Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thanks to Putin and Opec

• 12-06-2022 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Maxol Maynooth 11th June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Eamonn Ryan also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Why thanks to Putin? Did he up the price or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We can thank our woke green deal obsessed gretta worshipping political elites- heaped on the carbon taxes, discouraged all new exploration, drilling , fracking. Shunned sensible alternatives like nuclear. Crazed rush to close down things without having sound alternatives in place. All this is the result when a crisis hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,113 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At least the harmless electrical cars can use the nuclear power imported from UK and France while we ban all nuclear power generation here.

Will Irish society ever reach a point where we can have sensible logical conversations around things like nuclear or our supposed neutrality? Appears not- the no neigh never hysterics seem to be more dominant than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How come the price of a barrel of oil was the same last year as it is now, yet it was 120c at the pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,113 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most believable explanation I heard on this was during the week from Nigel Farage (I know, I know) where he said that the majority of the refining of diesel and petrol had become unsustainable and moved from UK to Russia and beyond in recent years because of the high cost of electricity in the UK for heavy industry, similar to the closure of steel plants. When the Russian tap was turned off the system couldn't cope and so prices rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The real issue here is not Ukraine tbh. It's oil producers seeing the writing on the wall for their fuel products and have decided to a) not invest in increasing capacity and b) indulge in profit taking.

The era of reasonably priced oil is probably over save for some catastrophe that tanks demand. Also, if you're deciding on an holiday and the choice is either this year or next, go this year as the prices will be very high next year as the airlines are (partly) locking in their fuel for the next Summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its not the war, wasn't the price on the rise BEFORE the invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,613 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

It's finally about the same price as San Pellegrino.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭Shoog

If this bollox was true America would be immune from it since it is awash with fracked oil and gas. It is suffering exactly the same - why because about 1/10th of oil has suddenly disappeared from the supply chain - why because Putin invaded the Ukraine.

If Saudi had not have entered into a trade war with the American Fracking industry - we would likely have had similar prices for years. It costs a lot more to extract oil/gas by Fracking than it does conventionally. The American Fracking Industry has been operating at a loss for the whole of the last decade. Someone is propping it up for strategic reasons.

As Nuclear stands at the moment there is no sensible or logical and affordable path forward for building plants in Ireland, thinking otherwise is delusional.

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Our civil servants miscalculated the dimensions of a printer, I repeat a fecking printer, which resulted in them needing to near demolish a building to get it in place, at a cost of millions.

I wouldn't be comfortable with them being let oversee something as critical as nuclear energy to be honest.

Anyway, the Brits have a nuclear power plant. I don't think their electricity bills are that much lower than ours on average.

Unfortunately this green bollox is west-wide hence the problems everywhere- hysterical climate “change” cultists have whipped up this frenzy the past 20 years- the end result is the pain we are seeing now. You’re welcome to bury your head in the sand all you like, knock yourself out. The wealthy won’t suffer, the less well off will. China etc must be laughing their heads off at the stupidity of it all.

I didn’t even mention building nuclear here- I am perfectly happy to import it if that works, it’s the hypocrisy that’s more nauseating - the only ones being delusional are the same anti nuclear hypocritical hysterics that this country appears to mushroom in abundance. As many don’t have a proper educational foundation in basic science. It really shows unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a supply issue and China too. While they were locked down over COVID their economy came to a halt. Now, it's trying to rev up again and that has spiked demand in a world where Russian oil might as well be nuclear waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I didn’t even mention building nuclear here- I am perfectly happy to import it if that works, it’s the hypocrisy that’s more nauseating - the only ones being delusional are the same anti nuclear hypocritical hysterics that this country appears to mushroom in abundance. As many don’t have a proper educational foundation in basic science.

TBF the economics of nuclear power are way beyond us anyway and you'd better get used to that "green bollox" because that's where we are all heading, screaming or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭Shoog

I am a trained scientist, and if you had a shred of the scientifc knowledge you claim you would not dismiss the climate science and it's wealth of evidence - evidence the oil industry knew about 40years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Only problem with Nuclear is the cost. Every other energy source is significantly cheaper.

The new Nuclear power plant in Hinkley is going to be a decades long argument against nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Very little to do with the war. More to do with the creep on the bicycle above in the Dail.

Barrels of oil were far more expensive a few years ago and we were paying €1.20 a litre.

It's beyond time to stand up to the gov and their fûcking 70% tax on fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Where are you getting it was the same?

This time last year it was ~75 vs 120 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Strange how Eamon Ryan has so much pull all over the western world seeing as they're having the same issues we are

It's to do with the price of gas and it's effect on refinery costs.

No fan of the Greens but not going to pretend that Eamon Ryan is one of the most powerful people in the world either.

Turning a barrel of oil in to fuels now is where the additional expense is, shipping and logistics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Don't forget that the worldwide shortages of staff in airports, and the resulting delays are all due to Eamon Ryan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say FF and FG are delighted with Eamon Ryan taking all the blame for their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You don't hear any Scientists trying to discredit climate change for the same reason that you don't hear any scientists supporting the theory that the earth is actually flat.

The evidence is simply incontrovertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The government in 2008 bankrupted this country. Turn on any government speeches during that time and you'd see Eamon Ryan and Micheal Martin.

Here we are 14 years later and these two are at the wheel again.

How did this happen? Wtf is wrong with the people of this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is it too much to expect the government to cut duty and vat on oil? It’s easy to blame OPEC but the reality is that governments are making more from taxation on fossil fuels than the exporters.

I couldn’t care less what you are. I never asked but seen as you brought it up so I am. The evidence for man made climate change is weak at best- sadly it’s been exploited to the hilt as a revenue and control generating exercise for western governments and their NGO strong pullers. Turned into hyper emotional hysteria with religious level devotion. Not to mention the seemingly endless parade of conference bottoms feeders, NGOs and public servants that now depend on the climate gravy train.

The reality is the planets climate has had millennia of different changes- period of extreme cold and heat, mini ice ages etc. Those fantasists that believe we can control this are laughable but sadly very dangerous now in their scope and power now. To think tiny Ireland would have any impact is even more laughable against the scale of China etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The evidence is not weak, but incontrovertible

I think your point is that you don't know about it (somehow)

Head in the sand stuff

Advertisement