Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free VO2max Testing

• 14-06-2022 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

POSTING ON BEHALF OF MY STUDENT:

Hello,

my name is Tolulope Ogungbemi. I am a physiotherapist currently studying for an MSc in Sports and Exercise Medicine at Trinity College Dublin. I am undertaking a research project under the supervision of Dr Neil Fleming which requires the participation of cyclists or triathletes who are currently cycling more than 150 minutes per week. The aim of my study is to determine if Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) applied during active recovery can enhance lactate clearance from the muscles. The study involves 4 visits to the lab with each visit including a VO2max test and 25minute recovery. Upon completion, you will receive the results of your VO2max testing, individualised training prescription and also a gift card valued at €80.

If you would like more information, please click on the link to our study flyer, or contact me at the details below. I look forward to hearing with you!

Email: ogungbet@tcd.ie 

Phone: 0899892658.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I am 41. Does this exclude me? I see range is 18 to 40.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

41 > 40, unfortunately...

usually permission is required before posting something like this, but as it's non-profit and specific to cycling, there's no harm in leaving it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd say that age restriction will reduce the available pool of riders by about 50%, the average age in our local interclub league is 44 and that's pulled down significantly by 2 U16s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I did this years ago with Leftism back when I had notions. Got some great data out of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

What use did you make of the data? Were you able to apply it to training or racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Gave me a lactate threshold, threshold power, v02max and some training zones. Blood samples were taken every few minutes so as well as sore legs and lungs you also get a sore finger :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Think me and Leftism did this about on a kayak machine 20 years ago in trinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd be all over this if I wasn't a fat arsed casual cyclist compared to what I was 5 years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

BUMPETY BUMP!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! Brings back good memories of testing some of the many boardsie riders back in the day! @Raam you still doing much on the bike? If i recall, those "notions" you had were fairly justified when we sat down and took a look at your data.

Unfortunately age restriction of 40 does limit us somewhat. If you have any club mates or friends that might fit the age bracket please send them on to us. We're still looking for volunteers so any help with recruitment much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did this a few years ago with Bernard before he retired. Getting stabbed in the finger every few mins was an experience - rough group that year (all physios and no doctors).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What's the closing date? I might be interested.

Strava says I've only averaged 145mins per week over the last 4 weeks 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

Seems they want to electrocute you now as well as turn your finger tip into a pincushion !No ‘gift vouchers ‘ in my day …Bernard was cyclings answer to Brian Kerr , a real gent . If you were under the guidance of the likes of him and Paddy Doran ( RIP) you were on the right path in life .

Advertisement