Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a list of charge times by model of EV somewhere

• 16-06-2022 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,913 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a youtube review for the Kia EV6, I saw this handy bit:

Is there a site or list somewhere for this information for a range of models (not just embedded in Youtube reviews?) SO you could easily compare VW charging times vs. Tesla vs. Nissan, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can do it yourself easily enough, once you know the battery capacity.

Just simple division.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,913 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So the onboard charger differences don't matter?

True,it would play into it.

I always have my Leaf in my head, and the chargers I actually ever use, so I know how it would calculate.

Of course you are right, but if a certain car was able to use a certain charger, then the sums will follow.

Yah, just trying to find a way to compare across models. The data has to be there somewhere, the reviewer found it..

Thanks

This is something along those lines but it is hard to read on a mobile. Might read easier on laptop.

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/knowledge-center/charging-time-summary#nissan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Your best bet is to use https://ev-database.org/ they have a section at the bottom with charging speeds for each model.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

that Doesnt look particularly useful.

The 7.2kW and the 11kW numbers should be ok as the car should charge pretty linearly on AC. So it would be a case of dividing the size of the battery by the power of the charger and factor in a little power efficiency loss into the equation.

The DC numbers look bogus. at 50kw for 1hr 5 mins is only getting in about 55kW into the car not factoring in the losses or a non linear charging curve. That number looks completely wrong.

The 100kW number adds up to about 75kW of energy into the car but I doubt the number. I havent seen a charging curve for the EV6 but I doubt it could sustain a constant 100kW, especially at the top end of the battery.

DC charging curves are also completly dependent on the temp and condition of the battery.

So in summary take all numbers with a pinch of salt. You're probably better off taking the manufactures 10 to 80% DC numbers and the AC charge can be the battery size divided by the power of the charger and then add on a bit for efficiency losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

From Bjorn's test spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=735351678

see last column, sorted by km/h charging to 75% battery

Sorry for being dense but I'm not understanding the last three columns.

Is '75% range' range on 75% charge? That seems right

75% charge the # of kWh to charge the battery to 75%?

What are the numbers in the last column?

Thanks for your reply.

Is '75% range' range on 75% charge? That seems right

It's actually range on 65%, charging from 10% to 75%, so for real 75% range add an extra 10% of the 'km' column

75% charge the # of kWh to charge the battery to 75%?

That's minutes it takes to charge from 10% to 75%

It's the km/h added to range while charging from 10% to 75%, it takes into account charging speed and energy efficiency

So e.g. Audi Etron GT would add on average 17.7km a minute (1062 km an hour /60 mins) to the range of the car.

• Advertisement

It's the km/h added to range while charging from 10% to 75%, it takes into account charging speed and energy efficiency

So e.g. Audi Etron GT would add on average 17.7km a minute (1062 km an hour /60 mins) to the range of the car.

I'm still lost on this one, sorry. If the car is sitting there being charged, how can you add km/h to it? Does the charge derive from the car moving (like, regnerative braking?) Thanks.

It just says 'If you were to charge for one hour at the same speed, it would add 1062km to range'. Of course this is theoretical, the battery would be full before 1 hour. The km/minute would be more useful, i.e. for every minute the car charges, 17.7km are added to car's range, in the case of the Etron GT.

I've added km/min at the end, if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭innrain

Units of km/h for charging rate are used to express the range added in time, providing a more comprehensive view, taking into account both the charging speed and the consumption rate. These units serve to a fairer comparison of two different EV from the user experience perspective. At the end of the day what is important when charging at a motorway service station is how much time you need to stay there to add enough range to get you home.

Looking at the below charging curves for Tesla 3RWD and Polestar 2

it is not enough to judge which one charges faster. We need to look at consumption rates: Tesla sits at 15.1 kWh/100 km and Polestar at 19 kWh/100 km which is 25% higher. So basically you need to add 25% more energy to drive the same distance.

When M3RWD charges @100kW, using the average consumption figure we can say that it is adding range with a rate given by:

while Polestar at the same 100kW input gets approx 526 km/h. So if you charge for 15 mins around this value for M3RWD in means an added range of 162.5 km while for Polestar2 131.5 km. If you need 150km with the first you can drive home, with the second you need to charge a couple more minutes. As an extreme case the fat etron charges constantly @150kW but also its real range consumption is 23.7 kWh/100km which gives an approx value of 633 km/h. If for any reasons you have access only to a 100kW charger (to make a direct comparison with the previous 2), then you're adding range at a rate of 422 km/h. (in the above example you need to charge approx 21 mins to add 150km of range)

Advertisement