Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Scrabbel

Great eagle on 8th! Under par for the day is going very well in that wind. Only 8 people under par currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

Disappointing bogey on the easiest hole on the course today (14) from the middle of the fairway. He is still right in contention if he can pick up a birdie or two on the way in. Great display so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Frustrating final few holes for Seamus. He probably needed to get in at -1 to really be in the thick of things tomorrow. At the moment there’s probably too many players in front of him but you never know what could happen if he gets off to a good start tomorrow. The weather is meant to be cooler and windier according to Sky Sports.

He’s making some impressions in Majors. If he can finish well here tomorrow what a year it’ll have been already for him and you’d have to think St Andrews will suit him for the Open. I think the Irish open is the one he really wants to win and the Open is real bonus territory for him but he’s good enough so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Pity that he bogeyed what we were told were two of the easiest holes on the course but all in all a very impressive round, especially when you look at some of the scores posted by some of the big names. He did well to steady the ship after his bogey on the second, but the fact that he beat Thomas by two shots and, again, no double bogeys are big positives. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like 3 under wins this. Don't think he'll do it but another top ten finish would be brilliant and he's on course for that but I think even par today would be a huge score for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice bit of Seamus on YouTube highlights, quite the Stenson look about him

• Advertisement

I think he might have gone a little bit conservative after getting to -1 on 13. He laid up at 14 from the fairway and again on 17 where he found the second cut with his tee shot that was going for position. He bogeyed both of these holes but who knows, he may have got worse had he gone for it and as someone said, no double-bogeys so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Birdie to start and the lowest man playing right now. Should get some TV time for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Starts the round with a birdie. 20ish foot putt for two in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

As he starts the final round he finds himself in 11th place. Heady stuff. Par or one under would be great today and ensure a healthy payday.

Starts with a birdie and is into the top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

Finished with a level par 70 for a total of 1 over. Definitely showing that he belongs at this level. Currently tied 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some performance, he has come a long way fast.

I reckon that's another 11.5 ranking points in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Another great week for Seamus, brilliant to see, no double bogeys all week (was he the only one??), roll on Mount Juliet

12 rounds in Majors and no double bogeys. That is unbelievable especially considering he’s only ever played 12 rounds! T-27, t-9 and t-12 is some going and a great achievement. If anyone ever doubted his ability then they certainly can’t doubt him now. I was probably his biggest critic in terms of his mental errors over the years but he has really shown how mentally strong he’s gotten in the last 12-18 months. More fedex points, world ranking points and of course a nice big cheque headed his way again.

If mentioned it already but I think Mt Juliet could be a special few days for him. The course is very American in style and should suit his eye considering it’s similar in style to courses on the PGA Tour they he has played very well at. I certainly wouldn’t rule out a big showing at St Andrews either, although hugely different to Mt Juliet for obvious reasons, I can see it suiting Seamus.

Anyway back to the present, a great US Open and onwards and upwards for Power. He looks very much at home on the big stage now and I think even his biggest fans over the years didn’t expect this to become normal but here we are.

Seamus up to number 36 in the world. Fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭big_drive

Where will he go in world rankings after the weekend?

Edit: I just see it's 36 , brilliant progression for Power. Look forward to seeing him up close at Irish open

Post edited by big_drive on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That lack of double bogeys is most impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Especially considering he was throwing in double bogies for fun anytime he got in contention when we were all watching him on shot tracker a couple of seasons ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭dublin49

true,the perception I had before his break through was he often set himself up for good finish and then had his worst round on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

But, is he playing it too safe? Does he need to take more risks and therefore have more blowups and double bogies? Maybe that's why Rory wins sometimes but has collapses regularly 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think S Amy's has a real shot this week, course really suits him I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭dublin49

just looking thru shot tracker and on his back nine he got up and down from 40 to 80 yards 4 times to make par,pretty impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Finished on -3 for T15. Another solid performance, no doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭OEP

Is he skipping the Scottish Open? It'll be a lot of golf for him in the run up to The Open otherwise. And being back in Ireland I'm sure he'll have other commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Off to a flier!

• -5 for his round today, and tied 6th overall. What a remarkable story it is. Now up at the business end of the leaderboard in almost every tournament he plays in.

Since the travellers in 2021, Power’s form looks like this:

1 win, 8 top 10’s, 14 top 15’s. Top 30 in all 3 majors.

UNBELIEVABLE.

• Might be paired up with McIlroy tomorrow the way things are going for Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Or Poston, for old times sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Seamus looks cool as a breeze and has laid a good foundation with a pair of 68s. Putting working well so he's poised to make a realistic challenge for the title.

Advertisement