Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2022

• 05-06-2022 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

May as well start the ball rolling.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

This is a must win for djkovic if he wants to win most slams. Wimbledon have banned number 2 player, number 3 player is injured, number 4 player is a doubt

Djokovic is the overwhelming favourite to win at evens. The 2nd favourite for Wimbledon is Alcaraz at 6/1.

The toughest task for djkovic could be bannana skins like cilic in last 16 or Felix in quarter's

On paper,If he avoids certain players this could be one of the easiest grand slam victorys of his career

Then there is the Nadal question. If he plays and is fit. If he avoids certain player's, he has his best chance in years to win another Wimbledon

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nole and Nadal rightly favorites, but warm, not hot in my view

The only person I can see maybe rising to the occasion is Felix. Tsiitipas should go far but results wise, he is going backwards since french open defeat. Alcaraz has only won one match on grass ever? . I believe the reason that he is second favourite is the unknown bit. I think a good result for him would be last 16

Who else is there? That can win the tournament?

Just Looking at Wimbledon winners on wiki. The last player who was not federer, nadal,djokovic, murray to win Wimbledon was lyten hewton in 2002! Goran won in 2001, and Sampras won from 1997 to 2000.

5 players have won Wimbledon since 1997!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

Matteo Berretini isn't one to write off. Just back from injury now ans will get time to get games under his belt before Wimbledon. If he gets a nice draw he could go for. Outside of Novak he has the tools to beat anyone.

• Advertisement

Yes Berretini can but, Someone needs to step up and beat a fit djokovic or nadal in a major . Who is going to step up ? Who is that guy to dominate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In fairness, Alcaraz does look the real deal. Multiple M1000 won whilst still 19. The FO was obviously a disappointment for him, but I can see him doing well in the slams from here on, particularly the USO. He's a unknown quantity for Wimbledon though, with his lack of grass pedigree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yes. Thank you for that correction. 7 players won. 5 player's dominated in that period

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd be very surprised if Djokovic doesn't win the men's.

As for the women's, I think it's very open. Despite Swiatek's dominance I don't think she's going to win Wimbledon. Still doesn't have quite enough experience on the surface, and has also pulled out of Berlin which means she'll be going in relatively cold. Can see her losing to an unheralded, Ostapenko style player, someone who'll play lights out for one match and lose in the next round. Famous last words 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

In other news, Sue Barker has announced that this will be her last year presenting Wimbledon. End of an era!

Very difficult to see anyone beating him, unless his relative lack of match play from the beginning of the year comes back to bite him.

On grass?who csn beat him?

Berrettini, FAA, Nadal all have the potential to do so.

Now I don't think any of them will do so, but you keep asking you can beat him, and I believe those 3 can, if they play lights out and Djokovic has an off day

Last time Rafa and Nole met at SW19 was 2018, and it was razor tight. So so close. Rafa has just beaten Nole, yes it was clay, but still a tennis match. I’d make Nole only a slightly warm favorite v Nadal

I'd have him more than slight fav. Djokovic has been the best grass courter for the last 10 years, so it's hard to make an argument against him. The only caveat I would add is his fitness/conditioning. He looked gassed towards the end of the FO. Although grass matches tend to be shorter, if someone can take him to 5, who knows how he will hold up? Of course, Nadals foot is the biggest unknown entity at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Nadals foot is fine, it's a distraction - stop falling for it.

Pity about Sue Barker, it will be sad to see her go, she's been doing it since I was a kid ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Way to make me feel old - she was playing when I was a kid 😭

She's been great, was sorry to see her finish on QoS (although the shake-up was good for the programme overall IMO), and will definitely miss her on Wimbledon coverage.

Yes, the injury talk with Rafa is odd. Chap still playing exceptionally well. It’s just wear and tear like all athletes, but with Rafa it seems to be out there as some real injury concern .

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

So he's hobbling about for no reason then? Or getting the laser ablation (or whatever it's called) treatment all for pretence?

Nadal has been injured throughout his whole career, has a history of it, but is faking it now? Maybe that makes some people feel better about the fact that he beat Djokovic on one leg.

If he was “genuinely” needing/having to hobble due to a proper injury there is no fooking way he’d be winning slams.

These injuries seem to be way played up. All top sports people in very physically challenging sports are never 100 percent perfect. At least not all the time.

edit: Rafa says he played the final with his foot asleep. Injections to numb the pain.

Post edited by walshb on

The Draws are out

Djokovic Alcaraz 1/4 possible

The game is afoot with Nadal on the other side.

easier to see complete draw on atp site.

Wimby link with WTA draw below

Raducanu gets ginger ninja WTA 46 Alison Van Uytvanck who won a WTA 125 on grass last week but there was hardly anyone there to challenge really. She played doubles with her girlfriend last year.

Would be Raducanu's highest-ranked win since the US Open if she goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't know about Nadal, he last won Wimbledon in 2010 and his last final was the following year.

I thought Djok looked slightly off the pace in that French final, regardless of how well Nadal played. The question is is he just a bit rusty, or is he starting to decline (by historical standards these guys are ancient for top players).

Murray has a winnable first round match, but then will probably meet Isner in the 2nd round which will likely be the end.

Gift draw for Djokovic again this year at Wimbledon . Avoids everyone he wanted to avoid. Shouldn't drop a set untill the semi finals

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

Van Uytvanck Is decent on grass so that’s not an easy draw for Raducanu. Halep Muchova looks the tie of the first round on the Wta side.

Berrettini has a decent draw until quarters where he’s due to meet Tsitsipas and then Nadal, I don’t think Nadal will reach the semis. However I’ve written him off so many times and ended up with egg on my face so take that prediction with a pinch of salt.

I saw some pictures of Alcarez practicing and his elbow was very heavily strapped.

Kyrios due to meet Tsitsipas in third round, popcorn match right there.

I think 3rd round for Alcaraz would be a great result. He could easily lose in the first round. I don't believe he is a contender like the bookies have him, and won't be for years

Kyrios tsiitipas is a great match .Tsiitipas is still mentally affected by that french open defeat. Kyrios is the better player on grass . Over 5 sets, I actually think Tsitsipas might win

you mean the RG 1/4 final?

Djokovic didn't perform there to the level of play he had being showing on clay earlier that week and in winning the 1000 in Rome, after winning the 2nd set and particularly not closing out the 4th -it's either that the lack of matches this year was felt or time is catching up with him.

He should have more of an advantage at Wimbledon but he's more vulnerable in general for sure - at least from the display in that RG match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Tbf to murray he will 100% be a favourite against Isner and is very good against big servers.

Advertisement