Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks, it's a mantra I find myself repeating very often on here but, this really is the nicest corner of boards.

The posts and messages have really lightened the mood in our house not that it was too low in any case 😉

Thanks to each and every one of ye 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

News like that really makes arguing about the best clasp type on a watch seem ridiculous 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 64,727 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I hope & presume it's breast cancer. My sister is going through it now. Caught early, chance of full recovery is 98-99% these days. Operation (tougher than she thought), chemo, radiation and now recovery. All in all taking a good 6-12 months before she'll be back to her usual self but she's taking it very well and so are her partner & kids (late teens like your son). Awful thing to have to go through but the super good prognosis helps a lot in seeing the light at the end of it. All the best banie for your family and yourself.

Thanks Unk your presumption is bang on. Health and best wishes to your sister and her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

Banie: modern medicine is great. She should be grand. (Mightn't always feel that way while undergoing treatment) Best of luck with it for the whole household.

Cienciano: Arguing about watch clasps needs no help to look foolish. It manages this all by itself. (The only correct answer is Velcro)

I'm off now to see if I can beat my 5 metre spring bar record. Hoping I don't, because that'll mean the rotten yoke finally got fitted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Rooting for you Banie. Fingers crossed she will be fine and as others have said, the odds of recovery are in her favour with the early detection. Stay strong and positive and a little time will sort everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hope everything goes well and the very best of luck to you and your wife.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Catching it early is the important thing banie, hope she makes a full recovery. But you both have a tough road for the next few months.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

LOL, I doubt it. That website was only registered yesterday. O'Malley is an idiot for obviously not (or no longer) owning that domain name. Someone is putting on a massive troll here 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lads, the Omega constellation I bought the wife hasn't worked out, it's just too small and doesn't suit, so I'm selling it naturally enough.

27mm Stainless steel with a diamond bezel and MOP dial.

What's the best way to sell? It comes with box and papers. I'm in Oman this week but will be back in Ireland for a few weeks from next week. I can probably sell here easily enough but I'd rather euro than local currency. Link below to an identical watch.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/---27mm----constellation-co-axial-chronometer-27mm-diamonds-bezel-brush--id21823484.htm

• Advertisement

Upmarket resort here in Türkiye as they now want to be called internationally. Spotted several Rolex today 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Rolex or Folex ? Anything in the AD ?

They were real alright, and I didn't have to go close to know it. This is a 5 star secluded remote resort from a Swiss shareholders only vacation company. Some of you regulars will not like what I'm going to say next, but it passed the litmus test. Almost no tattoos to he seen.

And before anyone asks, no I am not a shareholder. Got the required points from my best mate who is not using them recently

That sounds an awful lot like a timeshare resort.

It is. Google Hapimag. We're in Bodrum

I'm 54 and could do with losing 2 stone, but I'm no gonner yet,😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Look at those big wrists, makes the windsurfer look small. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had two graduation ceremonies in our school yesterday, I am the Head Teacher, and one thing I'll say about the Levantine, Arabs and Persian people (to be politically correct in how I describe them) watches are huge and the only way to conspicuously consume particularly when you wear dishdasha and abayas. Omega constellation lady, lady datejusts, Cartier for the ladies. For the men Datejusts, one white gold Day Date and a few APs for the men.

• Advertisement

In Bodrum town today. When I looked into a window of not that great Rolex fakes, the seller comes up to me, spots my good Rolex and brings me to an enclosed room about 50m from the shop. With good fakes. Bloody hell every RM, AP, Patek and Rolex were there. Looking pretty good, couldn't spot fakeness with my naked eye on a JC I inspected - unfortunately didn't have any loupe with me. About €300 each though, before negotiation. Not really interested in buying. Scary these things are getting so good

ive never been to turkey but was lead to believe it’s not the safest of places to wander around without hotel guide or security?Your obviously finding it all right if you wearing your JC while window shopping.

Feels pretty safe here. And the good thing about any dictatorship is that if you are convicted of a crime you do seriously hard time. Watch midnight express😂

Not many places I wouldnt be happy wearing my Rolex. I guess London.

I wouldn't like being beaten up by 3 scumbags. Not worried about the watch at all, it's insured

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Posting watch to Portugal, who can I use to ensure fully declared and insured?

My own experience of sending a watch overseas is likely nowhere near the value of what you are sending 893 😉 but I found that AnPost Courier option and Securus insurance was the option I used.

I may have asked this question before? But, I have an Huangzhou 6460 GMT (ETA 2836 clone) movement lying spare. I fancy turning my hand to sticking it in a case. What I can't narrow down is what to build, the only kits I can find are all Rolex lookalikes, and I don't want to build a Rolex clone unless it's an old style explorer 2 maybe?

I suppose the best person to direct the question to is probably @Blanchy90 ? But anyone who might have a clue, please chime in.

Where could I source a case, dial and hands to build my own weird watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

If you go to aliexpress and search 2836 it should give you a wide range of hands, cases etc. There should be all kind of options for you. And then you just have to wait three months for delivery....

You just need to make sure the face fits the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I was listening to a podcast and Stephen Bradley, the Shamrock Rovers manager was interviewed. He mentioned getting beaten up in London. In 2005 he played for Arsenal, he bought an expensive watch (I would assume a Rolex) and he said a group of lads followed him home and broke into his house. Stabbed him in the head! All after seeing him wear a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

• Advertisement
Advertisement