Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Supermacs plaza being built in loughrea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

New supermacs plaza being built in loughrea, similar in size to tuam. Keeping an eye out if there are any chargers going in.

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Don't think so

https://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/201735/0

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's this on the planning permission

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Good man Liam. I didn't have a chance to look deeper. 1 space though? Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is already 2 X 50kW chargers in the town 1 esb and 1 easygo. It is bad planning to not at least put in the ducting and planning for a future hub at a new petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Most of those "the plaza" rest stops have been very forward in getting multiple chargers installed.

I would guess that there's 2 going in and it's a case of the fontr running over from the one air/service spot into the next making it look like one EV spot

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭WattsUp

It that place not built 2 years ago on the Loughrea junction of the M6. It has a 50 and 150 charger

https://www.plazagroup.ie/ourproperty/the-galway-plaza/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

A queue would be ideal for Supermacs, have the kids in back screaming for grub. Captive customers and a maximum return on investment, charger is in constant use.

There's a 50kw charger across the road in supervalu too that doesn't seem to get much use so maybe that'll help.

• Advertisement

Naa thats just off the motor this in the town near the Lough rea spa hotel (nearly finished build now and part of the plaza group). Interesting the same person owns the plaza group (supermac's) and So Hotel group (which loughrea spa hotel is part of).

No shortage of chargers in loughrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe they're being nice and putting the air/water near the charger? Since the car is pinned in place for ~30 mins then it's ample time to check the tyres and top up the screenwash or give the car a quick clean

I remember Bjorn showed a Circle K charging hub where they had the services right beside the chargers, seemed to be a great idea

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Opposite opinion incoming.

I think the service area should be nowhere near the chargers. People use the service area to park up and go into the shop or use the toilets. They've no issue in parking at a charger to do this. First hand experience is the circle k at templeville. 2 service bays either side of the charger, and I've lost count of the amount of times that vans and cars take a spot to grab lunch or use the facilities.

I agree with mfceiling, I've been affected by this at Glasnevin and Templeville too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its the same with parent and child spaces.

The architects/ operators plonk these wider spaces by the door, and with no legal framework to stop the "wrong" users parking there, they get used by boy racers or lads in jeeps to either be near the door or for the wider space. Parents with kids dont need to be near the door but they do need wider spaces to get baby seats out or just to open the door wide to clip in a child without bashing the door of the adjacent cars.

Just like your chargers, if you put them a little more out of the way then theres no temptation for cnuts to park there and shaft the people who really benefit from the spaces being there.

(although, if we are to have a europewide ban on sales of petrol/ diesel cars in a handful of years, any new car parks on motorways etc will need to have 50%+ of spaces with chargers and the current problem with trying to nab one of of just 2 or 3 chargers at a location becomes far less)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

I still think the time I came across the family having a picnic (foldable chairs, flask for the tea, sandwiches) in front of the 150kW charger at the Galway plaza was the best effort I’ve seen…the filthy looks they gave me as I asked them to move so I could charge was unreal…

I suppose they did move which was something , but the lack of cop on and total lack of any supervision over the space is the real problem at the moment.

Thats hilarious. As a culchie myself I have to applaud the bringing of a picnic but of course I'd probably have lost the head if I arrived to that at a charger

I wonder were they related to a certain Waterford service station owner 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

That's hilarious! Would they have their picnic in front of a Petrol or Diesel pump? I doubt it! The neck of some people in this country, and it is just getting worse.

Fair point, the example I saw was a petrol pump layout so it probably works better there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We have laws against this, I'm not advocating being a Karen about it but clear signage highlighting the laws being broke may free up ICE'ing spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

These plaza's are perfect for large charging bays. The whole point of them is to stop for 30 mins and refill yourself.

We always stop to let the kids out to the toilet and grab a burger. So having 20+ chargers would be a great incentive to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Unfortunately all the signs in the world don't trump laziness and stupidity. Last summer I had to get a big lump to move her Micra from a charging bay in Birdhill. Loads of empty spaces in the carpark but she though her Micra was now a Tesla!!

20 would be ambitious, probably cause a local blackout given how difficult it is for other chargers to get decent grid connections

But 4-6 of those 200kW units ESB installed in the last Plaza site would be great. They have dual plugs so can charge 2 cars at once

Advertisement