Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiderhead (Joseph Kosinski, Chris Hemsworth) [Netflix]

Options
  • 17-05-2022 3:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy, Top Gun: Maverick, Oblivion) directing this intriguing mind-bender thriller; drops June 17. Could be something above the usual Netflix churn and Kosinski has a good eye, his films never less than interesting to look at.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Miles Teller and Chris Hemsworth are good castings who might do something interesting if the script is good; Hemsworth in particular seems to be channeling something like his turn in Bad Times At The El Royale, which is not a bad thing.

Will keep an eye out for it, Netflix definitely need to up the bar for their "originals" and focusing on directors with a bit of visual flair rather than money-thrown-at-A-listers would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looks cool, I'm interested!

Perhaps walking on very similar ground to Netflix's Maniac series though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny was thinking of Bad Times as well; wonder if Hemsworth might pivot to subverting his handsome image with some choice "evil" roles. That'd be fun.

Agree about visual flair: I was pleasantly surprised an actual director was behind this; I used to be very down on Kosinski, hating Oblivion, Tron Legacy and thinking him an empty vessel. But the way Blockbusters have turned into flat, lifeless visual garbage (Netflix especially), he has become someone I'll keep an eye out for as a rare pearl in the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There doesn't seem to be, the only things listed as teaser trailers are the usual youtube reuploads by people looking fir views.

Your best bet is to watch the first minute of the trailer then stop. But tbh it looks like being something where the plot isn't new so it'll sink or swim on the execution.

In terms of what it reminds me of, the first thing that comes to mind is the Black Mirror episode about the immersive game that reacts to your fears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Miles Teller and Chris Hemsworth, well I'm sold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Clip popped up as part of that contrived "Geeked Week" thing they got going on ...

I stuck this on tonight out of curiosity - it was fine, but nothing remarkable (and if it cost $100M+ as has been reported then someone overpaid substantially). Really the issue is that it feels like it should have been a sharper film - it's not a surprise that Hemsworth's odious tech bro panto villain isn't on the level, but by insisting on having two "likeable" protagonists, the film loses most of the opportunities for sharper, darker humour that the setup offers. As if an exec asked for it to be "like a Black Mirror episode, only a bit cuddlier" or something.

I don't imagine this will make many waves before sinking without note, and I'd easily rate Extraction over this as far as "Netflix exclusives starring Chris Hemsworth" goes. I'd be willing to rewatch Extraction, but I wouldn't bother rewatching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Bit disappointing. The plot was really thin. And they just tried to drag it in to a feature film by repeating the same scenes.

Not a whole lot really happens. Would be alright if it was a half hour. Would never watch it again.

I like the main actors. Dont know the name of the younger fellow, but he was in Whiplash which is an amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I love Hemsworth but I thought this was absolutely rubbish , interesting premise but they could have done so much more with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Interesting premise that peeters out into absolute generic nothingness and a rubbish, lazy ending. Good performances but that's about it.

Puzzled as to how they spent $100m on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Watched last night

4.5/10 from me

This cost 100mill???

Advertisement