Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I always wish there were more construction photos here like with the roads forum.

Anyway, practicing what i preach, here's one of the Athlone bridge construction. Crane on an island halfway. Beginning to take shape at the approaches. Very zig-zag to get to the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

The Cycling Show (1-3) | Player | Irish Television Channel, Súil Eile (tg4.ie)

There's a short section on Greenways in the episode above, from 08:13 in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was on the Royal canal around Ballymahon, Longford . There's a bog adjacent to the canal called Corlea that's getting a lot of work done to turn it into a Greenway Park. Mostly along the bog rail that's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Risoc

What's a Greenway Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Like with Lough Boora, loads of trails around a now disused bog. Because it's along disused bog railway I think it can be defined as a Greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Athlone local radio program has Boxer Moran discussing the route of the Greenway after the bridge in Athlone. So we go under the town bridge arch, onto the castle, through "the meadow" past the Shamrock Lodge and "onto Galway"

I'm miffed at how to draw a line (or even a zigzag) in that direction but its not the first time a politician/taxi driver has confused me.

https://www.mixcloud.com/AthloneCommunityRadio/streetwiseathloneepisode26/

(last interview in the podcast if ye want to skip the local crapp)

A near enough full flyover of the Midleton Youghal Greenway. It looks like he took a break to drive and catch up with his drone or something. Midleton side looking a lot further along and that's with the Youghal end being finished off with a wooden boardwalk. They should be able to open Midleton Mogeely shortly with a bit of signage and fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not wishing to be negative, but it makes the Limerick greenway look exciting, not even a bend in the path to keep you awake.

In the words of General Melchett from Blackadder "god its a barren featureless desert out there!" - But that's East Cork for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Trivia: the water tower on the left @ 4:18 is a remnant of when that site was built as a base for the Royal Naval Airship Service in 1918/1919. The base was never completed and subsequently dismantled.

The drone footage doesn't show what they have done West of Killeagh where someone has build a house and a machinery yard on the railway / greenway itself. Must go take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,718 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would have been better as a railway, if only to prevent cyclists falling asleep and crashing.

• Advertisement

• The next consultation phase for the Galway to Oughterard greenway is now open for submissions. You can make a submission through the website, email, post or in person at one of the events

Following the first non-statutory public consultation in February / March 2022, the project has progressed further and Galway County Council, in conjunction with Galway City Council now invite the residents of the local area, members of the public and other interested parties to participate in a second non-statutory public consultation on the Route Corridor Options for the project. Your participation in this consultation is important and we would value any feedback which you think should be reviewed by the project team to help inform the development of the project.

The project is currently within Phase 2: Options Selection, which involves the examination of options in order to determine a Preferred Option. The purpose of this public consultation is to inform the public of the option selection process and invite feedback on the Route Corridor Options.

A series of in-person public consultation events will take place in Moycullen, Oughterard and Galway City between 21-06-22 and 23-06-22:

• Áras Uillinn Moycullen
    • Tuesday 21st June 2022 – 12:00-21:00
    • Oughterard Community Centre
    • Wednesday 22nd June 2022 – 12:00-21:00
    • Clybaun Hotel, Clybaun Rd, Galway City
    • Thursday 23rd June 2022 – 12:00-21:00

In addition, all relevant material will also be made available on the project website to allow for virtual means of consultation. 

The information will be accessible online at https://galwaytooughterardgreenway.ie/ from Friday 17th June 2022, throughout the consultation period and beyond with submissions accepted until Friday 15th July 2022.

Please submit your views and feedback online or send by post or by email on or before Friday 15th July 2022. Alternatively, please attend one of our in-person consultation events, where members of the project team will be available to discuss any queries or concerns regarding the project. 

Email:                  galwaytooughterardgreenway@aecom.com

Post:                   Connemara Greenway Project, NRPO Office, Galway County Council, Corporate House, City East Business Park, Ballybrit, Galway, H91 KT67

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

This place? https://goo.gl/maps/Lbz4avgdn5Wwwdws7

That house looks like it was the original house for the level crossing keeper, it's not actually on the line but immediately adjacent to it.

There doesn't appear to be any groundworks to go around the yard as of Jan 2021 from Google Earth.

If the owners have planning permission for the yard/front of house I would expect that they'd CPO some cheap adjacent land and chicane around them.

Even if they don't have planning permission, they might be there long enough for adverse possession to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭pigtown

A small section of what will be the Limerick-Scariff greenway has had some work done and is now a clear wide gravel path. It was previously a track that was often overgrown and muddy.

This seems to be independent of the greenway works as the final route for that hasn't yet been selected

https://twitter.com/MargaretCahill_/status/1535715229358866435?t=8IYw6Q9ls8ud11GBxlfb8w&s=19

Agree with the first part of your post. It is flat and straight with farmlands either side until you get to Ballyvergan Marsh. So they might have to make the most of the attractions possible. It runs alongside the distillery at the Midleton end so Jameson might market it well by opening up the fence with a bit of a view of the distillery buildings.

East Cork is great though. A few notice boards on local history could make people see things they'd immediately cycle past. There's an old walkway bisecting the line outside Midleton which follows a river that used run the old turbine in the Distillery. That would cost little to restore and I know a few locals are pushing that to make a ring walk around Midleton to include a bit of the Greenway. There is a nice ruin, Cahermone Castle near there aswell. It is extremely near to the Greenway. Trees currently obscure the view and I'd say 90% of cyclists and pedestrians wouldn't know it's there. Then you have the Bladebridge built using decommissioned air turbine blades.

The Waterford Greenway is great at Halloween. I guess it might be distasteful to landmark the unidentified body and coffin found at the Shanty Gate?

And that's just the Midleton end that I'm familiar with. You could do a detour in Killeagh to link in to Glenbower Wood aswell, a beautiful area and in addition to the Naval Base. They are making a wooden boardwalk for the last 1.5km in Youghal alright to create a bird-watching area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The plan was a CPO and chicane yep. I don't know what the end result is.

Yep I'm a big fan of East Cork too. There's a lot of hidden gems in East Cork. From a Victorian infrastructure perspective, Midleton to Youghal might not be riveting, but it does have plenty else.

You've mentioned some good bits at the West, but the ending at Youghal Beach is worth a shout too. Clonea is not quite ON the greenway, whereas Youghal Beach most certainly is. Glenbower in Killeagh is a bit off the greenway itself but it's an attraction. It's not bad for a 20k section of greenway.

I think the ~9km Killeagh to Youghal section will be the only "boring" bit really. And perhaps the marshes will be able to provide something of interest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I honestly don't think boring* will be an issue for any Greenway, once it has a high level of segregation from road traffic. There is clearly a huge appetite for these facilities from a broad spectrum of the population so any good facility will attract users. Midleton - Youghal might not have tourists flocking there in huge numbers but I'm sure there will be no shortage of users.

For me, the main advantage of Midleton - Youghal is its potential as part of a much bigger south coast route. There are plans for linking from it to Cork city, if it could be linked to Dungarvan you'd then have Greenway from New Ross to Cork city. There is also the South Wexford former rail route which would create Rosslare to Cork. I could see cycling that becoming a Bucket List type journey.

*I know people don't mean Midleton- Youghal would be boring in the usual meaning of the word, just not as scenic as other Greenways.

I think they're planning to continue the Dungarvan greenway along the rest of the former railway to Fermoy, not sure if there are plans to connect that down to Youghal. The Waterford-Rosslare greenway seems to be in limbo as a lot of Wexford politicians want to see the railway restored.

Good luck with that, most of Mallow-Dungarvan route is now farmland having been sold off soon after closure and unlike the current greenway was not retained for years afterwards by CIE.

Very wishful thinking that they'll ever get it back.

didn't stop them in Mayo, and it's been established in Kerry now that they can CPO if necessary. If it was a road no one would be saying "good luck building that through farmland".

All I know is the councils have been given funding to plan the extension towards Fermoy

• Advertisement

No it's very very different.

Prime agricultural land vs rocks and sheep. Expect some pushback from farmers who don't want their fields divided. There are great long stretches of nothing; no trackbed, no ditches, just open fields.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The good thing about a potential future greenway though is that it doesn't have to slavishly follow the exact route of the former railway for 100% of its length. Pragmatic routing options can be developed to minimise division of fields etc.

Although I'm sure we'll hear the same idiotic nonsense like we did in South Kerry such as that the greenway should run adjacent to the main road! 🙄

I got curious and I looked at Riddlin's map in Satellite view and 90-95% of the route that goes through farmland is still ditch/double ditch boundary between fields. Although a CPO would still be needed, the number of fields/farms affected by splitting might not be as high as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's not just about being close to a ditch; what if there is a dairy herd both sides, how does silage get hauled across Greenway, what if Greenway brings people, dogs etc who's presence is in contravention of a food quality scheme?

The solution to the above is expensive, and CPO will get very expensive quickly.

The CPO route for roads, ESB sees a lot of noses in the trough to be fed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Same way a farmer can manage a herd either side of a road - an ingenious invention called the gate. Routing a greenway through farmland is no more obtrusive or difficult than it would be crossing roads (far easier logistically).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You should really tell Waterford county council about all the money they wasted on underpasses. While you are at it tell all the dairy farmers constructing them to just use a gate...

Gate compliant with disease control for quality food schemes?

Happy to have 100 silage trailers crossing per day and mix with kids on bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do we not already have silage trailers going up roads mixing with kids bikes ?

The kids should be helping out and driving the tractors instead of arsing around on bikes. In my day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaA1P4FcvSk

Yep, and being able to get a train and greenway from Cork or Cobh to Youghal beach would be a genuinely attractive tourist network. Let alone a Blarney, Cobh, Midleton, Youghal network. I'm not worried about "boring" at all. I don't think I really look at a whole pile of scenery for the majority of time I'm on the Waterford to Dungarvan greenway either. There are destinations en-route, there is relaxed chat, you can switch off and not worry about traffic. The scenery isn't the big attraction, at least for me.

And most greenway users will be local. Midleton and Youghal (and Killeagh and Castlemartyr) people won't be too worried about the perceived lack of scenery.

• Advertisement

Luckily for us, we have more money for sustainable infrastructure projects than ever before. And luckily for those projects, roads infrastructure is obscenely expensive. I don't foresee money being a significant obstacle.

Advertisement