Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Titanium bikes dealer

Options
  • 19-06-2022 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all after much debate I am long to pull to trigger on a titanium frame set, does anyone know of any bikes shops that stock any of the leading brands enigma, curve etc the only one I saw so far is van nicholas, cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

Planet X.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also dolan bikes, but i have not idea how well rated their Ti frames are

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bike-framesets/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The Cycle Hub in Dun Laoghaire are agents for Enigma. https://the-cyclehub.com/retail/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Thanks a million original post wasn’t clear hoping to get LBS exactly what I was looking for Enigma bikes are beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Van Nicholas have been a big name for a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you asked in your own LBS? they might be able to get bikes in depending on their distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

I’ve seen a fair few titanium frames fail around the bb/chainstay welds. Whatever you buy make sure it’s from a reputable brand with a good warranty. I’d be inclined to go for a stainless steel frame over titanium, in fact that’s what I have done.

A mate of mine builds custom titanium and steel frames, but they’re not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

The Hub in Limerick (https://www.thehubbikes.ie) are Van Nic dealers. I got a (fully built) Skeiron from them last December and it's a lovely bike. The lads down there are very sound to deal with. Van Nic have a lifetime warranty on their frames, though there may be some "unlimited broadband" style caveats in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Just got a Van Nicholas Rowtag from https://www.thebikestation.ie/ in Dundalk

Very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Thanks for the link. I've been looking at getting a Planet X Ti bike for a while as I was having difficulty finding Ti bike retailers in Ireland. Brexit thing is putting me off though and according to my calcs its working out at around 3k for SRAM force bike.

Seen a nice VN Ventus on Bikestation website, 2.5k for 105. Must ring them and see what an Ultegra version will come in at but sounds like it might be close to the cost of the Planet X and I'm guessing VN is a much better pedigree frameset.

You can use the configuration tool on the Van Nic website to put together a spec. I think for the most part they're built to order (mine was) so the price will match, You could just buy straight from Van Nic, but for the same price I got a bike fit, and they dealt with the Van Nic order system which is a bit shall we say inflexible (the order had gone in with stock Aksium wheels as, well, wheels are wheels and interchangeable - they tried to make out that the order would have to be cancelled and re-entered when I said I wanted something better, but in the end the lads in the shop managed to sort it out what could have been a major pain in the hole)

Spent most of yesterday tooling around with the configurator :) I'm only 20 mins away from The Hub so will give them a bell and scope it out with them. Good to know VN website prices are same as dealer prices. I was looking at Planet X, but with Brexit its hard to figure out what I'll pay but most likely come in at 3k. Can get Ventus with decent spec for similar money with the advantage of getting a better idea on size.

Did they offer you the bike fit as part of the bike purchase? Was there much of a lead time once ordered?

Finding it very difficult to resist the urge to order this 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Cigala cycling sell J. Guillem bikes.

Did they offer you the bike fit as part of the bike purchase? Was there much of a lead time once ordered?

They did, I arrived in to collect it and they had it up on the trainer waiting for me. Lead time was long enough - I ordered in mid August and the bike arrived at the start of December. It was mainly down to availability, or rather lack of, of groupsets. I thought I was getting Ultegra 12 speed, but it turned out to be 11 speed as their configurator was misconfigured and it would have turned into serveral hundred quid extra and several extra months wait. I wasn't that disappointed tbh when I saw the price of 12 speed cassettes, and I don't race to gappiness in the gearing isn't an issue.

Finding it very difficult to resist the urge to order this 😀

That's lovely. Would've loved to spring for those FFWD wheels, but the final price was just a bit too eye-watering. Went for the DT Swiss PR 1600s 33mm in the end up and very happy with them (I've fallen out of love with Mavic over the past few years)

I popped in yesterday and was talking to the lad in there. He said lead times aren't too bad if the groupset is showing as in stock. 105 seems readily available but Ultegra builds have a due date of 2023.

Looking at a Ventus, supposed to be a good frame and well reviewed and price is decent. Not to well versed on titanium frames and only researching as I go so Im not too sure what differences would be between Ventus and Skeiron which seems the next step up.

Think I'm happy enough with 105, latest version is supposed to perform really well and allows room in the budget for the FFWD wheels which will make me feel faster even it I don't actually go any faster 😁.

Originally started looking at Canyon Aeroads but I have a Cf SLX thats a few years old and is grand and I'm thinking the the Ti bike would be a good option that I can take out in any weather.

Think I'm happy enough with 105, latest version is supposed to perform really well and allows room in the budget for the FFWD wheels which will make me feel faster even it I don't actually go any faster 😁.

Except they've now just gone and made 105 12 speed, no mechanical version on the horizon, disc brake only - oh, and added a grand to the RRP 😫

Looks like this is my last chance to get this bike on a reasonable budget now so - this purchase is making more and more sense every day 😆

Guessing the new 105 version will take a while to appear on builds. Its so hard to keep up. I just want to eventually have a couple of bikes that I can swap wheels and cassettes between when needed but with all the chopping and changing of groupsets and break options its very hard to do.

This is the first time I've actually wanted a bike with disc brakes as I want this bike to be all weather without worrying about eating away at carbon wheels with rim brakes in crappy weather. Perfectly happy with rim brakes on my carbon bike as its rarely out in bad weather

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

Just to follow up on my comment: I have a Planet X Tempest which I've formatted as a road bike and it's the best bike I've ever owned. Fitted Hope wheels and a carbon seat post. I'm off to Kerry this weekend and will pack this bike and leave the 5k carbon at home.

Limousine smooth ride on bumpy roads without loosing much speed.

Love titanium.

• Advertisement

In the process of getting order through with The Hub. Can I ask how you found Van Nicholas sizing on the frame you got? I was all set to put in the order on a Medium as I've never needed a Large on any other bike manufacturer. When I called in to The Hub a few weeks back he reckoned I was a Medium all the way but using the fitting tool with my dimensions on VN website is telling me I need a Large. I'm around 179cm and 86cm inseam. Its a pity they don't have display bikes to try in the shop

I also got a medium, as recommended by the lads, and it's perfect sizewise. I'm 182cm though probably a bit more in the torso than leg. I don't find any toe overlap on mine where I would on my (medium) Croix de Fer (albeit that has guards on so not really like with like), and also on my older Specialized Allez (56cm which is probably M-L)

We didn't need to swap anything out during the fitting (I needed to shorten my stem on the Allez for example) other than adjust the saddle offset, One thing to be aware of here, the Ti seatpost comes with 2 options 0mm and 15mm setback. I have the 15mm one, and I think I wouldn't be able to get the saddle as far back as I like with the straight one. The stock alloy one only seems to come in one version. I wasn't getting on with the Van Nic saddle so have replaced it with a Brooks C17, which is much comfier - I think the Van Nic sat a bit further forward though so the above would be less of an issue

Legend, thanks for that. I rang the lad in The Hub after driving myself mad with the Van Nicholas sizing tool half the day. He said definitely a Medium so I've gone with that and placed the order. He said he'll sort a bike fit once it comes in.

I went with the stock seat post which I believe has a bit of a setback. Will look at upgrading that at some point. Everything on the build is in stock so he reckons I shouldn't be waiting too long. Would be nice to get some use out of it before end of Summer although I've bought it as a bike for any weather really. Looking forward to it now.

Finally arrived. Thanks for the info @JMcL. The lads in The Hub were great to deal with.

Loevly, wear well. You went for the Ventus in the end I assume? Which wheelset did you get, the FFWD? At any rate, they're very swish looking

Yeah went with the Ventus. Lovely looking bike I must say. Itching to get out on it. Their Scope wheels. Had ordered with the FFWD wheels but the wheels were delaying the order so the lads in The Hub told me to order with base wheels to speed things up and they would give me credit for the base wheels and then swap out for the Scope's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Nice looking bike. Frame looks a lot beefier than the older rim brake version I have. Happy cycling!

From seeing pics online I was kind of expecting narrower tubes myself but it's a nice look with the thicker tubes. Takes 28m tyres too. First spin today, very impressed, soaks up a lot of the road vibration. Coming from a pretty rigid Canyon it's a big difference

Advertisement