Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cronenberg remaikng 'Crimes of the Future'

• 02-05-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭

It's nice to see the Canuck doing another film, but his original 1970 'Crimes of the Future' was a tedious bore, even though it was only an hour long. Plus it goes places that I cannot imagine would be tolerated with today's overly sensitive Twitter fuelled sensibilities either.

Viggo Mortensen is onboard, so I suppose he's taking in the role of Adrian Tripod, presuming that the new script follows the old one.

Of course, the new 'Crimes of the Future' may not resemble the 1970 one in any way except name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well the themes are right on trend I'd say. Just a case of getting the politics of the depiction correct.

Maybe he'll flip it round and its a world of sterile or dead men :) That'll keep the twitter commentariate quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This thread is quiet. Super excited for it. DC is one of the best directors of all time and rarely makes a misstep. "Buzz" from Cannes screening is that it's gonna be controversial. Details and teaser trailer below

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wonder why he chose to call it 'Crimes of the Future' when it looks like it has nothing to do with the 1970 film?

Odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's the trailer for this; and guess what? It's David Cronenberg, so it's super gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,818 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Very Cronenbergian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thread is a lie! 🙂

.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimes_of_the_Future_(2022_film)

The film has the same name as a 1970 film by Cronenberg but it is not a remake of said film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finished watching this evening as it cropped up on my IPTV server over the weekend.

While not up there with his best, it's still an intriguing watch. Set in a future where pain and infection is non existent, Viggo plays a performance artist that undergoes live surgery to remove random organs that continue to grow in his body. A commentary on evolution and the challenges facing the world its a really well put together piece of work. Performances across the board are top notch, particularly Kristen Stewart and Lea Seydoux. One I'll definitely revisit in the future, hopefully on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch. Had a few need-to-look-away-moments. Felt a bit similar in style to the first matrix film.. but.. like.. with no.. eh.. software/internet/display type computer tech. Don't get me wrong, there was definitely tech!

In the end I think the message was..

despite the cover-up of Brecken being able to digest the plastic/toxic waste.. that Tenser in that final scene just discovered he could. That maybe that was the source of all his pain and difficulties eating. That since he was such a publically know personality.. that the cover-up didn't matter as a Tenser reveal would happen anyway.

Could be way off with that as it ended abruptly there but that was my takeway.

So much body horror though for what they wanted to get across, I can understand the negative press. Also I'm not sure they needed to have

Brecken be a kid. I'd be thinking that did them no favours. Though I haven't looked into the reasoning behind the bad press. It's just a guess.

Pity someone didn't throw a 100 mil at Cronenberg for this. It could have really been something. But instead its a film that has its moments and is very intriguing at points but ultimately suffers from budget

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement