Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mavic ksyrium sl opinions

• 11-06-2022 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Ordered a set of these today for my rim brake canyon. I think around €800 quid which was not far off a set of hunt carbons i bought 18 months ago. Expensive for alliminium but ive heard that a good alliminium wheel is just as good as a good carbon wheel.

They must be good if they cost that much. Shop recommended them.

Anyone have a set please, particularly the sl model? What are they like if so?

Post edited by Weepsie on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't think you can go too far wrong with Mavic. Have Ksyrium Elite UST myself. €390 (including tires) in 2019. They're about 70g heavier than the SL. Couldn't fault them in any way tbh. Even raced a season on them. They've been through 3 winters in the West of Ireland and still on original bearings. Absolutely bomb proof wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Thanks. Nearly half the price of the ones i got. I wonder why there is such a gap in price between the two makes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can I ask, why order and then ask later unless you're able to cancel change order?

I've a set of the original version of these the SLS, (2013-15 I think), they are lighter still and I have no issues with them.

What's the goal. You want light wheels? You want aero? You want something inbetween?

Also, you can't get wheels through b2w. If you do grand, that's you're business, but it's tax fraud technically. It happens yes, but don't post about it.

I dont know much about rim alliminium wheels so the shop recommended them. I need light sturdy wheels for the hills basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Zondas Zondas Zondas, theyre perfect for climbing and they're indestructible. The price difference in those mavics is probably that 70grams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I bought a pair of Kysrium S a couple of months ago from Alltricks. They were 349 euro.

They weigh in at 1570 grammes. I think, they're great. I have them on my Planet X titanium bike. They look the business.

I was thinking of getting the SLs, but couldn't justify the cost for a weight saving of 70 grammes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rode a set of SL Pro into the ground from new. Never needed a bearing just one spoke in 5 years & my weight range was 92-110kgs over that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I have a set of the original ones from maybe 2004 timeframe. No issues with bearings or freewheel etc but a spoke pulled the threaded hole out of the rim. Common enough issue with them - but that might only be the early ones. I suppose they owe me nothing at this stage 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They must be good if they cost that much.

sounds like the definition of a veblen good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had some sl's about 2012 always thought they caught crosswinds and tended to get a bit of a wobble around 70kmh. zondas were better imho.

• Advertisement

From reading about the sl`s compared to zondas and cheaper wheelsets the premium price is for a more plush ride. The zondas ive read in reviews are a very good wheelset but a harsh ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

A1 Wheelset.

The brake tracks will wear quicker than the standard Ksyriums but as you’ve bought new, there’s no need to worry about that for many thousand Kms as long as you keep the brake tracks and pads fairly clean.

I Wouldn’t be pairing them up with a 105 groupset, however, as there is a mismatch there. But that’s personal choice. You might upgrade groupset over time or just ride it as it is with the new wheels...up to you.

You're some man for a change of mind; last week you were happy with the Aksiums 😄😄

I got a bike too so had a good bit of money left over. Had to spend it on something so a set of wheels made sense. The canyon cost me 950 and the wheels were 850 😁. Its 105 rim and literally a brand new bike so ill get a few years out of it and then keep it for the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

850 is some price when they can be purchased online for little over 500 from the German sites...

Great wheels but your paying way over the odds for them.

https://www.bike24.com/p2402987.html

Top of the range wheels within a mid-range groupset.

Not that it matters anyway - they’ll still be a big improvement on the Aksiums!

Im getting them half price at 850 so its a good deal. Plus, anything wrong with them i just go directly to the shop which is better than online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And you probably wouldn't be able to tell th difference, most people wouldn't. There's a reason zondas are so insanely popular and it's nothing to do with a harsh ride.

The mismatch comment is complete bollocks though and all that is wrong with the hobbyist cyclist world and just serves to put people off (saying this as someone waiting to put ultegra group onto a bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You might want to upgrade your bullsh1t radar.

If nicksnikita is right, the difference between the cheaper Ksyriums and the expensive one is 70g of braking material on the rim; which to my mind makes it an inferior product.

I'd love to hear the technical justification for a plusher ride

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Its just high end shopping really, after a certain point parts don't get much if at all any better, they just get lighter. Personally I think a set of zondas or those cheaper mavics and some carbon handle bars would've been a far better upgrade. But its all relative. Never found my zondas a harsh ride btw, they're stiff for sure but thats the point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bet if you cycled with your eyes closed you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between zondas and the ksyriums.

mainly because it's hard to tell the difference between them in an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just checking you parsed that correctly? You are paying 850, which you believe is a 50% discount from somewhere, and you were shown a link to a reputable online store with brilliant delivery and excellent returns service, where the new retail price is €516.

Maybe I am not parsing it correctly of course!

Unrelated, but....USTs......best of luck with that! I sent a set of new Mavic USTs back to Decathlon faster than I could park and run!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭G1032

How do you mean they're half price at 850? Are you saying the shop you got them in had them advertised at 1700 euro?

Either way you've paid way over the odds but each to their own I suppose. Great wheel and they should give you trouble free riding for a long time to come. Which is more than I would say about Zondas 🙈. Rear wheel from a set I bought was nothing but trouble. That's a different story though!

I had a cube agree c62 2022 ordered with the ctw making up a part of the payment through a deposit. Bike got delayed so i have cancelled it and bought a cube aim pro and a set of ksyriums out of store credit from ctw. So the wheels are 850 but i have got them for 425. I got the cube aim pro for 325.

Do you remember your tales of woe with Conti GP5000s a couple of years back? Welcome to that (x2) with Mavic UST rims!

What is this shop that's giving out Cube Aim Pros for half price? I don't need one, but fcuk it at 325 I'll take one!! 😂

That may be your opinion chief but in my opinion, putting an €800 Wheelset on a €900 bike is a mismatch.

The bike was 650 but half price due to ctw, ie., 325. This is a genuine question, have you not get anything better to do than drag up 2 year old posts to try get a point across?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ah that makes sense so, nice wheels and a solid upgrade to the bike in my opinion so hopefully you get them without too long a wait. Never mind the mismatch comment either as they are perfect wheels for the Canyon.

That Cube looks like a great bike too so good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

From my experience with Ksyriums, I wouldn't buy another set. My first entry level set were Ksyrium Equipe S I think. Go them in 2012 and had they were bulletproof until the rear rim failed when a spoke pulled through it. They were borderline not owing me anything at the point, they had about 12k on them, which is arguably a bit low, but on the other hand at the time I was probably at the upper end of their recommended weight and my local road surfaces can leave a bit to be desired.

The set I replaced them with - mid range, not sure of the exact model - were utter pants. The rear rapidly went out of true and absolutely refused to be trued, even to the extent of being rebuilt the the wheel builder in my LBS who took it as an Ahab like challenge. I think they lasted 2 wobbly years before being consigned to the bin (well, the rear anyway, the front was ok). The big problem, and this wouldn't be just a Mavic problem in fairness, is seized nipples as they use alloy. LBS guy was against them as well as he'd seen a huge drop in quality control with Mavic in the middle of the last decade. They've hopefully improved now that they've been bought out and returned to their core business, but having been burnt, I'm very happily running on a set of DT Swiss PR 1600

Anyway, that's my 2c, and I do have to say when the wheels were doing what they were supposed to do, they were great. Hopefully OP your experience will be better

• Advertisement

It's just that you told us about your woes with certain types of wheels, and you've just acquired another set of them (similar type anyway). From recent, and bitter, experience, Mavic UST tubeless rims seem to be a pain in the hoop to work with any tyres. I'm hoping you don't have to go down that road again as I recall your pain quite clearly!

Advertisement