Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep I use Stansted for work too. It won't suit everyone but it suits my needs. The early flight always had lots of construction type people on it too, who were regular flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean if you want to do that flight you're taking Friday and Monday off too and not getting anything really for it.

No I've often done the 5PM or 6PM Friday flights without needing to take the day off. I guess you and I travel a little bit differently!

The Rome flight is 13:15 so at best you're working til 11.30 that day. Won't be in until Rome until gone 6pm by the time you're out of the airport so don't really have much of Friday.

Even a flight at 5.30 out of Cork means most people can't really work that day and go to the airport (Friday evening traffic you'd want to leave your house/work by 3 I'd say unless you live very close)

I shouldn't take my own personal circumstances for granted, but most of the people I work with (customers and colleagues) can make Friday afternoon flights without issue and without needing a day off. Midday flights are a different story: I'd need a half day for sure. But 17:30 flight is reasonably straightforward for me, even taking traffic into account.

Again, I shouldn't take my own circumstances for granted, but I know a lot of people for whom the Friday evening and Sunday evening flights are desirable.

Edit: I also wouldn't be near as interested in a "Weekend" trip that took me until Tuesday to return from. It would be effectively 4 nights, which would be quite disruptive for me, with little extra gain. With weekend trips, you're realistically talking about short city breaks. There doesn't tend to be much to do on Monday, or indeed Tuesday.

Think of London, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Girona, Munich, etc. Those places, I don't think I need to stay a few extra days. I'd probably prefer two trips over one longer trip. Again, I guess you and I travel a little differently. And that's OK too.

Second Edit: I think four consecutive days in Berlin, Amsterdam or Munich would possibly come close to breaking me completely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Just popping in to say Cork airport was by far the nicest airport I went through in the last two weeks of travel. Security was a pure doddle, I think it took 3 minutes. I did have to take out laptop and liquids but that’s fine, only takes moments. Even at 5am the restaurant was open on airside with hot cooked breakfast. Im just running over my business expenses , the very pleasant lady at the til charged me for a kids brekkie (sausage , tomato and a black pudding) which was very reasonable of her, told me there was free orange juice with it if I wanted, and the bill was the cheapest of any of the 6 airports I was in.

The shop asked if they could hold any duty free purchases for me for my return.

It was clean, efficient and every member of staff I met or saw was nice. Just a joy to pass through, they do us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Nice to see Ryanair confirming the extention of some of the summer routes into the winter. Nice to have some options for those who like to travel off peak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Airport is much busier than projected at the start of the year. Current projections are to easily exceed 2 million pax this year and be back to the 2019 numbers by 2024.

In October of last year they were projecting 1.5 million for 2022, in December they said 1.8 million and now it’s at 2.1 million. Hopefully we see more routes announced another European capital like Athens or Berlin would be great, or even a return of Lisbon or Budapest.

I don't think we'll get large numbers back in Cork until we get other airlines or Aer Lingus ramp back up. They've feck all routes out of Cork now (is it just Heathrow, Amsterdam, Dubrovnik and a few Spanish routes?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

To hell with Aer Lingus, they might as well call themselves Aer Dublin at this point!

Getting other airlines in is the best way forward and COrk has been pretty successful there: Daily flights with KLM to AMS, regular flights to CDG in the summer with Air France, all-year to Paris Orly with Vueling, regular connections to Frankfurt with Lufthansa as well as to Geneva with Swiss and Zurich with Edelweiss Air (Swiss' leisure brand), almost all of whom were acquired within the last 2 years, Lufthansa actually starting service during the pandemic. The additional Ryanair flights don't hurt either, as much as I dislike that particular airline! The route development team at Cork Airport is doing a pretty good job in a tough environment.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

If you read the article there are 42 routes out of the airport this year.

Mostly Ryanair tbh. I can't be the only one who dislike flying with Ryanair, so would prefer more airlines like Are Lingus, BA, Lufthansa coming to the airport rather than the low cost carriers.

I'd only fly Ryanair if I've no real alternative tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Same. I don't really like Ryanair but would pick a Ryanair flight out of Cork over any other airline out of Dublin. We have to keep the footfall up in our little airport if we want to keep it as a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Anyone know if there will be Geneva flights again this winter? I booked Dublin Geneva for skiing a good few months in advance last year and was really pissed off when Cork Geneva started out of nowhere last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

No announcement yet re aer lingus winter schedule. Its actually a big bug bearer of mine that ryanair and aer lingus leave it late enought to announced schedules for the regionals. Ie for the summer announcements are usually made feb/march but the mojority of people start planning summer hols in jan. Gor caught once or twice having booked flights from dublin only for the route to be announced ex cork or shannon a few wks later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, as it happens the Geneva flight was Swiss Air but agree with your comment generally

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Hi all.

Have a flight early Thursday morning departing around 8.30am

Is there anything open for food around 6.30-7am airside?

Pretty much everything, at least from my experience back in May. The food court was definitely open and serving breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, went through this week and last. Food there at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aer Lingus just emailed me to say they are cancelling our flight to Amsterdam from Cork, just screwed our travel plans :(

• Advertisement

That's awful. We are flying to London tomorrow and all day I've been checking to see if we have any email - I have a medical appointment there so would be gutted if it was cancelled. Have they offered you any alternative?, when were you due to fly?

They offered a refund or voucher.

Due to fly next monday.

Have you checked KLM to see if they still have seats? Aer Lingus aren't the only players on the Cork Amsterdam route and the morning flight leaves at about the same time as the EI flight. It won't be cheap at this short notice, but it's still worth checking out.

As per Thomils post - i looked at the KLM site and they have seats available for next Monday - definitely worth a try.

Thanks folks,we booked with KLM.

Hopefully that one won’t get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ring Aer Lingus and get them to put you on the KLM flights. In the event of cancellations etc operators can put you on a competitors plane, they mightn't tell you that but they do need to if necessary.

The odd KLM is cancelled, but they go at least 2x daily so you'll be ok.

It says on the aer Lingus site the flight is full but not cancelled.

I spoke with an are Lingus agent and they only offered refund or voucher due to operations being cancelled.

We took the refund and booked ourselves with KLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You will be entitled to additional compensation due to the short notice you were given of your cancelled flight (less than 14 days iirc). Make sure you claim it. Aer Lingus will not tell you about it, but will pay without fuss if claimed.

I'm curious to know whether Aer Lingus are obliged to have offered to book you onto the KLM flight. Doesn't matter now anyway, but something I'm not clear on should I ever find myself in that situation. I know airlines have to offer you the choice to be re-routed to your destination asap, but whether that can/should be offered on a rival airline (provided they operate the route) I'm not sure.....

• Advertisement

Thanks, good to know.

They are only giving me the refund for the plane tickets we paid for, there was no mention of the short notice compensation which I assume its too late now to apply for as the refund is currently being processed?

There was also no mention to fly with KLM. Id say they are over loaded with queries and requests now as they were really slow getting back.

Advertisement