Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sofar ME3000SP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

I guess I’ve a spare wifi yoke so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 64,760 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm the same. My Solis PV inverter is dumb, no CTs and I didn't even get the wifi dongle for it as it was an optional extra costing €70 or so which just make the payback period longer. And I'm a tight bastud.

ME3000SP has the two CTs on the Solis PV and on the mains in consumer unit

😂 ya there’s feic all in the standard inverter after so. Mad.

So what's going on here:

Looks like battery is draining and sending to grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

so i have a hybrid inverter (located in the garage) connected to the house and pannels . also have a change over switch (next to the Consumer unit)

i take it that this will complicate things ? or will it , do i just place the sofar between the existing inverter and the out put to the consumer unit ? but if i do if theres a power cut will the battries feed power to the hybrid inverter making it think the mains is ok .. ? ie keep power to the firemans switch .

as the sketch shows the hybrid has a ct clamp ,, where would the clamps on the sofar be located ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

The Sofar is just another device in your home. It would simply be on it's own MCB

Are you going to replace your hybrid inverter with a standard string inverter? What are you hoping to accomplish adding the ME3000 ?

i bought 32 cells and a bms for a diy 20kwh battery , only to realise the Solax inverter only works with proprierty battries , so trying to minimise the loss. . was hoping to keep the inverter i have and just add the sofar. ?

Ok, that makes sense. Fit it exactly as per the diagram, although essentially you only need a grid monitoring CT.

The two inverters don't need to know anything about each other, and can be in totally separate locations in the house too. I have my ME3000 with the batteries in the shed at the end of the garden.

You could, but you might make a few hundred if you sold the Solax hybrid and bought a conventional inverter to replace it

BTW your drawing is perfect, that's what many of us have. Except you wouldn't need the CT clamp from your solar inverter anymore

Thanks , that will work for me so , when i get it up and running ill think of changing it out .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Who would go for that if the solax can only take proprietary batteries? I'd say in here or on adverts / eBay would be your best bet to sell the solax

• Registered Users Posts: 18 stephenchilds

Hi I am about to end up in the same position as John Mac due to only discovering this group after ordering an SEAI install ...

Need to see what I can do to salvage the situation.

They are due to install a solax hybrid inverter but now I realise that doesn't allow any cost effective battery solution.

I am tied in to using them (panels already on roof). Does this sound like my best plan:

1. Persuade installer to fit cheapest non-hybrid inverter they have (instead of solax).

2. Add sofar + batteries myself later.

Assume sofar installation can be done by any qualified electrician?

Stephen

The only bit an electrician needs to do is to connect the AC side of the inverter into it's own RCBO / MCB.

If you deffo go this route then yes, you might as well get a string inverter or see can he install a SOFAR hybrid instead. That would negate the need for looking for an ME3000.

The Sofar kit is the most flexible, especially for home automation

You'll get a lot less subsidy if you don't go for the hybrid inverter / battery route. Just get them to install a Solis hybrid inverter and a single Pylontech US2000 battery. Then as soon as they have installed it, sell the Pylontech and build your own CALB battery

Battery grant is gone, so it's 2400 for everyone now battery or no battery

I must keep up 😂

Sure then it's insane to have an SEAI installer install hybrid inverter + battery. At their prices it will never pay off.

Very much doubt installer will do anything other than solax inverters.

Am thinking that long term my best bet will be the 2.96kwp on roof on string inverter plus another 2.5kwp on shed roof on cheap solartricity string inverter.

Would me3000sp work ok in this configuration or would the two inverters confuse things?

ME3000SP would work fine as it just measures how much is going to the grid, if any it will charge the battery. Why aren't you getting a 6kW dual MPPT inverter though? Both your strings can then go into that inverter

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I'm seeing some comments here about not being able to draw from the seplos until the batteries are charged fully.

Is this with a SoFar/Seplos combo or is it with another inverter.

Would be a bit of a disaster for me if I couldn't draw until it was charged.

// Gary

Where did you see that ? Can't say I've seen that anywhere.

I can tell you that that couldn't be further from the truth.

The only thing I will say is that when it hits 100% and discharges, it will only resume recharging once it hits 95%

Ah I could be reading a few threads wrong on here so don't mind me. Was reading a few posts irishchris was having about high voltage cutoff and I also saw a few comments from yourself around node red.

I want to get it up and running first and then look at adding on the fancy node red stuff.

So once it can charge and discharge the same way my sofar + pylon are working at the moment I don't really mind.

Absolutely. Sofar + Pylon to Sofar + Seplos is pretty much a straight swap

:Why aren't you getting a 6kW dual :MPPT inverter though? Both your :strings can then go into that inverter

Will ask installer about 6kw dual string but they may charge a few hundred to upgrade from 3.7 KW to 6. In which case it seems easier to have a second inverter say 2 KW out in shed. No cable runs needed back to the house and battery added later via sofar me3000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yep as championc said there are thankfully no problems with discharging battery at any level above minimum cutoff in the same way as your pylontechs.

The issue I was having was the seplos not cutting out before hitting high voltage warning. This is now fully sorted thanks to automated setting of battery charging to stop at 98% to avoid this high voltage warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 banana5kin

Hi Graememk,

I have been using the python version on a RPI/NanoPI however I have been tinkering with sofar2mqtt with a wemosd1. Problem I have is that I can't get some of the values to format properly, mainly the ones requiring division of 65535 / 2 etc. Can you give a steer on how the formatting works as I am getting the calculated value and the value the calculation was taken from.

Many thanks.

Load up the node red flow in the github that shows the calculation for the values you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭plasterman

Negate purely in terms of DIY battery or can the hybrid (any hybrid while we're at it) charge from grid?

I checked the manual and don't see any mention of grid charge on the hybrid for battery when solar isn't available. It would be perfect if it did.

• Advertisement

Does it have a menu item for Time of Use schedules ? That would be for charging from the grid (or blocking discharge)

Advertisement