Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to balance YOLO vs. modest living with inheritance?

• 13-06-2022 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently inherited a large amount of money. I spoke with a financial advisor and they laid out the next 35 years or so of my asset growth. If I keep working for the next 15 years, I will have a very large amount of money by the time I'm in my 70s (I'm in my late 30s now). I do have one child that will obviously inherit this money, but there's no reason for them to ever need so much. The average life expectancy in the US is 78 years old. By that age I will not have a need/time to spend all the money I have saved.

That said, I'm currently in at a burn-out stage in my career. It definitely doesn't help having all this in the back of my mind and actually makes it very difficult to endure day to day nonsense at work. I have thought about finding a new career that I enjoy more but might not be as profitable. I did reduce my hours at work but still feeling burned out.

Obviously I'm not going to go and blow my inheritance all at once, but also want to have a fulfilling and satisfying life outside of my career - travel, spending time with family, hobbies, etc. I'm currently struggling with the balance of wanting to have this kind of life all while trying to be modest and responsible.

If you have any suggestions/advice or if anyone else has experienced this, let's talk!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

''The average life expectancy in the US is 78 years old''

Are you Irish or living in Ireland? What about your child, are they based here or in the USA. I can't help but think where you are located is going to influence the responses. Living in Roscommon is going to be very different from living in Boston. One of the frustrating things in Ireland is that most financial advice on the internet is coming from and is aimed at the US market. Having read much of it over the years, I have concluded that most Americans have different priorities and an underlying 'fear' that makes career changes seem particularly scary. Reading your query as an Irish person switching careers seems like a no-brainer. I think doing work that fulfills you and perhaps makes a difference in the world is what we'd all like to do if we didn't need the salary. With as much money as you're talking about, I'd be looking to get involved in philanthropy so I could help others and leave a legacy.

I would think inheriting so much money that your child could never need it/spend it is highly unusual in Ireland but perhaps someone here has experienced this personally and will come along with some better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Can you take parental leave - might help with the burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any chance of a Euro for the bus bud?

You'll get used to that level of money once you start spending it and that will become your new normal. After that, it won't seem so much

Advertisement