Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maratona questions

• 09-06-2022 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

I have a notion of doing it next year. Anyone done it before?

Anyone doing it this year?

How did you go about getting the tickets?

Did you go for a package or arrange your own hotel, flights etc?

Comments

I haven't done it, but I had an entry for it a couple of years ago, but Covid came along. I got the ticket from the draw, it's advertised on their website, and usually happens in November.

Fair few Irish people do it every year, you can log onto the website, and see who has entered from what country etc. I know the area from my hillwalking days, and would usually get a plane to Munich, and get a train down to Bozen/Bolzano, and then a local bus. This might be more difficult with a bike. I might apply for next year, and would make my own way there, and arrange my own accomadation. BnBs are good value, and quality. Bike hire in the area would be an option, if you didn't bring your own bike.

If you could get a flight to Verona, it's closer than Munich, but I am not sure of the public transport options, I would avoid Venice, as the road is very twisty.

hope this is of some help, and who knows, might see you there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've done it. Drove from Munich, but that was because I was staying with my brother there for a few days. It's tough to get an entry. I got it by being lumped in with his company who were doing a mass entry. It's a super event. Loved it. The Dolomites are utterly spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cheers lads. I'm trying to get a group from the club to enter, the mass entry might increase our chances.

Flights wise, I'd be driving anyway so any of the airports would be an option.

Would it be much of a journey to take in the Stelvio or Mortirolo or any other major climbs? I'd be looking at making the week of it if I went.

Both are within a few hours drive from the Dolomites. Stelvio can be very busy. Mortirolo is quieter but so so very hard.

For some reason I was thinking Zoncolan when you said Mortirolo.

Zoncolan was the absolute horrors. Mortirolo is also quieter than Stelvio, but harder. There are a few ways up. Still not as bad as Zoncolan. All are worth doing :-)

You can cycle from Mortirolo to Stelvio and do both in one spin :-D

• Advertisement

I'd be on for trying the Zoncolan too!! I have done the Angliru several times so it would be good to compare.

No bother to you so! Zoncolan was the only climb I've ever had to zig-zig up. Wouldn't mind trying it from the opposite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Gavia isn't that far away from the Stelvio and easy to combine both in one ride.

They are much nicer than Mortirolo which is just an endless narrow deserted path of torture without the scenery of the other climbs. (A certain Mr Armstrong described it as 'just sick'.)

Gavia definitely worth doing. Cancano also.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭LeoD

Did it around 10 years ago. Think 3 or 4 of us could have entered as a group. I can't remember how we even got there now but I do remember that we didn't bring any bikes with us and hired them over there. We were lucky with the bike hire as there weren't as many bikes available as we were led to believe when we contacted the shops beforehand (I think they had more touring/mtb bikes for tourists than decent road bikes). I eventually got my hands on something about 10 years old from a friend of the shop owner but it did the job for the 4-5 days we were there. A great event, stunning scenery and the Passo Giau, for whatever reason, was the nearest I ever came to stopping on a climb and I had done the Marmotte and Etape (Mt Ventoux) the previous two years (maybe it was the bike now that I think of it...).

• Advertisement

Definitely not no bother to me!! I spent 5 minutes lying in a heap on the ground about 2km from the top the first time on the Angliru and I think the only real improvement the other times was I didn't lie on the ground 😁

Advertisement