Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used solar water panel for hot tub pre warming

Options
  • 04-06-2022 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Any know where to get used solar water panels?

Would like to set one up to top up and help pre heat my wood fired hot tub.

Any alternative suggestions welcome too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Can get new ones cheap enough. https://midsummer.ie https://solartricity.ie

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They only sell PV though. I understood OP was looking for Solar Thermal.

@MakersMark Have you looked on adverts? Used Solar Thermal kits show up from time to time. Don't forget you'll need the pump unit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Will do.

Was going to have a small pump circulating water thru it prior to keep it warm over the weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I use an intex solar mat ( well 2 of them) to pre heat- my tub was recently switched over to gas.

The mats hold teh heat for a day or so in good weather but they wont heat it from cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

U see them on DoneDeal the odd time. Not many though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Might be a good trick to get a couple of PV panels and a micro inverter to power one of those little pool immersion heaters

The advantage of PV is when you don't need it for the hot hub you could use it for other things like garden tools or charging batteries

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive tried that as an experiment. Biggest pool immersion heater is only 600 watts @ 48v - heater in hot tub (electric) is 2.2kw and that takes 14 hours to heat the tub to 40c. The immersion one made no difference.The heat loss from the tub of 1-3c a day depending on outside temperature was the same as the 1-3c a day that the immersion heater gave. Fine for a small insulated water tank but useless for 1100 litres.

Advertisement