Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which of these metroidvanias are best

• 15-06-2022 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I love Symphony of the night and Super Metroid . Ive also played blood stained which I like too. Which of these 3 are the best . Please put in order. Hollow knight Blasphamous Salt and Sanctury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hollow Knight.

The others don't rank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hollow Knight. But that game has issues. The back half of the game is a bit boring when you are a bit too over powered for there to be any challenge and the world is waaaaay too big. And the last dlc pack can suck all the dick.

There's better metroidvanias out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

If you can play them, the Ori games are wonderful Metroidvanias. Maybe not as deep as Hollow knight but has excellent exploration and platforming.

I enjoyed Ori until I hit a brick wall that I couldn't get past.

I'm not one for attempting something 200 times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's the Castlevania collection of GBA games, Axiom Verge, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom and I've heard good things about Unsighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Out of those three I hear more positive things about Hollow Knight. Though I haven't played any of them.

Guacamelee is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Only played Hollow Knight out of those 3, and I eventually enjoyed it once I followed a rough where to go next guide. Not what to do, just where to go. Found it too frustrating without it.

Ori games are excellent, and if you don't like the brick wall in that, then I don't think you'll enjoy Hollow Knight without a guide! But they fixed the Ginso tree part so it's not as hard, I'd recommend trying them again.

Also a +1 for both Guacamelee games. Great fun in both, and funny enough too with the excellent living/dead instant swap idea.

Dust: An Elysian Tale is another excellent bur older one. Holds up really well.

Forgot about Bloodstained. It's the closest you'll get to a metroidvania Castlevania.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you're looking for something a bit different, Dandara was/is an excellent Metroidvania with a neat twist on how you navigate the world. Bascially you bounce from the wall to ceilings; you can't move but you gotta aim in a direction then launch yourself across the level. The game got a little sprawling and hard to figure what to do next - but was never boring.

Steamworld Dig 2 is also worth a look; again, has a neat little twist on the formula where you have to dig your way through the worlds. The art style is lots of fun and the game controls are really tight. Digging paths through dirt is very satisfying.

While if you want a completely Tab A, Slot B experience, The Mummy Demastered is actually very good; a lo-fi Metroidvania tie-in with the awful 2017 movie, but the game is good (it's from Wayforward). Has a nice Soulslike twist where when you die, you gotta go back and fight your corpse to get your shít back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I quite liked Blasphemous but it was more about the art style than anything else. Worth picking up IMO.

Hollow Knight is a better game but visually it's a bit too 'Adobe flash' for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Another oldie, shadow complex is really good, or was the last time I played, I am not sure how it holds up.

I played carrion lately and it's not bad but it's not immediately metroidy.

Its good other than having not one good boss fight but the foam gun is awesome. The Orson Scott Card association however is troubling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

This seems a bit obvious but Metroid Dread was superb. Managed to 100% it as well. What a delight.

Ori and the Blind Forest, as well as its sequel - Will of the Wisps - are some of the most emotionally heart-wrenching games I've ever played. That, on top of a stupendously gorgeous artstyle, on top of the fact they're very meaty metroidvanias, make them must-plays. I think they're both on Game Pass. I know Will of the Wisps is as that's where I beat it.

I was on a metroidvania hunt after I beat Dread. I found Salt & Sanctuary to be pretty good but it's more of a side-scrolling version of Dark Souls if I'm being simplistic in my description.

Hollow Knight is good but it's fcking massive.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is basically a spiritual successor to Symphony.

Steamworld Dig 2 has more of a risk/reward mechanic to it but it's the same idea.

I've been sitting here tapping the desk thinking of others, and it's made me realise I haven't played that many metroidvanias.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A couple of the later Shantae games are a good shout I've not seen mentioned yet. I've only played (and enjoyed) Pirate's Curse, but believe Risky's Revenge also scratches that Metroidvania itch pretty well. It helps they're available everywhere for relatively cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't realise they were metroidvanias, a mate loves them, thought they would be more early mario type, levels n stuff. May give the more recent ones a go.

Advertisement