Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working from home. Carrying out new projects. How do you motivate yourself?

• 19-06-2022 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Serious question. Time has changed and nowadays very few people and even family care about my ideas, dreams, and projects. Say you have a big dream and business idea you want to pursue but won't be paid by anyone to build it. No one cares about that idea or what you want to work on or accomplish. How do you stay consistent, persistent and motivated?

Not gonna lie, but at least if I can have a friend or two, even strangers who want company and sticking to a lifestyle, maybe being present at a large desk, working on their laptops on their own projects, that alone can create a positive working atmosphere and make me 'behave' and take things more seriously.

Are there public places where such people can meet and work like in an office. To take their ideas more seriously than when alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

I'd imagine remote working hubs would be a good shout. Try https://connectedhubs.ie/ they provide offices/hot desks that anyone can work from for a cost obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Thanks yeah just remembered there was recently the 1 day x 3 vouchers made available for free by the gov. Helpful thanks. Any other ideas are welcome. Honestly these facilities are worth it because they have to provide everything, maybe like WC, water, internet, power etc, but wish there were very basic ones for 5€ a day or 1€ an hour just for a basic desk space, I can use own hotspot..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have to say John, only you can do it. Most people couldn’t care less about your ideas. They are more wrapped up in their own lives.

have always been a firm believer in setting goals, smaller at first, then ultimately building on them. Have always kept them in a journal. Marking them off as they as achieved. If you are looking for affirmation from others, I personally don’t, I find it hinders progress rather than just “going for it”.

my own family, much and all as I love them, do not understand me. I have been told many times that I don’t have enough ambition by friends. They certainly have no idea what I do and no idea of the goals I have achieved to date. It is easier for me as I don’t live close to any of my family and friends.

the over-riding thought for me,is personal achievement, reaching smaller goals keeps me on track. Looking back over the past 2O years I am constantly amazed by what I have managed to do, THAT to me gives me the impetuous to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Great message thank you. Same here over the past worked extremely hard and now still continue to be dedicated to my job. However how we use devices around us, how much people care, "why should I work harder", and all these things. Like I said, only if there was a friend or any individual who is a high performer in real life and ready to meet even 1 day per week to work on a side project because it is easy to just go to bed after having tried hard for years and years and say life is ok why bother. It isn't wrong but honestly there are big ideas and dreams that can become true, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

Co-working spaces for sure. Also, get involved with organisations like Grow Remote or the entrepreneur groups on MeetUp. https://entrepreneursacademy.ie/ host virtual events.

I use co-working spaces. I'm a full time WFH PAYE worker but the range of people there are fantastic. You have people setting up businesses, people who are already successful, people who are in Ireland visiting, and lots of people from the multinationals who are full-time WFH like me but great for connections. I'm also active with Grow Remote and have gone to several meetups. Actually got my latest promotion because someone I met through Grow Remote used to manage the team I wanted to move into to. Connections like that are invaluable in this little country where you need to know people but it's hard to get to do if you're not in the right circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

Hi John,

have you considered professional / executive coaching. I think what I'm hearing is that you seek an open ear to bounce ideas off of?Maybe a few session with a coach can give you refreshed impetus & techniques to get your projects to the next level - just a thought.

No affiliaiton other than as a Customer: https://www.pentago.ie/

Advertisement