Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

broadsheet.ie is closing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a pity, I would usually check the front pages of the papers regularly and there was some intereresting discussions on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Shame, they had some really good stuff back in the day re: Siteserv, INM and the dealings of a certain businessman who shall not be named

The Irish media scene is a lot worse off without them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's sad news, it was a bit of a staple of Ye Olde Irish Internet for me for a good few years. Haven't gone near it in a while but there was a time when I'd have read it daily with a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

I was a regular visitor and occasional commenter, almost from the start. I spent far too much time reading comments and getting a kick out of some of the recurring jokes. It was a very satisfactory balance of hiberno-eccentricity and sociopolitical commentary.

I stopped visiting so often when the site seemed intent on promoting some very uninspired content. I've forgotten a lot of it but the awful "Leather Jacket Guy" stands out.

I dropped in the odd time and found that the increasingly nutty conspiracy stuff had taken over and had set the tone for the comments too. I would visit the site maybe once a month but haven't clicked into an article on Broadsheet in a couple of years.

I would bloody love it if we could all pretend the last few years on Broadsheet never happened and go back to the good old days.

Completely jumped the shark during COVID lockdowns. Whiff of the far-right off it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

They firmly dug their own grave during Covid with the prominent anti-vax/anti-covid content, not to mention the crazy conspiracy theory stuff. More recently their stance on Ukraine/Russia left alot to be desired.

Such a shame, they had some great content back in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Used it to look at Sunday paper front pages the night before but can't say it'll leeave a big void in my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was an occasional visitor until they went all Gemma, that was it for me. The comments always seemed like a clique, no interest in that stuff.

I think breakingnews.ie does the newspaper front pages, for anyone needing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The idea that they went down some full on alt right conspiracy road isn't really accurate.

Most of the Covid "conspiracy" stuff they posted was nod and a wink type stuff, never full on by any means, but that's the memory people have of it for some reason.

Some of the more "Woke" people in their comment section seem to be welcoming the closure as a victory even though they're the most vocal people on the entire platform, they'll have to find a new bridge to hide under.

They ran Bloggorah in years gone by (before all the thicko's got on the internet thanks to social media), hopefully there's another project on the way but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Glazers Out!

Isn’t it funny how none of Gemma’s many defamation cases never quite make it to Court?

SOP within far right circles to be threatening and fighting each other when things go sour.

I have a problem with how the term "far right" is used, it's lazy labeling. Broadsheet isn't/wasn't a far right website, yes they were posting stories about Covid that weren't in line with popular consensus but saying they're far right is a stretch.

Someone in the broadsheet comments section mentioned that the people they've been arguing with there for the last few years should join Stormfront, similar garbage gets thrown around on this site ("boards is turning into storm front") and it's just lazy argument.

Differing opinions exist, we all need to deal with that as a fact of life. Everyone who disagrees with us nowadays has to be identified and labeled as something repugnant, it's easier and more expedient than rational discourse.

Glazers Out!

There's 'different opinions' and there's 'Let's listen to Gemma now because she has some interesting ideas'.

You're right though, I probably should have implied Broadsheet was 'far right'. They're not Grift, for sure. Maybe medium right, and leaning towards the far side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Must you ruin every thread with your own obsession with the far-right boogeyman under the bed?

Gemma was listened to there about 5 years ago. She was at one stage a respected journalist, the guy who runs broadsheet comes from the same industry, who would have thought that two journalists would talk to each other? Must be a massive far right conspiracy.

There's plenty of people who interacted with Gemma O'Doherty over the years before she went off the deep end, are those people all far right loonies too?

This is the problem with the type of garbage you're stating as fact, it's based on a foundation of your ill informed opinion, you don't stop to think, never mind do due diligence before posting absolute waffle that is at best daft ramping up to libelous , then you go on to row back when it's pointed out to you.

The amount of clowns in Ireland who are hell bent on willing a strong far right into existence never ceases to amaze me. Far right political entities in Ireland are the absolute fringe with a pathetic level of organization and support, but all the same they're about to take over according to some people on the internet. I won't be checking under my bed for the far right any time soon.

Glazers Out!

Some people on Twitter.

Now that's proof that you're right.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Never ceases to amaze that the far-right will go out of their way to claim there is no far-right. I guess you could call it “gaslighting”.

And, isn’t it weird how much they hate the, applicable, “labels”? What’s that about? Lots of denial. Racists, homophobes, misogynists, transphobes, bigots and the rest can’t stand to be called as such.

What’s that old saying again, ‘to thine own self be true’? Might be a lot less angry, and hate filled, if they just accepted what they are and tried to get past it.

The tide is turning…

Gemma was a travel features writer who had well gone off the rails at the time of her bizarre presidency bid. Broadsheet didn't 'interact' with her, they provided a platform for her to extend her reach.

You've gone for some fairly extreme levels of strawmanning in your post there, attacking stuff I didn't actually say. I'd broadly agree with you about the fringe nature of the far right and pathetic levels of organisation and support. The closure of broadsheet is a fairly good measure of the pathetic levels of support, as you go further out to the right.

Nope, it doesn't prove that I'm right. It DOES prove that my position isn't that unusual or extreme, as some round here seem keen to spin things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Always was first port of call for news, Irish takes on things and then I forgot about it for a while and when I came back it was all this

Conspiracy BS, is there even a virus? Gender type sh!te,

that I couldnt be bothered scrolling as I presumed they were pushing some crazy extremist narrative-

It's mad how they originally started out as being very relatable and ended up agreeing with the likes of Gemma O Crazy pants & Co.

I'd even wonder are they ok???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Didn't a few regular commenters get involved in some doxxing campaigns too.

Used to be decent, but it's far from what it was in only a few years.

Chickens coming home to roost.

How weird that advertisers want nothing to do with the cesspit of conspiracy crap and right-wing nonsense BS became. Sad to see it go, but completely unsurprised by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Good news.

hopefully boards.ie next

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It went completely down hill during covid which is why many people stopped visiting. Also the comments used to be quite funny years back but they just turned into a nasty cesspit in the last few years. I really dont get why they let it lurch into all the anti vax shite, it turned off their audience. Surely John Ryan saw the numbers of visitors going down but they just kept on pushing that line, they shot themselves in the foot. The same thing happened to the Property Pin as well.

Hopefully someone will set up a site with the next days newspapers on it, it was very handy for that

I'm the one arguing that broadsheet wasn't a far right platform and that the far right in Ireland is a joke.

Are you implying that I am myself a member of the far right? I'm assuming you have proof of this.

Glazers Out!

Is it your contention that by addressing issues that are relevant to a lot of discourse in modern Ireland in relation to this that I am constructing a strawman?

Any time something is raised in a discussion in the abstract sense the person doing so is "building a strawman". More lazy argument, always playing the man and not the ball.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fallout2022

broadsheet.ie is closing.

It's folding?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No, certainly not. Very dangerous to, directly, call any users, on this site, “far-right”, “bigot” or “racist” etc.

I’m sure I’ve explained it before, on another part of Boards.ie, but it’s a “quirk” of the site where if you call a racist “a racist”, a transphobe “a transphobe”, a bigot “a bigot”, a homophobe “a homophobe”, and so on, then you, yourself, are liable to get sanctioned, if not banned when the racist, transphobe, bigot, homophobe etc reports you to the moderators.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yet you created an account as recently as 6 weeks ago...🤨

Advertisement