Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Insurance.

Options
  • 26-05-2020 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Going to do loads of cycling this year on the road and have upgraded to a 1,500 bike. I wont be joining a cycle club as I work day/night shifts and weekends so will head off myself. Wont ne entering and competitions, trials etc either. What insurance options are available. Many thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Going to do loads of cycling this year on the road and have upgraded to a 1,500 bike. I wont be joining a cycle club as I work day/night shifts and weekends so will head off myself. Wont ne entering and competitions, trials etc either. What insurance options are available. Many thanks for the advice.

I sold my motorbike as I was not using it and the insurance was around €240. Bought a giant advanced 2 2020 for €2250 and the insurance is nearly the same.
    Plus there was loads of conditions on the bicycle insurance including what type of lock I use on my shed door. I just refuse to pay it and have 2 big chains on the bike attached to the wall.
    I have it beside me at my desk in work and I wouldn't leave it around the city either way.
    When I was buying it in penny farthing, they showed me a customers trek literally bent in half as thief's were trying to steal it and couldn't so wrecked it.
    So yeah, couldn't be arsed paying the same for a bicycle to that of a sports motorcycle that went 140mph, 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it depends on your house insurance policy, some insurers are better at including bikes in the house than outside the house.
    most of mine are covered as contents, and i would not consider for a moment the cost of insuring them for loss or damage outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Any views on bikmo insurance or cycling Ireland cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hunt_Morris

Bicycle or bicycle hull insurance is aggregate risk insurance that covers all of the most common types of damage that can be caused to a bicycle, ranging from a fall to theft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Put it on your contents insurance if possible for the house. After that, set aside money for two really good locks as these would have been a requirement anyway, and then set up a savings account and throw in the money you would have had to pay to the likes of bikmo into that. Excess (and someone can correct me) is typically about €500, then throw the €12/month into the savings account. In one year you are at half the price of the bike and you get a new one every 7 years. If you use the bike to work scheme you are at the price of the bike within 2 years.

Just my opininon but bike insurance seems like a false economy unless you can get it included on your house insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just my opininon but bike insurance seems like a false economy unless you can get it included on your house insurance.

Just bear in mind that many home policies have max values per claim for bikes e.g. €1k or €1.5k. Double check to be sure!

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For mine it just had to be declared on the poiicy, if it wasn't the above applied, bikes upto 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hunt_Morris

Once after buying a new bike, I was faced with the problem of where it was safer and more reliable to ensure my bike, but after a while, I found an alternative option and insured my bike with https://simplebikeinsurance.com/ebike-insurance/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That company only cover bikes in Canada and America.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

The bikemo insurance covers crash damage too not just theft. Good to have if you're riding pricey wheels and a frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement