Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am still getting used to the idea of not having to use disk spanning to download larger games from an internet cafe on O'Connell St, before bringing them back to my non-networked PC at home and reassembling the file!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

First PC I bought was a generic white box P120 running Win95, can't remember memory or disk capacity but nothing too fancy anyway. Eventually upgraded with a 3DFX Orchid Righteous and Soundblaster card bought in Clerys for a mad amount of money no doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never realised how bad the soundblasters were until I saw videos on the gravis and roland sound hardware. Of course no one but music professionals was going to have a Roland for playing games but the Gravis sounded sooooo much better than the **** Soundblaster midi library.

Cards like those were way out of reach for most people I guess, that's if you could even buy one over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I remember my first pc was a beige build from a local guy. No idea of the specs

Came with big box Quake 2 & Tomb Raider 2. 2 boxes I wish I kept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I picked up a Sound Blaster AWE32 from a work placement I did back in the late 1990s. Load it up the SIMM sockets with RAM and you could upload sample packs. Exciting times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't want to thread spoil over in the guy's advert, but I think that TNT pillball machine is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. :eek:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058250632/for-sale-tnt-courier-pinball-machine#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Hallaz

That's me (and it is so no offence!) but it might suit some who could gut it to make a virtual pinball machine. The unit is quite strong and could save someone a few quid on materials for the sake of giving something to charity. I planned to do it myself but spend all my time trying to complete Ghost 'n Goblins on various platforms! It'll likely get dumped if no takers.

Master of the Universe

Any idea the background behind it? I'd love to know how such a thing even comes into existence.

Definitely a great contender for a conversion alright!

Too big to fit in my car, would need a courier :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

TNT are FedEx now, definitely retro!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

Definitely a strange Pin, but so weird I kinda like it 😊 Fair play for the charity donation thing, that's a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Hallaz

I just assumed it was a really old type style of pinball. if you search Bingo Pinball you'll find an article or 2.

TNT used to do competitions to encourage people to book online (and save them having to do the work).

For every shipment you booked online you were put into a draw to win a prize.

Yeah a lot of the time it's an older machine repurposed into a new theme.

There's a a few companies that do it.

I'd actually love to get that pin. It's wierd and totally unnecessary, I love it haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Any idea why Adverts is flooded with Oculus Quests recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Usually you'd say, its the now traditional expectation of another revision being announced after the summer. Or the rumours of a higher-end model.

Of course, every weekend there's a rumour that the next Quest will be announced at the next event etc etc........I suppose the rumour sites will be right at some point

Could be people having regrets with their pandemic purchases, not in the house so much etc ? Or just plain bored with it ?

I'd certainly say with any VR down the years, whether it's Quests or Vives, they are a pain in the hole to use in the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Treasure's 30th anniversary came and went and they tweeted they are bringing out a game that's been requested by lots of people. The rumours are not to expect something new but could well be a port of Radiant Silvergun or Guardian Heroes. I'm kind of hoping for Bangai-O missile fury. It's stuck on XBox 360.

Have an interesting problem - I have a few arcade cabinets. They are all connected to those assistant type plugs, one for each cab BUT most likely all on the same circuit. When I do that 'OK Google, turn on the arcade cabs' BAM! They all turn on...and sometimes pop the breaker.

My current thinking (joke intended) is that its the CRT initial surge that is prob popping the B class 20amp breaker. Will see about changing it to a C class 20amp breaker to see it stops a poppin'

Anyone else have an issue like this with many CRTs/cabs?

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Master of the Universe

How many are we taking?

I used to run two arcade machines and three CRTs all on the same circuit and it never tripped - however I don't think I'd ever booted them all on completely simultaneously. I'd say five CRTs starting together with their degauss would probably have thrown something alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭dav09

We have this issue in the arcade yep. It's usually one machine, i.e. our max tune is the culprit at the minute, but once it's on, it's on. I know we had to take one or two off that clicker system and it seemed to help, but still can't figure out the max tune issue why it keeps tripping the switch (other machines are on on this trip as well), maybe it's a ground or something but I can't find it, it's both P1 and P2 that causes this issue. Trip switches have a max load too so might be initially taking too much load on start up.

• Advertisement

3 cabs, 2 DinoKings and a Naomi...also an Arcade1Up but I don't think that really counts :)

Yup, same issue I have - once they are on all is fine, just the initial power up that can be an issue. I believe thats due to the inrush current of the CRTs/transformers (the cabs run the stock Sega 220/240V->100V transformer bricks to run everything).

From further reading, indeed it's the type of MCB - with type B being installed by default in homes. Those are fine for most electronics, but with a number of CRTs etc. the large inrush current is the problem which trips the breaker. Type C I believe is more suited so I've ordered on up to pop it in and see how we go. Whats the worst that can happen? :)

Master of the Universe

How about the lazy man's option and just stagger them switching on by a few seconds? So have the two Dinokings come on together and the Naomi separately?

'OK Google, turn on the Dinokings'

'OK Google, turn on the Naomi'

Also means you get to say 'Dinokings' which just sounds so unbelievably 90s and awesome that you should probably put on a pair of black shades and a backwards cap first. 😁

That will be plan B :D have an effort to make this other half friendly and 'say this one thing and BAM! games to distract kids', will report back on MCB changing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Dumb question. Can anyone identify the background music from this YouTube video? 7 seconds in. It’s driving me mad. It’s on the tip of my tongue :(

https://youtu.be/cEAHR5Y_RYM

Sounds like a 8 bit version of one of the Mortal Kombat track

It's a remix of one of the mortal Kombat 3 tracks in 8bit style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I was referring to the music 7 seconds into that video, just as the commentary starts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's very faint, perhaps message the creator, he can help you?

Good news everybody! Changing the MCB to one that will take a larger inrush did the trick. Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭dav09

Sweet! That's great for future reference, thanks very much for letting us all know. What's interesting about my Maximum Tune 3 is that they have inbuilt RCD or MCD switches on them so maybe it's a common issue but sometimes the main trip goes instead of the machine one, very strange

Advertisement