Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Bob's Burgers Movie

Options
  • 11-01-2022 7:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, was perhaps bound to happen; your favourite burger family has their own movie - and mercifully, the Belcher's aren't going on holiday:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was planning to see this in cinema but have COVID so not looking great....but...it's coming to Disney+ on 13th July

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't get to see it in the cinema either (newborn + 18mo toddler means free time has become a Luxury), but delighted to hear it's coming to Disney+

Said it elsewhere in reply to you already gmisk, but it's a wonderful show that seems constantly overshadowed by other, lesser animated comedies on Fox.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw this in the cinema. Now, I'm the biggest advocate of the big-screen experience you'll find... but you're really not going to miss much seeing this at home 😅

It's an extended episode of Bob's Burgers, even more so than something like The Simpsons Movie. There is a sort of mystery plot, but it sticks to the same few locations as the show. This isn't some big, epic adventure: it's another day or two in the life of the Belchers and their neighbours. I've only seen the first few seasons so far (slowly working through them) but there's nothing here that really feels out of place with any given episode - some episodes have even had more 'epic' escapades than this. The extra budget was spent on some enjoyable musical numbers, a CG-assisted chase sequence, and a whole lot more animated shadows!

I like Bob's Burgers, and I liked this! They're clearly very comfortable with all these characters and tone at this stage, so it's an easy, 'comfort food' watch. It's still one of the most affectionate portrayals of the modern working class in modern American media. And the film has to good sense to give Louise - the most consistently entertaining of the main characters - the strongest and most involved arc. It'll be right at home alongside all the seasons of the show on Disney+.

It's great isnt it. It obviously has a decent fan base if it has been running for so long but I never really heard people here talk about it before the film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's probably that sleeper status that has let it stick to its formulae and never burn out through pressure of popularity. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite character, though obviously Louise has to figure in anyone's Best Of lists. I weirdly have a small soft spot for Teddy; he's such a loser and sad sack, but I find myself rooting for him.

• Advertisement

True it probably let them work away without much interference over the years.

There are a lot of great characters, even the smaller ones, but gotta be Tina for me :) (but Linda has some great moments)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stoofer

I'm a fan of the show. It has a gentle, low-key humour that's reminiscent of King of the Hill at times

In case anyone missed it, this came out on Disney+ during the week.

Caught it myself and was exactly what anyone might have wanted or hoped for: a feature length Bob's Burgers episode. The jokes landed, everyone behaved as you'd want them to, and the cinematic flourishes made it worth while. I enjoy hanging out with this fictional family the time flew by.

Perhaps the only gripe might be the music: the show has often had some really eclectic, earworm musical numbers, or pastiches of genre music. The few musical interludes in the film were not that great if I'm honest - but there were only 3 or 4 so wasn't a deal-breaker either, the rest being such a hoot.

Forgot to add, this was another movie with a mysterious badge noting support from the Irish government. That's cool if a local studio had some hand in this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lighthouse Studios in Kilkenny apparently did a good chunk (‘a lion’s share’ according to a quote on the page below) of the animation for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnny. That's rather fabulous to learn. Great to see Ireland still batting well with animation, be it directly or indirectly.

Bumped for no other reason than the YouTube Algorithm God decided to share the movie's most earworm'y song(?). The movie's songs weren't quite on par IMO with the show's occasional musical interludes - but I enjoyed this one.

One of my favourite from the tv show, episode is heavily influenced by the breakfast club and it's theme..

For context they want to get out of detention to attend the cotton candy festival

Wait wait. There's an album? Why did that never occur to me?

I love their riffs on genres; last memorable one being Bob's favourite prog-rock band that sounded just a little too convincing lol

Advertisement