Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Marmotte 2022

Options
  • 07-06-2022 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I did not see any threads dedicated to this year's Marmotte so I thought I'd post this video.

I have endured two Etapes in the past and although I finished both they were a real struggle. That said, I learned a lot about pacing, nutrition, gearing, heat and clothing which I hope to put to good use on July 3rd of this year. In addition to the advice given in this video does anyone have anything else to add? I am based in London and 6 of us are driving down in three cars so I'll have the room to pack for any eventuality. After a lot of debate we opted for renting static mobile homes in a campsite halfway between Allemond and Bourg D'Oissans so we'll have an easy roll to the start line and we also have an easy escape route if any of us think we cannot make it up Alpe D'Huez. So, as much for my own peace of mind, below are a few things to consider.

Sleeping tablets - arguably a really bad idea ahead of an endurance event but I am my own worst enemy when it comes to pre-event nerves and I have cycled two Etapes with essentially no sleep the night before. I have experimented with a number of different sleeping pills over the years (all bought through chemists) and am willing to trade some initial grogginess for a sleep the night before.

I am bringing my fan with me for my room because it can get very hot an muggy at night in that part of the world.

Ear-pods and music for the climbs? I would not normally wear earphones when cycling but I have used them in the past when cycling in the Dolomites and the Alps and I have been listening to music when on the turbo at home and I find it helpfully distracting. I was only planning to pop the airpods in on the Galibier and Huez as I am guessing the event will have thinned out a lot by then and the roads will be quieter.

Nutrition. Cliff bars, Battle Bites and a relatively new addition for me are Maurten Gels. Gels usually cause all kinds of stomach problems for me and coupled with the heat in France in July I have teneded to avoid them but a cycling friend recommended them and they seem to work well for me without any negative side-effects. I understand that they are designed to be easy on the stomach. I will also bring some bananas and homemade croissant sandwiches for the early part of the event because I don't plan to queue at the first food stop atop Glandon.

Riding by heart rate only. I have a dedicated heart rate screen on my Karoo and I will only use this on the ascents. I plan to ride within myself for every climb but this may not be realistic and fatigue and heat play their part as the day wears on but it will hopefully stop my from doing anything foolish early on.

Good luck to all planning to ride it this year.

Comments

Advertisement