Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,416 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have F1 World Grand Prix but have never seen that sequel, that looks really impressive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, it was pretty unforgiving to arcade racer fans, but it was an impressive title.

As far I can remember it sold pretty well too.

Due to the '99 vintage, there was a Dreamcast port as well, though I have no idea how good or not that was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jeremy Parish just tweeted about the NES game there and it pretty much gave his reasons for chasing it for a LRG release. Seems he likes the ambition of the NES game and how open it is so he has some genuine love for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just saw on their Facebook and sharing

"Looks like Limited Run Games is releasing physical versions of two Saturn classics, Powerslave and D!"

https://www.segasaturnshiro.com/2022/06/10/physical-versions-of-powerslave-exhumed-and-d-announced/

Master of the Universe

Random thought but are any of you guys still blown away by current internet speeds compared to dial up? I used dial up regularly for about 6-7 years covering everything from downloading MP3s to playing games online, so it's capability still forms a large part of 'the internet' to me as a baseline.

Last night I set an Everdrive torrent to download - 330GB. Basically every console you can imagine and an SD card image set up for it's corresponding Everdrive. Also looks like there's loads of MiSTer stuff in there too.

Woke up this morning and there it was waiting for me, completely downloaded.

I used to average 1MB of a download every 5 minutes on my 56k dial up, which is 83 hours for 1GB, 27,500 hours for that 330GB download.

1,145 days or 3.13 years.

3.13 years of dial up speed in one evening. If you went back in time and showed that to me circa late 90s/early 2000s I think my brain would have instantly vaporised trying to comprehend it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not amazed because Ireland was so far behind in the 90's and 2000's that it was criminal. I remember downloading 80 MB of counterstrike 1.5 and that took 4.5 hours on dial up. And then having to play those games with 300+ ms of lag while other countries had broadband. When I went to college it was insane that I could fill a zip disk with Neo Geo roms in a couple of minutes on the university's fiber, but it a university had fiber then how come it wasn't rolled out for years. I had a few friends heavily invested in the Ireland Offline movement. I really believe if it wasn't them putting pressure on the government that the broadband roll out would have been 10 to 15 years behind where it is now. Getting 5Mb broadband was an eye opener.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Half-Life 2 launch day was the worst. Clogging up the phone line for hours to get Steam up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember getting 1mb broadband in late 2006 (that's a touch over 100 KB/s download) and thinking, "this is the f*cking business...".

Best thing about broadband was that it was a fixed rate. No more worrying about spending time online at peak times, or generally totting up the minutes you could spend online. It was always-on, as it is now. It would be such a different mindset even now if telecom companies had tried to keep the per-(unit of time) system for billing.

I had broadband at that stage and was one of the lucky people that could connect without issue. Couldn't imagine at the time what Steam was then and what it would become.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I remember that and the 75MB download needed to play Half Life DM online, always took me about 6 hours.

Do you remember the lack of ability to resume downloads? So you'd start a download and hope there was no interruption in 6 hours or it was all lost/corrupt.

Getright download manager was an absolute godsend as it allowed you to resume an interrupted downloaded, didn't always work though. I have an awful memory of trying to download the Half Life DM update and it being corrupted three nights in a row.

The Ireland Offline guys were doing god's work back then alright, it really wash shameful how behind we were. Mainland Europe was absolutely miles ahead of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I was lucky on that one. Installed it first on my laptop in college, much quicker than the ISDN line I had at home.

Also remember when Eircom were advertising ISDN as broadband, while the 64k connection was much better than dial up due to less noise if you wanted to use the 128k connection you got charged double the rate for using both lines.

And then when ADSL did eventually become available they bumped anyone with ISDN to the back of the queue as it required an engineer callout to install.

Master of the Universe

Ah yes, the fabled 128K double rate ISDN line - my cousin had one of them down in Wicklow (primarily for his parent's business) that he used to play games online. Didn't last very long though when the phone bills started rolling in :D

It was great for downloading larger things from the internet in a more reasonable timeframe, but not something to use for long periods of time. Even the 64k was good as you got a consistent 64k connection while I usually got about 45k on dial up due to line noise.

Getting fixed rate internet in 2005 was a godsend though, reduced the phone charges to about 40% of our dial up monthly rate.

One of my friends had double ISDN. Apparently you had to have a registered company and he only got it in the house because his dad owned a company.

Also when they rolled out Broadband first they had download limits which thankfully were never enforced as I blew past them all the time.

I had ISDN on a residential line without being tied to a business, it may have been that way initially though(iirc the same happened with broadband) as it was installed here in 2002.

At the same time the internet situation was absolutely crap. It was so bad at the time that Microsoft built their own network for the Lepardstown campus.

Master of the Universe

Yep, I think 20GB was my monthly cap on my first 1Mb line with Digiweb. There was a portal you could log into which would display your daily usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

What ? Ye aren't using Oceanfree.net anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I actually still have my esatclear driver disc, from my first pc. Thems were the days....half way through downloading a huge 3MB rom and someone phones the house and cuts you off....

Callus95, Zsnes, geocities.... Ah nostalgia

It was a pain in the ass getting roms. You used to have different search results from the likes of yahoo, altavista etc. and hope the persons geocities or anglefire site had the games. Then google took over but at least around that time you'd have sites like Kefka's domain or mame.de with decent rom sets but also have periods where they would have to shut down. And emulation was moving pretty fast back then, I'd be on the likes of zophar.net and joseQsemuviews daily to keep up to date with progress.

Master of the Universe

Was that for Esat Clear nolimits?

Did you also get booted from their service for breaking their 'fair usage' policy?

Really wish I'd kept that letter they sent me. Was absolutely devastated at the time, I remember my mam ringing them up and giving them dogs abuse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Technology is also a lot better these days. UPNP has been around for years yet only last year I bought an app on my phone that will cast any video to my TV. I can torrent a new episode of a show on my phone at 1080p/5.1 in literally 60 seconds and cast it to the TV. No need for Chromecast or Firestick. The pain of having to convert stuff to CD, PSP or iPod back in the day. It didn't seem that long ago when I was leaving the PC on overnight to download the latest weekly American shows on our 6Mb connection...

Now I can download something, go make a coffee and it's ready. No need to transfer stuff to USB or turn the PC on etc.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Could have been the no limit package, can't quite remember. I THINK it was 1p per minute after 6pm though...mad when you think we've 24hour high speed connections nowadays. I think Action Half Life took me just under 6 hours to download, and was 30 odd MB file size.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I remember working nights in a petrol station in the UK as an 18 year old, coming home and putting the internet on and then subsequently falling asleep. Waking up mortified as I'd ran a bill up for nothing, that coupled with my mum making me get a second line for the internet and having to pay those charges.

I always used to hear about the fabled cable internet where anything was possible. No idea on the speeds but it felt like a dream I aspired to.

Not gaming but remembering how I'd used to impress people that I could download a whole album in a few hours.

That and constantly wanting to play half life but my 486 wasn't powerful enough.

My first pc was an Athlon 350Mhz, or possibly 450Mhz...64MB ram I think, and shortly after I upgraded it with a Voodoo 3200....the difference going from software rendering to hardware in Half Life blew me away, I still remember picking my jaw up off the floor after seeing it. Then of course hours and hours on Civilization 2...some great games back then

My first PC was a 16MB P100 with a 1 gigabyte Hard Disk from Gateway 2000 in xmas of 1996. Gateway offered a pretty decent games package with it. The CD rom drive kept breaking on the thing and needed to be replaced until they just gave me a different better model. The model they used was a real Piece of **** like the PS1 OG laser.

I upgraded it with 32MB RAM and a 2 MB graphics card so I could run a Power VR2 card on it (couldn't get a 3DFx that christmas and was so disappointed when it wouldn't would with my graphics card). The Power VR was awesome, blew away the 3DFx in Direct 3D but unfortunately all Quake engine games stuck to Open GL and it took forever for them to get Power VR updates, if they got them at all. That machine lasted me way too long as my parents wouldn't get me a new console or PC. It went out of date quickly but thankfully I discovered emulation and used it to play old games along with Half-Life in 320x240 at 10 fps in software mode.

I got a few hand me down PCs from a mate, a 350 MHz PC was nice as it could run 16 bit games in mame unlike my P100 (I could play capcom games in Callus) until I got my first summer job and built a 1GHz machine with a Geforce 2 in the summer of 2001 just in time for Max Payne. And that PC was still hobbled with Dial up.....

Still remember my first PC too. 233mhz AMD K6 with 16mb of ram, 3gb hdd and a 2mb S3 Savage3D gpu. Got this in mid 1998.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know there are some Vampire Survivors players here. God that game hits the same magic beats as a good bullet hell game. There’s a point where you’re hilariously overpowered, dozens of monsters are just ‘popping’ dead, and a stream of gems is just hurtling your way. It’s a simple idea (and one I believe is a bit of a clone, which is a shame) but so satisfying - with just the right amount of decision making on the fly. Some of the builds can get deliriously broken.

I think I’ve unlocked the last stages now, but there were some genuinely cool secrets and surprises during tonight’s session… just when I thought I’d maybe seen most of what the game had to offer, there’s some fun extras to discover.

Only major lesson I learned the hard way was to pay more attention to the roguelite stuff. Thought I’d hit a level wall in level three I just could get passed… but pumping some gold into power ups was what I was missing.

Master of the Universe

Not far off my first proper PC. Think I also bought it in 1998. Was an IBM Aptiva K6-2 333mhz with 32mb of ram, a 4gb hdd (which made it's way into my next PC) but unfortunately no GPU, was all software rendering! Did manage to get Half Life running in OpenGL in 1024X768 at a playable framerate though so was happy enough.

I'd a hand me down computer before that though, an older IBM, can't remember exactly what it was but it was running Windows 95.

Never forget the day I was browsing through it, not really too sure how to use a PC really and most of it was fairly empty of content and finding a folder that contained Doom! Was like finding gold.

Master of the Universe

You really can't beat those moments where you've fully levelled up your main weapons and waves of enemies are just being obliterated as they approach you. Can nearly step away from your computer and let the game play itself!

Really satisfying stuff though, I keep telling people to buy it, especially as it's practically being given away for free.

• Advertisement

Tbf the gpu was awful and may as well not been there, still had to use software rendering for Quake 2 and Half-Life.

Advertisement