Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 14 2021-22

• 03-10-2021 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there is a thread on this already.

Premier Sports are the broadcasters in Ireland and it is on Now TV.

However, I see tonight's game involving Clermont is only on Freesports, which seems to be a pay channel in Ireland now (on Virgin and Sky I think). Freesports is no longer on Freesat.

Is there any other way to watch it?

Really like the games on Sunday evenings. It is on at a nice time around 8pm.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

There is a general french discussion thread but no harm having a season thread..

the uk/irish rights are with premier sports/freesports i think so no other way to watch in ireland

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055883024/french-rugby-updates-le-cafe-du-rugby/p201

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Freesports is available through the other channels function still and the freesports player app can be downloaded from Google play and works in Ireland although you do need to register (for free)

Can an iphone user confirm or deny the same?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It is not on the Freesat EPG but you should still be able to manually tune it in - 11426 V 29500 8/9 . There’s also an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the app on google store but it won't play anything.

I had C4HD set up on non freesat mode but now can't seem to set up any other channels. Does anyone know the channel number...the first is C4 which is 5001 I think.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement

JJ started for Clermont at 10 against Stade Francais on Sunday evening. He kicked some good early penalties but missed a penalty and a conversion at a time when Clermont were getting back into it.

Lopez came on and he shifted out to 12.

Olding seems to be playing at 12 for Brive who are going fairly well for their level narrowly losing to Toulon. I think Quinn Roux might have been in the squad. Coughlan, the ex Munster 8 is their defence coach now.

There are a few other Irish around the teams too between players and coaches.

Tolouse are the runaway leaders at the moment.

Decent coverage on Premier Sports but no co-commentator. The commentator is bilingual and so lets you in on a lot of the interviews and ref talk, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm delighted to have Top14 rugby back on TV here - delighted to sign up for the offer of 10 Euro/month with Sky for Premier Sports and BT.

I watched Toulon v Brive - lucky scrape of a win for Toulon, but the crowd showed their displeasure with the narrow win - never liked the Toulon crowd.

I was rooting for Clermont in their match v Stade, but they were awful. I was shocked how badly Clermont were playing, but hopefully they are just bedding in new things with Gibbs.

Yes, just the one commentator, but he's quite knowledgeable.

I think the Sunday night game has a co-commentator, Johnny ?

You really do get a sense of the pressure of relegation in the Top14. Coaches being given a couple of games publically to turn things around.

I was reading an article the other day on James Coughlan and when he made the move some old colleague said 'You don't buy a house, just rent one!'.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40700432.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'll have to buy all the furniture though

Is Top14 on TV? I thought it was on Premier Sports but it doesn't seem to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's at 8.15 Irish time I think

They aren’t showing it live. Booted off by Premier Sports new contract to show the UEFA Nations League which is being prioritised, along with NASCAR on FreeSports. Right now it doesn’t look like they’re going to cover the QFs either, presumably for the same reason.

Theres recorded coverage of Racing v Toulon and Lyon v La Rochelle on Premier 2 after midnight.

I think the knockouts are on TV5.....with French commentary, so it's just tonight's matches I was really asking about. I used to listen to a radio commentary of day 26.....can't remember the station though, so I'll just have to follow the scoring online.

Yes the knockouts are on TV5MONDE, with French commentary as you say and at least last year there was a slight delay with some games.

Racing v Toulon is on TV5MONDE now for anyone missing Premier’s (lack of) coverage, free to stream with the app, French commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Oof. Surely this is a textbook example of obstruction? The Toulouse player definitely stopped the tackler from reaching Dupont.

Squeaky bum time for La Rochelle. 19-5 down against Lyon. Half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

They made some start to the second half! Up 24-19 now. Anywhere to watch?

Got the French commentary on Sud Radio.....very exciting last day, as always. La Rochelle won 26-29 at Lyon.....two trips to the video ref in the last few minutes with Lyon camped on the La Rochelle line, but they survived. Finished 5th in the table and will now play Toulouse away. Bordeaux lost to Perpignan, so lost out on one of the top two spots in the table....they now play Racing at home. Castres top the table, Montpellier are second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why could there not have been coverage on Freesports as it has shown Top 14 this season?

• Advertisement

Because they were showing Nascar and to be fair if they’d dropped that there’d have been complaints from its fans.

Unfortunately seems coverage of this evenings Top14 QF (Bordeaux v Racing) on TV5MONDE has been preempted for French general election coverage.

Watchable elsewhere with a bit of searching 😉. HT and 10 - 8 to Racing. Dour enough game with some flashes of flair by Jalabert and a good try from Spring.

FT and Bordeaux have murdered Flash 92. Final score was 29 - 16. Jalabert was electric, pure magic.

In fairness to Racing their injuury list was massive, while UBB's was tiny.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The game was apparently shown after 10pm, and I understand with TV5’s mission the election would always come first, but it was a pity that Premier Sports have treated key stages of the competition so badly. Should be normal service resumed next weekend with the football internationals coming to an end in midweek.

Top 14 Fixtures: Friday at 20.00 Castres V Toulouse (Premier Sports 1)

Saturday at 20.00 Montpellier V UBB (Premier Sports 2)

Saturday will be a busy day for rugby fans:

08.00 Super Rugby Playoff Blues V Crues.

15.00 Sarries V Tigers

18.30 Stormers V Bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

ROG was found out?

Maybe not as foregone as you predicted! FT: Castres 24 - 18 Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Negative 89. La Rochelle were beaten! Obviously, Ronan has been found out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Advertisement