Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfers taking Saudi money and splitting the sport

• 09-06-2022 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like golf as a sport is now irreparably damaged with the news that the PGA have suspended all the players who are taking part in the latest attempt at Saudi sportswashing, the new LIV tour. Players like Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickleson are reported to have been paid $200m and $150m respectively to play for the new Saudi backed tour, Grahme McDowell is also on board.

Tiger was supposedly offered up to $1bn to join it but he refused as has McIllroy and the rest of the worlds top 10. Players who have joined the Saudi backed tour have now been suspended by the PGA effectively splitting the sport in two with more players likely to go overboard for the huge sums of money on offer.

Its a pity really that we may never against see the best playing the best again, Majors wont be the same again if many of the best players are missing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Grubby business, and not restricted to the sporting world.

Plenty of our captains of industry here in Ireland do stints in Saudi for ridiculous money. Witness our DAA friends devoting their time and energy to Jeddah airport.

It's a hard reality that Saudis enjoy outsized influence on the world by dint of their energy reserves, and that will only grow now that Russia's name is rightfully in the dirt.

It's the devil's bargain we've struck for energy stability. Realistically, what are we going to do about it? If the US ceased backstopping their security, the Chinese would be there the next morning offering their services - and the world will have changed fundamentally.

I don't like the Saudis one bit, the West could stand to be a bit tougher with them on a whole host of matters, but their influence is something I'm resigned to unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Teachers and nurses also do Saudi stints so that they can afford to come back here and buy a house. They are nowhere near the same league as these self-obsessed money sniffers who are lending credibility to a very suspect political regime courting respectability. The defection by some players, largely in their 40s and 50s, is pure soul selling but it remains to be seen just how much of a split there is. The sense is that most will still stick with the PGA and the established order.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Hard to turn down that sort of money, more power to them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Yurt2 do you consider the UAE and Qatari investments funds the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't blame those players for taking the money, a guaranteed tens or hundreds of millions is no small thing for players getting near the tail end of their career.

But I doubt this will harm the PGA much in the long run. The Saudi's bought a few players and held a little tournament, good for them, but do the public really give a toss about it? The PGA have the masters, the open, the Ryder cup etc etc, and the best players will always want to be mixing it in the big tournaments. Its not as if the top players are slumming it in the PGA, plenty of money there too so thats where the big players will go.

The Saudis can throw money around all they want but they can't buy class or history, just look at how little people care about the likes of City or PSG buying their trophies for example. They can spunk a few billion on this sportswashing but the top golfers won't want to be outside looking in on the Masters every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Augme

Technically they don't the masters and two of the other Open majors. The masters pick who is allowed played and the PGA technically have no say. The two open tournaments are, as the name describes, open to anyone. So the LIV players can't enter the qualifying tournaments for those two events.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

More power to them

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Michelson's net worth before the $200m he's receiving for this is around $400m

He says he's doing it to provide for his family

Maybe he wants to buy them one of those yachts that have recently come on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Apparently there's no drug testing and a couple of players are known to like the sandy stuff. There's also a player signed up that everyone is convinced is juicing.

Wouldn't be surprised if "Man of the people" Shane Lowry rocks up in a few weeks and plays the family card. He played in the Saudi open a few months ago.

A lot of players are playing the "looking after my families future" card. Whilst teaching their kids that it's ok to accept money off anyone for anything, as long as you get paid son.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

More power to them, change is good, the PGA will have to up their game. They don’t control the majors so they’re still an option, sponsors I imagine will have a big say. I can’t see the Masters not inviting DJ Louis or Mickelson for example. As for the human rights **** slinging, its a bit rich coming from a US based organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd go work for whoever paid me the most money. Why wouldn't golfers do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Apart from the Saudi issue, they’re complaining they can’t play on both tours, what’s the angle there? PGA said play where you want but you can’t play our tour if you are, as is their right.

The Saudi's aren't Putin or Isis. I woudn't work for either of those.

Would I work for Trump, I don't see why not. I don't agree with most of the crap that comes out of his mouth but why would that stop me from working from him? I've worked for bigger w@nkers in my time.

The Saudi's aren't a bunch of angels but we are happy enough to take their oil and gas, what's the difference in taking their golf money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trawler1954

Can't understand why th PGA should have either a monoply or cartel on Golfers !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Saudi's are ISIS FFS. They were funding them for years and are of the same branch of Islam. They fund the wars throughout Africa with Al-Shabaab and Boko Haram. They are actively committing a genocide in Yemen. They are worse than Putin, and they are ISIS.

The pretty much give North Korea a run for the most evil regime on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

This is golfs version of the attempted and failed European Super Cup, well could develop that way. McDowell's statement about the Saudi's wanting to use this tournament to be better or some nonsense like that was laughable. Tell the truth Graeme, you just love money and they made you an offer you couldn't refuse, stop the pretence it's as false as your accent.

Well, just to split hairs, legally I am not allowed to work for ISIS as they are a terrorist organisation. I am not sure about the legality of working for Putin.

Maybe I should have worded my sentence to include a reference to legal work to humour those in this thread who are pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

Whatever about having to fund them by buying their oil, taking it for no reason other than pure greed says a lot about where these peoples morals are found.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I see no difference between the golfers and the Newcastle/ManCity, Formula 1 etc. Hard to see why the golfers are given a tough time but the others get a free pass.

Personally I think they are all equally scummy.

Professional golf is and has always been about money.

All this horseshit about the Azaleas at Amen corner and Peter Aliss waxing on about how things used to be was manufactured after the fact.

That a load of them have exposed themselves as hypocritical greedy counts surprises absolutely nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well I suppose this new Saudi tour is proving they dont. But when we watch high level sports we want to see the best compete against the best and by the looks of it that will no longer be the case. So ultimately the sport of golf gets diluted when some good players are off on another tour. It might be great for Mickleson, Dustin Johnson and Greg Norman who is leading it with them getting shed loads of cash but its not great for the fans of the sport seeing the field weakened.

So for me its not about the PGA having a monopoly, its more about the sport no longer having the best players competing against each other and it being weakened overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Anyone running a car on or heating their home with oil based products is financing the Saudi regime.

They wouldn't have the money to sponsor these tournaments if we didn't finance them.

@Richard Hillman

[i]They are actively committing a genocide in Yemen.[\i]

Actively? I think that you will find that there is a peace agreement which has stropped fighting for the last 3 months and was recently extended for another 2 months. But what would you have them do? Should they have allowed the Houthis to take over the whole country? What other solutions existed 7 years ago?

And you also appear to be saying that Saudi nationals were doing exactly the same as Irish/US nationals were doing as they supported NORAID.

If you want to stop taking Middle Eastern money, then stop it for ALL, politicians (ex), businesses, exports, imports, golfers, horse industry, transport industry, football, musicians, F1, Dakar rally, Formula E, World Cup, not to mention companies in Europe that have huge amounts of ME money invested in them such as Uber, Soft Bank, Eurodisney.

Not really fair to just pick out the golfers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is a quantitative and qualitative difference between filling your car, and taking millions upon millions to help sportswash a country which has a very dodgy human rights record. Most people here would probably be more than happy to fill their car using petrol which did not originate in SA, but in reality don't have any say in where that petrol came from. That's a long way removed from already stinkingly rich people taking eye watering amounts of money to help improve the image of that regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Double standards, there was a swift witch hunt of Roman Abromovich and Chelsea because of his ties to Putin. The Ukraine invasion was the flavour of the month and all over the news. Yet the Saudis were allowed to buy Newcastle FC a few months earlier unchallenged all whilst they admitted to the murder of a journalist and beheaded over 80 people in one day.

They don't but they do have a right to determine that their product is not devalued by members just suiting themselves. That's what this is about, plus a cohort of largely older, already very rich men lining their nests in spectacular fashion. The format looks like a game show anyway and the tacked on team thing is right out of a kids' summer camp.

• Advertisement

None of that is part of the definition of a suitable club owner and there are all sorts of other dodgy owners. Abramovich was not hunted out, he was part of a wider group of sanctioned individuals, which was a political not a sporting decision.

Advertisement