Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pocket Watch Repair

• 08-06-2022 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Just looking for a rough idea as to the likely price range to repair 2 pocket watches. I know very little about watches.

1 watch about 1880 Waltham Pocket watch. Main winder spring probably broken and needs replaced. Was working great, fantastic timekeeper, just stopped and main spring no tension.

1 Cilindergang Zakhorloge circa 1870, silver casing, pretty thing with a bit of quality to it, took a knock and now only functions when on its face, so balance mechanism damaged?

The Waltham is a gorgeous thing, nickel silver made for a graduate of West Point Academy.

I guess no-one can tell exactly whats wrong until they are opened up. But I'm hoping the bill might be below €200 as I don't think it would be worth me putting more cash into them if the bill is €300 plus. Could be more I guess if parts need to be made? And if i don't repair, is there any value in them?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Grandad1959

Hi your first watch more than likely needs a new main spring to do this it needs to be taken apart. But some will allow the main spring bridge to just be removed.

The second watch more than likely needs a new balance spring easy enough to get at.

The cost could be around 200 if your stripping right down and oiling and a rebuild.The value not working is about €50 for each watch, working you'll get what a person will pay maybe €150 per watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

@Grandad1959. Thanks for that, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Grandad1959

Your very welcome.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Hi, sorry to highjack the thread, I was going to start a thread with literally the same title….

can anyone recommend a place in Dublin for pocket watch repairs? It’s an old watch (think it’s early 1900’s). It still winds and ticks as far as i I can tell, the hands (?) kind of get stuck though

Sorry that’s all the info I have, I wouldn’t know where to even start diagnosing what might be wrong

Hi Simple Dimple

If its of any assistance, I use a watch maker in Holland. I bought 2 pocket watches from him on Catawiki.

One arrived with a problem (hands catching) which eventually led to the hands having to be replaced, which he did completely free of charge and was very gracious/kind in all his communications.

And you'll see from my first post that I was looking to get 2 repaired. I was checking out places in Ireland, but it was all very vague, wide ranging possibly up to €500, so I sent them back to the watch maker that I got them from for a quote, which I'm waiting on now.

But from my experience to date, he's very fair and knows what he's at. I can PM you his mobile number if you want to wats ap him to chat. He's very quick to respond.

• Advertisement

Just in case its of interest to anyone:

Cost to replace broken main spring. Waltham Pocket watch €60.

Cost to re-set balance and replace new glass Cilindergang pocket watch €30

Cost to service 1960's Enicar wrist watch €60. I'm very pleased with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're very reasonable prices indeed. 👍️

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hi Wibbs, thanks for comment, I was thinking that too.

He's a real interesting character. I guess possibly post retirement age, doing it for the love of it. He sends me photos as he's doing the work. I added the price of a good bottle of wine when I settled the bill

He also sent me a photo of a radial 9 cylinder WW2 aircraft engine that he had restored, now minus the prop. He did the work on the watches and started it up in his garage as a treat. Wonderful to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

@Chauncey Gardner please PM his details, my grandad's pocket watch has stopped working too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Please also PM contact details to me, as I have a pocket watch which belonged to my grandfather that needs a new glass.

Advertisement