Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Always a good idea to speak to a sparks (had a chat with one on my issue afterwards), but check the breaker that trips and also what is in the cab - is it a B or C type and what are they rated to. Are they 16amp, 20amp.

But lets say the cab has a built in type C as it might have an initial large inrush current on power on. If in a fuse/breaker board upstream on the power circuit is a type B, it can trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CeX are a bit of a shitshow — twice I've purchased Folklore (PS3) from them a month apart and twice they've cancelled the order as when they went to check it wasn't actually in-stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Getting a bit sick of using a bandridge and joytech scart switch chained together. Even at that I only have 8 consoles ready to go with all the rest left with a setup involved each time. (Which means they don't get played!)

Thinking of picking up one of these https://m.axunworks.com/SCA101-RGB-SCART-Switcher-SCART-CHOOSE-ADJUSTMENT-p931.html

About 319 euro after shipping and then tax on top of that too, so it ain't cheap but the build quality looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Would you not consider the Hydra2? I've a couple and they work great. You can also add extra "heads" to it with 8 scart inputs.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=125

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thought this was a great watch (if a little exaggerated at times), if you've an hour to kill. Nice mix of nostalgia, problem solving, and tech (the latter is still fun to watch even if not fully understood)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I completely forgot they existed and funnily enough that's the one I was going to go for years back when I last looked up a proper solution!

That extra head option sounds really interesting, if I could have the equivalent of two of them, so 16 scart inputs that would probably sort me out.

/edit - Hydra ordered! 206 euro delivered and no worries about import fees.

Good stuff. By the way, you can turn the LEDs that cycle through the inputs off. Depending on where you have it the lights can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye. Hydras are the business. Just do the job asked of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The best comment

"That's at least a couple million dollars in games unless he bought everything new when it came out. Some playstation 1 and 2 games go for hundreds of dollars"

Post edited by Jack burton on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just got confirmation to order my Steam Deck, will have to sleep on it I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just got my email as well. Will be €675 poorer this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For what it’s worth, I’ve been very happy with it so far. A great complement to a desktop PC, and a pretty handy portable PC in its own right (the extra buttons are a godsend). Granted, I’ve mostly been using it as a Steam machine rather than diving into emulation etc…

There are definitely OS quirks, and I’m sure Valve will announce a premium model sooner rather than later based on sales so far. But it’s an excellent device so far, even with its current limitations and quirks.

Master of the Universe

675? Jesus! I'm fairly paranoid bringing my Switch away with me, Steam deck would never leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Anyone have problems with therage.ie lately ?

I picked up a Master System a few months ago.. took 3 weeks to arrive (I don't live in Dublin). But whatever it got there in the end and we were in the middle of the pandemic. Next order was a couple of games, arrived next day... most recent order is an Atari ST.. which arrived absolutely borked. Trashed RF port - you can make it work by leaning the cable up against the port but it doesn't actually stick in it in any way.. but the really bad parts are the Joystick ports.. ALL are broken or inaccessible rendering it unplayable. In the case of the front one its actually coming away from the board and moving around.In the case of the side ones the board inside is out of alignment with the chassis so you can't even plug one in.

They initially responded saying yeah, the RF thing we knew about, the others we didn't but we tested it (if the test was more than turn on and insert a disk to see if it will load up - which it will do, then I would be astonished because this is not the sort of damage that gets done in transit, at least not whatever is wrong with the front port).

I took a few days to look into a bit more etc, got some quotes to repair.. last 4 messages to them have been ignored however. They put up Facebook posts every few days, but just ignore me.

Anyone else have a similar experience of late ? As far as I can tell they are one of only two retro shops in the country.. its a real bummer if one of them is seriously this unreliable.

If you paid them by PayPal, you've tried to engage with them and they've ignored you, so raise a dispute for goods not as described. What other choice are they leaving you?

... good call. Just checked. It was Paypal.

Worst part is.. totally willing to work with them on this e.g... give me a decent discount off the next order and I will ship this off to the UK for repairs etc... But crickets since that initial contact. It sucks. Because I love their shop and would be spending a fair bit of money in there whilst I continue with the build out of this collection. With Brexit having screwed up UK prices, they are reasonably competitive for many things these days.

They've ignored your last four messages, yeah, as I say, what choice are they leaving you? No excuse for that crap service, and hearing that will likely put me off using them too.

... and just as I type that they get back to me (I had left a message on one of their promotional posts earlier today to try get their attention - absolutely hate doing that btw). They are sourcing another ST for me. Its slightly damaged, but I can make one good one between the two of them and frankly that's more than good enough for me.

I guess I'll be buying more stuff from them after all ! They do get some nice bits on a regular basis to be fair. And the prices don't seem to be as bad as eBay these days for most of it.

• Advertisement

I'm planning on doing a bit of retr0brighting over the summer and wanted to try the simple but apparently very effective 9-12% peroxide liquid in water under the sun version of the process. It works very well from the videos I've seen(mostly The 8bit Guy). Those are in the US, so have decent summer sun and still need the full day to work. I'll test under the Irish sun when we have the good weather again and also under some powerful UV flood lights(60-100W) in the workshop and see how it goes.

I found a source in Ireland that doesn't charge much and doesn't ask silly questions about why you want peroxide. The 12% was out of stock, so I grabbed the 9% and will just add a bit extra to the mix and hope for the best. The have a minimum order, so had to go for 9 litres :0/

The couriers must think my house is a meth lab with all the chemicals they delivery to me these days.

I've similar aspirations Steve, I kinda want to leave the peroxide cream technique behind now and go full peroxide immersion under UV, ala 8bitguy/RMC techniques.

Can you share the supplier, even by PM? Predictably, the main ingredient is the most awkward one to source here.

Out clearing out the family house garden shed, and decided it was time enough to move the 21" Ferguson and the 14" Trini to the attic, to keep them safer from the elements.

Carrying down the Ferguson, I figured I'd prefer test this before going to the bother of lifting it into the attic, as I also didn't want to test ~30 year old electronics inside the house either.... So I tested it in the garden, just a quick power on test....talk about magic smoke! Good lord, fizzing and banging and a big cloud of grey acrid smoke. It smoked for a while after, I actually thought it was on fire inside the case. So that's for the skip!

Tested my childhood 14" Trini, powers on but no screen coming on. Led lights up on button presses etc, but zero life from the screen itself.

Not a good day for crt's, which I'm more mindful of now than ever, can be absolute death traps 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If my solar panels and sunburnt balding scalp are anything to go by there's plenty of UV rays on a cloudy day in the Summer. The weather is supposed to be decent for the next two weeks but if you're ever waiting around for the Sun and not getting it, it could still be worth throwing something out anyway if it's cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I bought strips of UV LEDs for some retrobriting my pile of "junk" Super Famicoms. There's a hairdresser supply place in The Square in Tallaght, but every time I went in, they were so busy I had to leave before getting served and tbh, I couldn't find what I was looking for on the shelves.

These are the things I have for the job. I actually got a few of them for another project, but they will work well with retr0brighting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PSA: Klonoa 1 and 2 collections are getting released today on all major platforms in about 10 hours time.

It's the PS1/2 era platformers we all should of been playing instead of the mediocre Crash Bandicoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just the wonderswan game but I'm hoping to play the GBA games after my current game, which is unfortunately Fire Emblem and taking me a loooooong time.

Advertisement