Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips on getting good value on Bathroom sanitary ware and fittings

• 22-06-2022 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Looking for a towel rad, bath, bath taps, shower set, bath screen, floating toilet, vanity unit and heated mirror.

Fittings to be black or maybe brass coloured. No chrome.

Anyone have any recomendations for somewhere with good discounts but decent quality? Is it worth looking at European websites?

Amazon has some very cheap gear but it's so much cheaper in some cases I'm thinking it is too good to be true

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Have you tried Northern Ireland? If you have access to a van you could collect yourself.

I use James McKervey & Sons in Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭seandalaiocht

I haven't looked North actually. Could be a good option, will see if I can see a Northern Ireland supplier with a websit. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭letsbefair

Reuters in Germany are worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

The stuff you purchase in the north will most probably be imperial sizes, while we use metric sizes here, mate kitted out his house with Northern goods years ago and got big bill from plumber who had to MacGyver it all together; same may be true of stuff from Germany, different standard sizes? Don't think french gear will work seamlessly here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

UK uses metric and Ireland uses imperial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭fdevine

I found very reasonable prices on Bathshack. Based in NI. Showroom in Dublin IIRC. Delivery available from NI

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psawyer

Bathroom factory warehouse on long mile road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭djdunny

+1 for Bathshack. Showroom in Douglas in Cork too

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭intro

Hi,

I have used megabad.com and reuter.com , both German, to buy sanitary ware when we were doing a major renovation on our house in 2019. Absolutely no problem with compatibility.

On one order from megabad the WC bowl was broken, no doubt by the Irish couriers who dumped the package in the front garden and ran. Emailed megabad, they asked for a photo and then dispatched another unit.

They both use the same item numbers so it is easy to compare pricing on both websites. I found reuters slightly more expensive but the website is in English. If you open the sites in Google chrome it will automatically translate so not much of a problem.

We found a huge difference in price on some items eg wall hung toilet frames Grohe Rapid 3 in 1 Item number :38772001 (Reuters €167, Megabad €155) If I remember correctly we were being quoted well north of €500 in Dublin for it. It was just over €200 including wc bowl from Germany. Cheapest we found in the North was around €400. Same with shower units half Irish price or less. There is good savings on fittings as well, toilet roll holders, towel rings etc. When your buying a few items delivery cost was not a problem.

I didn't see a big difference on standard items floor standing WC’c, WHB’s but saying that I bought two (no brand) WC’s from a local supplier and one of them has had the syphon changed twice. I'm sorry I didn't buy them from germany.

Baths are not worth buying form them as they drive up the delivery price unless it something very special!

The majority of their plumbing stuff is for pressurised systems but they have smaller range of stuff for unpressurised systems.

For bathroom cabinets we fond Ikea to be the best value.

Advertisement