Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N+1 - what to buy/change/upgrade?

• 05-06-2022 6:37pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a solid decathlon bike I got for €1200 on the bike to work back a few years back that has served me well: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/btwin-ultra-920-af-review/

I'm eligble for the BTW scheme again and I'm looking at what my upgrade options are. Do I buy something completely new and relegate the BTwin to commuter? Or maybe upgrade a few bits like getting a carbon frame? It doesn't feel like there's a massive amount of value in the market right now and looking at whats on sale it looks like I'd probably need to spend a good 2-3k for any noticeable upgrade.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

If you are happy with your current bike, treat yourself to a new set of upgrade wheels; probably the single most noticeable upgrade you can make.

Add new bartape, saddle, tyres and service parts and it'll feel like new all over again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'd be hard pressed to get a bike better than that on the BTW scheme now, without going considerably over the limit where you no longer get tax benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd agree with the above comment.

If you do really feel like something new, Canyon will give a good idea of prices and availability (assuming you can use them with your B2W).

Ultimate CF 105 rim brake for 1699€, 105 disc for 2199€ would both be options.

Main decision is probably if you want to go disc brakes. If yes then you'd want to avoid ending up with an 11-12kg thing that feels like a garden gate. The Canyon is only slightly over 8kg which is good for a disc braked bike in that price range but still well over B2W prices.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Any wheels in particular you'd recommend? Or hang around the bargain alerts thread and wait for something to pop up? 😁

Yeah I had a look at Canyon etc and there isn't much out there. I could get the Ultimate CF and swap in the Ultegra I suppose. Stock looks like its still terrible - nothing until December. I'm happy to look outside the B2W - it's just nice to have a bit knocked off the price of something.

I haven't had any issues with rim brakes so I'm not sure if disc are worth the extra weigh/cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 stones81

Can the bike to work be used if buying from canyon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

No restrictions from the Revenue side as it's just an accounting/taxation exercise for them. You'll find all the restrictions coming from the employer side, especially those that really don't want to be involved but feel they have to lest the employees revolt - even then many employers simply don't bother, for the sake of a tiny bit of admin.

Advertisement