Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1975 Pandora International restoration

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Faerdan

Thanks @AndyBoBandy!

I ran the outboard late last year, and plan to give it a quick service (change the oil and filter, and I've a spare sparkplug if it needs it) before I launch her.

The deck is painted, though I'll leave the anti-slip areas until next year as they need to be redone. I'm installing the windows and deck hardware today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

She's looking fantastic, like new! You're going to have to buy new sails now! Best of luck with the launch and maiden voyage.

It's been a momentous week for me. We launched the boat on Monday, though without raising the mast as there was still a lot of work to do on the new rigging. We motored from the launch slip to her new home. Over the week we completed work on the rigging, assembled a new furler, raised the mast, and today I tuned the rigging using a loose guage, added the boom, and the running rigging. Tomorrow will be, weather permitting, the first sail!

I have had a lot of help these past few weeks. Many I won't name here as they are not on Boards. @WildWater has been a massive help, and a good friend. He's helped me prep the boat for launch, launch it, and raise the mast. All things that I haven't done before, and his experience has been invaluable.

I've blurred out faces in these photos as I didn't ask anyone for permission to post these publicly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Congratulations she looks amazing 👏 ⛵️

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

It’s a continuing pleasure. Looking forward to seeing her under sail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Well done. Looks fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Excellent work, hadn't caught the update since the new boards layout, glad I did!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words!

I finished off the running rigging and sails today. It was too windy for a maiden/shakedown sail though, I will wait for better weather. Everything on the boat is new and untested, I don't want to push it too hard on the first sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

I have it on good authority that the 1st sail was had today. I’m sure @Faerdan will be along in due course to tell us all about it.

Thanks @WildWater. We took her out in a moderate breeze yesterday, and it was fantastic.

The mainsail is shot, it doesn't hold any wind, but she sailed very well despite that - particularly as most of the canvas on the boat is in the (comparatively) massive genoa. Everything looks good, the standing and running rigging performed well. I've sourced a used mailsail, in much better condition than mine, to get me through this season.

I've some issue with the outboard, it seems to have a fuel starvation issue. I'm going to work on it today, following some YouTube videos to give it a server and test it on a stand.

All in all a fantastic start.

• Advertisement

The restoration, there is still a ton to do on the deck and cabin, is on hold while she is in the water. The plan is to move the boat back into my workshop when I take it out of the water at the end of the season.

My two sons, 15 and 11, have taken to sailing big time. We've had great experiences on Lough Corrib. Here are some pics of her from the past few days.

I'll post again once I get back to the restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Lovely pics !

Advertisement