Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Train in Vain

If your report was a book I’d say it was unputdownable. I couldn’t stop reading even though I wanted to. That last part sounded so painful and, to be honest, quite frightening. You’re a beast for finishing. I hope you’re feeling okay and continuing to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I had to re-read that. Your hand and jaw locked?? The only things i could think of was that they were the result of gritted teeth and clenched fists, as you absolutely toughed that out. Fair play and a great report.

Singers post is well timed. I'm no marathon runner but experience cramp at times. Last weekend after my 1500 race both calves started to cramp during my warm down. And before i could even start my warm down after the Trim 10 mile they properly locked up that i couldn't walk. Any other times I've felt cramp has been on easy runs on tired legs. Maybe it is just hydration for me too but I'm open to the possibility of it being something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Haha to be fair, I do remember parts of of the first 87%(did you manually count the words?) . I started to draft a bit more about it, but I didn't know any road names and was giddy to get to the drama 😀

Thanks, yeh I'm not too bad now, still a bit tight in the legs but eager to get back out running later in the week.

I think the more I was concentrating on breathing and trying to loosen out the leg cramps, my upper body was tightening up simultaneously. Simply a weird experience. In terms of cramping, it has happened me in the past but not compared to Sunday when i felt fully in control. Yeh what singer posted adds some food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That sounds horrible - you have my every sympathy as a fellow cramper. I can remember running Manchester and spending 20-30 mins in a massage tent as every muscle in my body went into spasm - hands, feet, neck, everything - its not a nice experience.

I've tried so many things to help my history of cramping - if you've ran other marathons and not cramped, well maybe the electrolytes will help - I hope its as simple as that for you.

If only you had punched your legs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

He actually did!

Yeh @AuldManKing I missed that crucial nugget of info above. I did try it initially but nothing happened for me bar a few odd looks as runners passed me by

Post edited by Lambay island on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yikes, what an ordeal. I'm looking forward to reading Singer's links there as dehydration is what popped into my head too - mainly because you were able to down three bottles of water at that water station - didn't realise that was even possible.

Love those bits where you questioned what you were seeing - no better depiction of the marathon fog. You were definitely bonked but then again most of us usually are in the final couple of miles.

Also, the sniffles. You had a lot of stuff going on. Well done on finishing out, serious HTFU in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wowser, that sounds pretty horrific. Amazing that you finished, serious mental toughness (or madness 😉) to get through those last few miles. Dehydration may not have been the only issue at play in the cramps but it was definitely a factor if you were able to knock back 3 bottles of water at a water station 😱 At that stage of a marathon i wouldn't be able stomach 3 sips never mind 3 bottles - we are all different but 3 bottles is definitely extreme! No doubt you will take on board the advice of your fellow fast runners around here and knock it out of the park in DCM 😊 Well done on a sub 3:10 marathon all the same, some achievement just to cross that line in what is still a very respectable time and you should take confidence that for 22-23 miles you were cruising at sub 3hr pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I don't know how you finished that marathon!!! That sounded horrific. Hope you're recovering ok.

It may have been a different story, if I didn't have to go back that way to get to my bag. To add to Swashbucklers hero status on the day, he actually also retrieved my belongings from the bag drop, as I was chilling out in the massage tent😄. Went out for easy run with the guys last night so all good, thanks 👍

A bit of peer pressure from Swashbuckler 😃 has my back to write a race report..

I've been ticking away the last few weeks without any massive motivation. Milage has been ok, but have not done a long run since Limerick as havn't been feeling the grá for the longer stuff. I had my first win at a park run towards the end of May down at bushy park, It wasn't a particularly strong field but it involved a bit of a 1 on 1 race in the last km to steal it. I was hoping I would kick on from that but with hectic schedule with work and life etc, my running kind of stalled there for a period.

The one consistency in the last month has I have been attending the club session in UCD on a Tuesday. This is always a great workout and tend to push myself to keep up with some of the faster guys on a some of these reps. I had no real expectations here. I hadn't been doing enough to think I was in PB shape anyway. My race PB was 36.16 at the Great Ireland run in April when I was in depths of marathon training. I believed I was in better shape then so maybe sneaking under 37 was my thinking here.

Dunshaughlin 10km

I got myself down nice an early here and joined up with club members for a warmup. I'm never a massive fan of late races as don't know what to be doing food wise during the day. I ended up eating pasta about 3pm but found myself a bit peckish at the start when I looked in the community hall as they were preparing the sandwich spread for afterwards.☺️

Mile 1

I simply shot off too fast. I knew it was a downhill start so pre- race I was telling myself don't get caught up in speeding down to the first turn at the edge of town. Unknowingly, I did the exact opposite . As I approached said corner, I glanced at watch to see 5.15 pace staring back at me. Right, "ease off Ingebrigtsen or you will be walking from 3km" Within about 200 metres as we exited the town, the pace leveled off about 5.40-45 . I had a clubmate just ahead of me who had been training to similar levels( him been slightly stronger) recently in UCD so I was happy to sit just off him. 5.41

Mile 2

I was keeping the same pace here and in doing so I was occasionally picking off a runner or 2 and briefly joining mini groups of 3 to 4 runners. I knew the profile of the course but didn't know the route so was conscious on some of these bends to run the racing line as best as I could. This mile was relatively flat with a few small hills and from looking at strava afterwards, it was slightly net downhill. My clubmate was still about 10 paces ahead of me through this mile so was content with pacing for now . 5.44

Mile 3

Very much the same here as Mile 2 although there was a longer drag on this section and was the first uphill mile so to speak. Again, by keeping the pace consistent, we were still passing the occasional runner. Towards the latter part of this drag, I went level with clubmate for a period before I worked a little to catch the next mini group of 3 or 4 runners. My clubmate sat off that particular move. 5.45

Mile 4

I glanced at the watch here at the 5k mark and pace was still similar and had gone through 5km in about 17.47. I was thinking now, that was a bit hot and I knew mile 5 had a considerable climb. I was definitely doubting if I could hold this pace and semi regretting making the work to join that mini group "my brain is writing checks my body can't cash". As it turns out, I was in a solid group where I was sharing the workload with yellow bib guy(maybe leevale). This mile as it turns out was a net decline although didn't really notice it at the time. 5.40

Mile 5

Right, Business end of proceedings " What have you got here champ went through my head as I giggled to myself thinking the madness of this racing lark. Right turn back towards town delivered a fairly tasty uphill section with a bit of wind in the face. My initial thoughts for this mile imagined a long drag but it wasn't that at all. It was a steep hill for approx 400 metres followed by it been leveled off then. I could see the chalk written on the roads with names. Is it past winners? duno, but it helped distract me on the climb. I had yellow vest next to me all through this section and I think we helped each other a lot here as we seemed to drop the other 2 at that stage. There was a real low blinding sun so I turned my "trendsetting" backwards facing Cap to forward position to block out as much as I could. A tough mile. 5.56

Mile 6 and finish

This whole section seemed quite flat, maybe terrain was slightly advantageous if anything. The wind I felt on the climb may not have even existed as it seemed perfectly calm now. Despite the blinding sun, I got glimpse of one of the clubs senior ladies in the distance and she unwittingly became a target of mine. I felt I was running well but was tiring and self doubt was still on the peripheral at all times from here on in. Yellow vest was still next to me as we caught said target at approx the 1km to go sign. Jaysus, this was going to be a long km, especially the fact, I cant really see anything with the squinting. I was tiring but looking at the watch i was ever so slowly increasing the pace and was now consistently at 5.30 pace. I felt like I had ran at least 400 metres since the 1k sign only to see a sign for 800 metres left - ah ffs, who puts a sign for 800 metres anyway? 😀 Some Bucko out of nowhere went ripping past me here. I was in absolute awe of his finishing kick although if hes running sub 5 min pace at that stage, he probably should have been further up the field already. I caught glimpse of finishing line with maybe 150 metres left and tuned my cap backwards again for the cameras. I was shattered but knew I could finish at the pace I was at now. Heard a couple of cheers from a few club supporters who made the trip but coudln't see a thing. Boom, its done and looked at watch to see I had set a significant new PB at 35.41.

I went over on my hunkers for a good 30 seconds then trying to catch a breath to be congratulated by yellow vest who thanked my for the hill work. I tried to reciprocate the thanks but I think it ended up just spluttering out some nonsense and spitting at him in my shattered state. I looked up to see the aforementioned clubmate from early in the race get a big PB. In fact there were defo a few PB's amongst the group.

I caught up briefly with skyblue here and was great to hear how he ran it with such control on his rebuilding mission. I made my way back to the community hall and I absolutely devoured a rake of sandwiches. Good day for the club as the senior men won the team prize and the women came 2nd. Hung around for the presentation, mainly to eat more sandwiches to be fair. Mojo officially back.

Cheers

Awesome running lad. Thats how to run a sub 36. I can only hope to emulate what you did at some stage this Summer.

Well done. Dunshaughlin is special.

thanks...Yeh,I should have mentioned above but the whole race set up from start to finish was excellent and a very fair route. Looking forward to returning! The spread was almighty too.

Right.. Another (short) Report

I only entered Docklands 5k last Sunday and still wasn't sure i could actually run it until Wednesday. I did the UCD session on a humid Tuesday evening but I probably wouldn't have done this if I was confirmed to be racing on Thursday. I had never sweated as much as that evening. It didnt feel that warm when actually running but when I stopped, I firstly realised how thirsty I was. The t-shirt was so wet that If I had taken it off my back and threw it on the ground, it would have broken through concrete.

Docklands 5k

This race is situated next to my office so it would have made sense to work a bit later from the office that day but I tend to make things more difficult for myself. I worked from home and got a Luas into town in the evening. When I stepped off the tram in the city centre, the heat was noticeable. There was just no breeze and I knew this race wasn't going to be easy, despite the fast course.

I got down to the start by myself and did a few easy stretches and some half assed exercises on Lime Street before we were asked to line up. We seemed to be lined up forever in the pen before we got the all clear from the guards that the quays had been fully closed off. I was about 6 or 7 rows back beside a group of sportsworld athletes. I hadn't talked to anyone from my own club as wasn't sure I was doing it but I did see one or 2 familiar singlets floating about.

Countown from 5 and off we go.

Mile 1

The route goes down the south quays towards the centre of town for approx 600 metres. I started well enough and found myself around the 5.25- 5.30 mark. I was hoping for an outside chance of going sub 17 but I was conscious that Dungshauglin and UCD session maybe still in my legs. We then turn right at Matt Talbot Bridge and back up the North quays beside IFSC. I'm quite used to running around these parts and I expected a bit of wind with us here as it usually goes towards the sea here. If there was any hint of a breeze it felt like it was against us here. 5.28

Mile 2

I quickly realised sub 17 wasn't going to happen today. I now wanted to Improve on my last 5k at jingle bells. Under 17.30 was the new target. AMK explains it very well in his Clonee report. With the heat, I just couldn't seem to get my breathing right and also had no saliva. My breath sounded louder than my cheater boots I had on. I seemed to be swapping places regularly with the first woman as we approached the sharp turnaround at the Point Depot. I was progressively getting slower and just felt zapped from the heat. 5.40

Mile 3 and finish

I felt like jacking it in. I simply wasn't enjoying it. I felt in somewhat control last week in dungshauglin and found the race enjoyable. This was just the opposite feeling. It wasn't that I was running too bad. It just felt that I was going slower than I was and I had no energy or drive left.. I somehow went pass the first woman again going by CHQ, surely I won't see her again I thought as I turned back on to. Talbot Bridge. At a guess there is about 1200 metres left now when you reach the southside again. I was going to finish but it wasn't going to be pretty. I see the 1km mark as I hear a groan from the fella about 5 paces in front. He must be feeling worse than me. I might actually gain a position were my thoughts. He seemed to stay consistently about 10 yards in front of me and maybe on another day I may have tried to go level and pass him. I just couldn't. I was actually going faster than the 2mile but it felt a lot slower. As I approached 400 metres to go , the first woman edge passed me again. Will I try go with her.. I debated it but I was mentally and physically drained plus I'd only ruin her winning photo with a snotty, sweaty gobshite encroaching on her. I finished just behind herself and that other man that had groaned. 5.34 with the last bit 5.29 for a time of 17.20.. I was 23rd overall and 3rd in my category. They were giving prizes for first 2 in category and the groaner got the 2nd. Ah balls, I could have got pass him surely..

I was happy with the time, especially in the conditions, but I disliked every single part of racing today. That was just too hot and humid to be racing in.. Cru did a great job on the race and and seemed to have plenty of volunteers.

Cheers

Great stuff again...17.20 off of Dunshaughlin, the Tuesday session and that heat....that's no joke. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done D, super result for you. I had considered doing it while I was on my hols but glad now I didn't, there's no way I could have raced in that heat, my session was tough enough that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Excellent stuff, D, did well to hang in there and get the podium if not the prize.

I haven't raced since June which is a bit unusual for me as I tend to try and do one a month where possible. I haven't had the patience to update this log either despite a few times sitting down to do it , to be distracted elsewhere.

Holidays, temporary moving house and busy schedule in work didnt really allow for it. It has probably suited me better though as I have been able to get a good consistent block of training in on my own time. 60mile plus weeks has been the norm the last 5 or 6 weeks with at least 2 decent sessions in there in prep for DCM. The one and sometimes 2 weekly speed sessions i can attend with the club have really been beneficial to me recently also.

Dublin Half

I was nervous the night before which i wasn't really expecting as such. I knew I was in decent condition but you need certain factors to go right on the day.The last half I raced was a year ago after coming back from Plantar Facisitis and it wasnt a brilliant experience due to the lack of fitness really. When I woke up in the morn and saw the relatively calm morning, that was a good start. I had a bit of a hiccup on the cycle in where my gears on the bike gave up the ghost half way in. I was stuck in a gear that meant negotiating any hills was going to be challenging - I was thinking "here we go, starting to unravel already" Managed to get there in plenty of time and did an easy warmup with some club members. I had no real target set in my mind, perhaps about 1.22 with a good finish would give me confidence for the next 6 weeks.

Set myself up in the pen just a little in front of the 1.30 pacers where I had a bit of a chat with David Gillick who was racing a half for the first time and has his eyes set on DCM too in the coming weeks. Different ball game to sprinting as he described it.

After a nice mention on the tanoy of TFBubendorfer we were on our way.

I set off causal enough on Chesterfield avenue for the first few hundred metres but felt at the turn, I needed to pick it up after looking at the watch. I was able to get away from the crowds a bit here and began running on my own terms. I knew the first couple of miles were net downhill so wanted to ensure not to lose much time but at the same time not blow up early. I was content how the first 2 miles went then 6.11, 6.02.

I knew the profile for the next few miles were that bit harder in terms of climbs and negotiating some tracks and paths. They seemed to come at a good time for me as it stopped me from going too fast in some of these sections. I was feeling really comfortable, in fact, i have never felt better in a race. Like most, i struggled to get any water on board at the first water stop with the cups and got most the water all over the singlet as i tried to get something on board. Thought to myself , next water station I'll get this right - did i F**k - ended up getting wetter at the next one along with a few coughs and splurts as i tried to do the most simple thing of drinking water. It didnt affect my race at all though and popped my only gel about the 5.5 mile mark as a distraction more than anything else. 6.17. 6.17. 6.10, 6.05. 6.09.

I have rarely run in the Phoenix park where there was no wind but there was none today. Usually coming back down Chesterfiled avenue you get hit with a gust but there was nothing there. It was bliss and perfect running conditions. Confidence was growing and was thinking i could perhaps edge the pace here closing to 6 minute miles. It was only a slight increase in pace but i was picking off folk now and caught up with a guy who i saw move away from earlier in race. We ran together than back up from the gates and at one stage at the the 10 mile mark he said are you targeting sub 1.20? i paused as had never really thought about that until then, He simply said x3 6 min miles will get us there. with a pause for thought, I said I am now - make hay when the sun shines and all that. He asked me how i felt and dido to him and we continued to work together pulling in a few runners here and there, It was quite spread out at this stage but the more i put the foot on the gas, bizarrely the better i felt.

I have had some shocking races in past or stages in races where i wanted to stop or slow down. Today was not one of them at all. We went up that hill after the finish line of the Jingle bells race like it wasnt really there. I slowed a little bit initially as i got to the summit but crowds here along with runners from the club coming the other way gave me encouragement to pick up again. I was thinking now, theres no more hills is there, I should be able to keep this pace home now as will be on the same level as the finish line. Back up chesterfiled again on the path into a blinding sun gave some initial concerns but it was only minor really.

As we wrapped around again and could see that finish line in the distance. id be nearly at deaths door in normal circumstances at this stage. I still felt good though so extended the stride and slightly pulled away from my friend and pretty much sprinted the last 200 metres to get in under 1.20 on the clock.. My watch had me at 1.19.26 which was my exact chip time. I was thrilled as sub 1.20 was never a player in my mind.

I got myself a massage afterwards and thought how nice this was compared to the time I felt the masseuse was reading my last rights in Limerick . 6.06, 6.01, 5.54, 5.56, 5.59, 5.39 and 4.55 for the last bit. Its not often a race goes so well or remotely to plan so I made sure i enjoyed it later in the day with a few beers. Even the cycle home in a poxy gear didn't dampen my spirits. Briefly caught up with MisterJinx who ran a great PB.

Now the hard work 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

If Carlsberg did races! The way you describe it, it sounds like you were running on clouds the whole way round. Fairplay, and a nice confidence boost coming into the final block of DCM training..

Mon Sept 19th

Monday is a day I regularly work from home, do the drop offs and collections for school. I have no real pressure to get out running in the early morn, but i tend to try and get for an easy few miles before work - if I'm awake of course.

5 miles @7.44 doing a loop of Ballinteer - legs fully recovered from the half.

My young lad has soccer training on Monday evenings. Rather than stay around and get asked to coach(once you are in , you never get out 😄) I tend to drop and leave for a run. I did another 5 miles here around Marlay where I briefly bumped into ReeReeG.

5 miles@8.07

Tuesday 20th Sept - 13.16 miles in total

I'm loving these Tuesday's in UCD. This was 10x5 mins off 2 mins doing approx 1 mile loops around the N11 side of UCD. The first rep was at 6.05 min mile pace before gradually progressing down to 5.42 min pace by the last rep. I have a colleague in the club who is running almost identical paces to me at the minute. There was only a few seconds between us in Dungshaughlin 10km and again a few seconds between us at the Dublin half last week. I have no doubt we are bringing each other on in recent weeks with these sessions. I was glad when it was over as the last reps were in total darkness and there were sections where you had to be very careful underfoot. That was tough but a real enjoyable type of tough.

Wednesday - 5 miles@8.20

Easy spin around Marlay just before it was closing.

Thursday - Commute double - works out about 13.2 miles @ approx 8.10 pace.

Got soaked on way in - got soaked on way home - beautiful

Friday - Took the rest day which i've been doing every other week. Double commute on the bike to keep me honest

Saturday - 20 x 400's up at the track

I did this session about a month ago too, but in the middle of a 30k run. I thought better of grouping it today as had the need for speed. It meant I would need to do the long run at ridiculous o clock on the Sunday AM, but needs must and all that. It had been wet overnight so there was still static water on the track. It meant we all got wet from splashback etc. Again, this was a solid progression type session. 400's started out at approx 84 seconds but worked our way down to 75 seconds for the last 5 reps. I spent the afternoon at my kids birthday party which was great fun but risked injury a few times with the amount of horseplay I was joining in on ;-)

Sunday - 22 miles at 7.39

I was working today so needed to be done by 8.30ish. I got out about half five in the pitch dark and hadn't picked a route at all. Just stay on the feet for approx 2hrs 45 was the plan and no heroics. I wanted to take in a few hills so headed downhill out towards the coast to sandycove. I took in the 2 piers in Dunlaoghaire and made my way up beside the Sandycove - Blackrock cycle lane. The only people that rose before me were the fishermen it seems as there were loads out on the piers. It was an ideal route for seeing the sunrise over the bay and allowed for the climbing parts to come in the latter part of the run when I was tired. All in all, I felt good afterwards, albeit leggy from the week.

71 miles - fairly sure its my highest mileage week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Had missed the Half Marathon report last week. Congrats on a sub 1 20 half. Is that a PB for you or close to it?

5:30 am 👀🙈 that's the middle of the night to me!!

Great training going on D😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Got roped into coaching* my own young lads soccer. It's Saturday mornings for us which is not exactly ideal for a runner, but it turns out I really enjoy it.

* they are u8's so it's mainly tying shoelaces.

Savage week there, you're motoring nicely. Belated congrats on the Half - a powerful performance.

Ha, good man.. its under 8's for me too and I have already decided to help out post DCM.

DCM Report,

I really wanted to get this one right. My 2 most recent marathons had been "failures" in my mind anyway. I believe I had learned from them, but I was very conscious if these learnings didn't translate to a better performance on the day again, I would find that hard to take mentally.

I made certain adjustments in the lead up to Dublin. I trusted the plan supplied by the coaches within the club with an added extra easy running day which suits my needs. I listened to advice on here and incorporated electrolytes for the first time after the cramping in Limerick. The PB at the half in the build-up gave me confidence the training was on point, so that side was hopefully boxed off. I tidied up the eating habits, water intake, alcohol consumption in the 3 weeks leading up to race which I only ever 'half assed' did before. I really really really wanted to get through this one without cramping.

I slept brutally the night before but had slept well leading up to that, so wasn't worried about that side. I'm not a great eater in the mornings so just a toasted banana sandwich along with an electrolyte drink was my choice.

I got a lift into town with a clubmate who I will refer to as A from this point onwards. I ended up spending a large part of the day with him. We had been doing pretty much all our sessions together for the last few months and our paces and half marathon times were almost identical. It was a no brainer for us to run together as we were so used to it now. Arrived at club meeting point which allowed us to have use of a toilet and swanky changing facility which made a difference not having to queue for portaloos. I still used a portaloo but that was in the starting pen when i didn't have to queue and it was more the nervy added perhaps non essential visit. I randomly met my bro in law with his phone in tow in the pen too which was nice to send the pic to the family.

I then went to discard my throw away hoodie here but made an absolute hames of it. I was well boxed in around where the 3.10 pacer was and i was went to release the hoodie, my arm caught the person to my right and the aforementioned hoodie literally just went straight up in the air in slow motion and landed on the head of the guy to his right, much to the amusement of everyone around me.

Miles 1-4

Bid farewell to my bro in law as he was aiming for something around 3.30 and off A and I went in our search for a sub 2.55. Nothing of huge note in the first few miles bar seeing a poor volunteer getting knocked over by the pack at one stage where the traffic island was going up the hill towards Christ Church. Not sure exactly how it happened and how the person fared after due to volume of people. We were keeping ourselves out of problems, perhaps taking a few corners too wide off the racing line just to get some road space. I availed of the first water stop which I usually wouldn't bother with as felt my singlet was sweating up plenty already. Again, I was determined not to cramp so keep myself well hydrated was plan for day. At the turn onto chesterfield near the zoo, I found myself suddenly about 40 metres down on A simply due to me been boxed in and having to take it wide. I thought how crazy it was the amount of ground you can lose by not been on the racing line. I slowly worked my way back up towards him.

6.46, 6.46, 6.47.6.34

Miles 5 to 10

Chesterfield Avenue brought about extra space and at this stage we had made our way level with the 3hr pacers for a period before slightly edging ahead of the big group. Spotted a couple of faces in the crowd I knew including Healy from these parts on this stretch.

After a quick chat with A, we made the attempt to hover over the brakes going down College road past Mount Sackville. The pace will naturally increase here but I feel your brain needs to be in charge here not to go hell for leather down that hill. We were prob still a little too hot on pace on it despite the heads up to each other. The first real buzz of the day was going past Myos. Great sound and support here. I managed to run very close to Wubble Wubble spectating here, but I was already past him before I copped it was him. I'm fairly sure I was drinking water at time and couldn't shout. We were planning around a 1.28 half and trying to come back around 1.26. Looking at the splits below, we were feeling comfortable so were a little ahead of plan through here.

6.30, 6.28, 6.36, 6.19, 6.28,6.25

Miles 11 - 17

I don't recall all of this section as well as others. Myself and A were still occasionally talking to each other as we made our way up the placings here and there. The usual shout out spots of Rialto, Dolphins Barn and Walkinstown roundabout were all class. Got quite a good few shout outs with the club kit on. Someone in the club kindly had all the names printed out on bigger font than the named stickers given out at Expo so also got quite a few individual shouts. We found ourselves in a group of 5 all the way through this section. It was quite prominent on the drag up through Crumlin as we switched the workload at the front of the group with a few Raheny lads on a couple of occasions. It was pretty cool as it seemed to naturally happen without any verbal prompting from either side. I just realised, I hadn't mentioned fuelling yet. I had 4 gels in total with me including 2 caffeine gels and had my wife waiting later on with an electrolyte bottle. I was also chewing on salt tablets now and again. I cant really recall exactly where I took the gels now, I think of it. 2nd caffeine around mile 17 perhaps. The first half was done in 1.26.51 so about a minute ahead of plan.

6.43, 6.31, 6.33, 6.46, 6.41, 6.29, 6.33

Miles 18-22

"Welcome to the marathon. Hope you enjoyed the warmup chief? What have you got now pal was the inner monologue??"

"Enough" was the optimistic answer. Only positive vibes between A and I from now on. "We have this today", "Let the road do the work on the downhills" , "nice and easy up this hill" .Convincing yourself is half the battle and when the person besides you also buys into it, it does the full circle and confidence grows. We got a great shout out from club coach at rathgar and she reiterated to us to keep working together. She managed to get herself right out in the middle of the road beside us to encourage us on. We then had our own club volunteers at the next water stop where we received further deafening cheers . That was surreal. We may have gone a bit hot through there as i felt a little pinch in hamstring almost at the same time as A felt on his calf. "SHUSSSH" back to the positive vibes. Milltown brought his family cheering us on at the right time. No heroics were planned on Clonskeagh road. We worked together up that drag and picked off quite a lot of folk here. Quite a few here were walking now. I had the whole family awaiting on Roebuck Road. It was brilliant seeing my wife, kids, parents and in laws all out supporting. It was perfect timing and grabbed the electrolyte bottle here to carry to the end with me. 

6.27, 6.34, 6.42, 6.56

Miles 23-Finsh

I was still on a high from seeing the family that Roebuck Hill was barely noticable. Again, with the mantra " Easy down Fosters, not cramping today" UCD Flyover was the first I felt that I'm not sure if I can increase pace or even hold a certain pace. The legs were heavy. We were now going about 6.45 -6.50 pace. I think I knew i could get home at that pace but wasn't sure if i would cramp if I went any faster. I told A here that I'm going to finish at around this pace. I told him to kick on down Nutley lane. It was a simple "no" back followed by "I'm not sure I if can anyway". I'm staying with you at this pace. From experience, I know how long that merrion road is and it was probably the right call from him, but I didn't want to hold him back at the same time. The wind became noticeable as we ran down towards the RDS - Was it ever going to bleeding come? Eventually, it did, and it kicked something in me. I knew I was finishing either way now. I picked up the pace a little for the last 1km as we went past the purple mile. A went with the move and we levelled off together as we crossed the line in 2.54.23. Turns out when i looked back at splits, didn't really lift the pace at all at the end, just worked harder to go the same pace it seemed.

6.44,6.40,6.48,6.53 and 6.38 pace for last kick

Anyway, happy how that went...Met a few new faces along with a few known faces back in McGrattons. Glad its over, not sure 2 doing marathon blocks in a year will become a regular thing for me. I'm glad i did this year though as really wanted to right that wrong from Limerick

Well done again D, amazing time. Great report too, laughed out loud at the hoody bit😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Lovely stuff pal. You're flying and looked very strong the couple of times I saw you. I'd just frantically emerged from St Lukes on Orwell Park when you passed, and was trying to get ready for my mate coming behind you, I would have hoped to shout something more inspirational than 'Good man Derek!' 😂

Advertisement