Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange New Worlds 1x07 - 'The Serene Squall' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 16-06-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Strange New Worlds 1x07 - 'The Serene Squall' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Was that Colm Meaney?

Edit: Apparently not. Michael Hough plays Remy.

Not a bad episode. I thought it had very much a Saturday morning kids' TV action/adventure vibe going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Again, another grand episode. Visually great, Anson Mount doing wonderful stuff, and I think Jess Bush is knocking it out of the park as Chapel, really enjoying that character.

Honestly not much to be said, a fun little episode and I do like that yer one playing the villain seems like she'll be coming back, that turn took me by surprise and I loved how she then just flipped in panto scenery chewing villain. Be interesting what they do going forward with Sybok, presumably she will at some point free him to go off and star in one of the weakest of Trek films....

Anyway, as always good stuff all round! What a wonderful thing to be able to say 7 episodes into a new Trek show!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Episode breakdown with SPOILERS will probably published soon

I was going to use spoiler tags, but the reveal has already mentioned in the post above.

Did anyone guess, that it was him, been the Vulcan Prisoner?

The existence of Spock's half-brother Sybok, and his rejection of logic, was first revealed in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. The events of that film take place 28 years after this episode, in the year 2287.

More ripples in Canon Timeline.

In his reference book The World of Star Trek (3rd ed., p. 28), writer David Gerrold reckoned that Chapel "was obviously created specifically" to love Spock and went on to say, "The need to dramatize Spock's Vulcan aloofness requires that a woman fall in love with him and be continually rebuffed. Hence, Nurse Chapel."

"Hemmer" missing from another episode?

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I thought that was Colm Meaney too - based on the voice.

Definite Brendan Grace as Father Fintan Stack vibes off him too

He was a barman in Dice Bar in Dublin for years. I remember him telling me years back he got a role as an extra in Game of Thrones on account of his big grizzly adams beard. Great to see him pop up here. Lovely fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Absolutely also got the Brendan Grace vibes and it would make some sense that the actor channelled that in his performance, if nothing else than an in-joke for Irish viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really enjoyable episode. Generally the Irish accent in American tv sounds fake or they change it slightly so nice to hear the natural accent. Anson Mount was very funny this episode and liking the Spock storyline.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Solid adventure fare overall. The humour of Pike and his mutiny seemed a touch forced, but I liked the portrayal of him as willing to be deceptive from the get go. I saw Aspen's heel turn coming, she was notably too callous after an apparent massacre, but she turned into a decently scenery chewing villain.

I note that Hemmer is completely absent again. So is Uhuru, but I believe this is her first episode missing.

In the greater scheme of things it'd be a pretty disposable episode, except for that final reveal. It's a curious contrast with Discovery, where Sybok is conspicuously not mentioned, to SNW going to entire episodes dedicated to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Enjoyed it all round - was hating the Aspen character at the start (was thinking wooden acting Grey from Disco) but then she turned and the character became more likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Good episode.

Not sure what I thought of the mutiny pretty much all happening off camera. Seemed to escalate quickly, followed by Aspen giving up quickly despite having 2 hostages..

On a sidenote, I only found out today that Anson Mount and his brother share the same name with only III and IV separating them. I guess with IV in his name, he was destined to be in one of the good Treks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That episode was great! Just soo so good!

So many things.. such a well woven story. Everything just building one on top the other.

Leaving Federation territory, sub space buoys, navigating an astreriod field, OH NO IS IT THOLIANS?!?!.. No it's not Tholians! Phew! Oh no it's pirates! Oh that's clever how they got on board! Orion! I was like .. aha, "The Nurse Chapel Identity", are those padlocks on her ankles?! Engineering Takeover! Mutiny Payoff! Rebonding Ritual!! YARRRGHHG MATEYS! SYBOK!!!!!

All the while.. dealing with some heavy emotional parts!

The only thing I found wierd was them giving away the betrayal in this episode so early so soon after the last episode with the easy-tell.

The turn of head that .. "Dr. Aspen" did when Pike said they were going in even if they'd be out of communications range. The change of facial expression.

Anyway Looking forward to more Captain Angel.

I am guessing they are near Klingon space. Wonder could they be in a future episode with Captain Angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,811 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oof... for me that one set a few Discovery heckles rising... the super-over-the-top villain was just too much imo, and way too reminiscent of Osyraa. And as well the little 'short hand' in-joke thing between Pike and Una that was straight out of the Michael/Book dialogue. And just how easily duped everyone was. Like, no background check or verification at all was done before they go rampaging off into the neutral zone?

Nothing too major, it was still grand, but that one goes to the bottom of my list of episodes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it. Probably the least good of all epaisoes so far, but enjoyable.

Villain was a bit over the top, but I liked we finally got some Space Pirates. Hope they can be used again at some stage.

When I saw the web trap thing I was convinced it was Tholians.

I still enjoyed the humour in this episode. Not a bad episode at all, just not as good as previous ones.

This the first Orion we've seen with hair and a beard? Could really have been Brendan Grace, except he dead.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Orion.. eh no..

Tendi & Mariner goes to a Orion Pirate Outpost - Star Trek Lower Decks 2x3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was another good episode but have to say I was very surprised and dissapointed in how quickly they took over the Enterprise. Also it was pretictable in parts as we all knew Spock was never going go die or Nurse Chapel or Pick. Where was Hemmer do? We never seen him in thus episode at all. A pity. I was expecting him in a couple of scenes but nope no sign at all.

When they net started going around the ship I instantly thought Tholians but the colour was all wrong. Would love to see the Tholians in SNW at some stage.

As for Captain Angel I had my suspicions about her.did not like her at all and I do not think you were meant to like her anyway. I loved the chat she had with Spock do about the fact maybe he is not Vulcan or Human but someone else. It kinda fits with a lot of what is going on in the world today about Trans people. There is some people who believe if your born a boy or a girl then you a cursed to be that gender for the rest of your life even if you hate it. I disagree. I believe a woman and man can be born into the wrong body and if so why should they then not have the body that they were meant to have at birth if it makes them a happier and more productive member of society?

I loved Pikes trick do. I thought this episode could have been edited better in certain parts do like it seemed a little rushed.

I will watch it again do. Its good to look forward to watching a Star Trek episode you just watched again :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

Didn't love this one. Was grand, but I wasn't really buying the situation or the performances -- from either the guests or the main crew. Felt a little off.

Interested enough to see what they do with Sybok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How about a series on Sybok? Actually scratch that pretend I never said that lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bout time Sybok got a mention. Shamefully written out of all the Burnham family drama on Disco.

Also was that a Reman in the Squall crew ? If so the episode is essentially a homage to all the shte Trek movies.

It was also so obvious Aspen was a baddie from the second we saw her dressed like a DS9 mirror universe "sexual deviant"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I liked that episode. It never felt like they were in any peril. But i think that’s why it felt more playful than threatening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Surprised nobody else has mentioned it so wondering if I heard it wrong, but I'm pretty sure they said before deciding to cross the border out of federation space that communication with starfleet would take two days at that range. But then they were able to hold a live conversation with T'pring no bother. Not only that, but she appeared to show up in no time at all 🤷

By that stage I had forgotten the 2 days thing bit ya you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I know it's only a tv show, but they could have easily just not mentioned the 2 day delay. Apart from being annoyed by that it was an entertaining episode.

Warp seems to have turned into the BSG style lightjump in recent series. You don't hear much about actually traveling in warp anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Another fun episode. Sybok, huh? Interesting. Yeah, the Angel character was fun (And I'm assuming a regular foe going forward. Anson Mount looks like he's having a ball. And that reveal near the end where they haven't quite taken over the ship caused me to laugh out loud again: Looks like they have it all in hand initially then reveal of the mayhem behind. Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

It kinda fits with a lot of what is going on in the world today about Trans people.

I glad the episode didn't make a big deal about it.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The logical calm version was, the screaming one was totally OTT and was the only bit of this I didn't enjoy. Nice to hear a Pure Mule accent in there!

Huh. Had no idea. And yep, who cares (Bar the neckbeards)? I thought she was great and look forward to seeing her again (Although sparingly)

Ahh yeah, don't mind her coming back, but I want a better space pirate ship like the Arcadia with captain Harlock or The Rocinante style from The Expanse

• Advertisement

lol. Yeah. Well I would like to see her come back but sparingly. Don't want her turning up every damn week. Especially given the episodic nature of the show. I mean, maybe a brief season cliffhanger scene (With, assuming, Sybok). But that's it.

Advertisement