Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entrance Width

• 09-06-2022 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Looking about building pillars and putting gates on a lane up to a yard. Potentially big machinery will need access, what would be the recommended minimum width to make this entrance?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Is there much room to swing in off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Completely straight either side, bascially its a shared lane so far up and then private afterwards (where the gates will be) so no turns/swings need to be catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Do you think the lane itself will be wide enough for potentially big machinery... outside width of lane at both sides for pillars would be the norm if lane is straight.

As it is the lane is wide enough as there is a good width verge for anything hanging over.

My worry is if 2 solid pillars are built at the 2 edges of the road/laneway it could hinder wider over hanging stuff. At least at this point I could plan to set the pillars back a bit at each side if needed. At the moment I have just over 11 ft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Look up forest road bell mouth plans and that will give you a fair idea what a truck needs to swing in off a road.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think most of ours are 15ft. What width is it out to the fences/hedges at either side?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

It's usually turning angles on a lane that cause problems for big machinery where a pillar does come in the way

Lots of space out to the hedge, could be another 10 feet each side but would like to keep pillars to the width of the roadway (11 ft) as much as possible - just for the look of the thing really !

Cheers, thats a good link.

But for this case it is a straight lane that is shared half way up then private the remainder of the way. Its at the point where it becomes private that the pillars/gates are planned for, so thankfully no turning or swinging to be done at the pillars.

• Advertisement

If it were me, I'd go out to at least a 12ft gate. Is it just really farm machinery/implements that you are expecting up the laneway? I think abnormal loads are classed as over 2.9m, so that's roughly 10ft. Allowing for gate hinging and pillar coping your 11ft opening gives approx. 4 inches either side for a wide vehicle. Hence why I'd go at least 12ft.

27.        The overall width of a vehicle together with its load, other than loose agricultural produce neither baled nor crated, shall not in any case exceed 2.9 metres and, for the purpose of calculating this dimension, Regulation 23 applies as if the load formed part of the vehicle.

If they are bombing up an 11ft laneway with 10ft either side funneling them down into a narrow gateway might result in a few scrapes for those not fully concentrating.

Why is the verge so wide?

You are right about allowing 12ft.

Its a bit of a drain to each side, might not be 10ft each side, but thats the way it was before I ever came about the place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

12ft isn’t wide enough nowadays. A 10’6” mower will only have 9” space either side.

Go with 14’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Another idea, which worked here. Widen the head of inside passage by around 3 feet, either side, with filling. This gives the driver space to drive onto and then straighten up again back onto the passage.

Oops - should have read all your posts

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

At least 12ft, but yes we have 15ft and wouldn't be with smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I even see potato equipment on the road now must be 14'. Even diggers on low loaders are big.

No point anyone walling themselves in and bashing their head later.

There's 20ft gates too OP. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bring the pillars back from the road is the best solution. On the farm the gate was previously 10-12 feet from edge of road just enough for a car to half pull in. I never really widened the entrance but put the RSJ 's for the new gate 13' back nearly 30'. I can pull the jeep and box off the road before opening the gate. Artic with fertilizer gets in no problem as can any contractor. The road outside is a byroad

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for all the comments. Where the gate will be the traffic will be coming at it completely straight going by the RSA link the biggest traffic would be 3.5 metres - but as most have pointed out better to go a bit wider just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just make it wider than you think. You will never regret it.

An option might be put 2 8 or 10ft gates. Can be easier on the gate posts and a post in the middle makes it easier to secure with a chain or lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If traffic is coming at it completely straight. 12-13 feet is plenty. That is why I moved my RSJ pillars back to 25+ feet so as that anything coming at it would be nearly straight by the time it comes to the gate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭DBK1

You’ll never be sorry you made it wider. It’s like the feed passage of a shed, I’ve yet to stand in a shed where the owner said “that feed passage is too wide, I should have made it narrower”!!

If they’re going to be stone piers you’re never going to change them again so do it right the first time. I would say 14 foot at a very minimum.

I’ve a 30 foot entrance into the yard here with 2 15 foot gates and a centre post, it’s like that for over 20 years now and lads thought I was mad doing it at the time but I’ve never regretted it. It’s great comfort to be able to swing in off the road with anything you want and not be watching for gate posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Never heard any man ever complain that he made a gate entrance too wide

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

A lot of machines such as harvesters, excavators are 10' wide an 11' gap between pillars leaves it quite tight, as also need to allow for gate hanging, which could be 2-3 inches out from pillar

Advertisement