Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike camera for safety

• 25-05-2022 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just wondering what is a cheap camera for road use to catch these assholes in their cars and vans who run you off the road.2 days in the Trot the same van has sped down the bus lane at 7.30 am and made it his business to nearly clip me in the bike lane.A complete asshole and I'm fed up with these clowns now putting my life in danger,so quick camers footage to the guards to get these Muppets charged or penalty points should help.Either that or it's gona come to dusty cuffs at the traffic lights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Garmin have just launched a Varia radar camera. My Varia is my absolute favourite piece of cycling tech so I thought of immediately clicking order until I watched a few reviews.

V2 of that will probably be great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's hard to say but basically any camera that works will achieve what you want here. Will the Gardai do anything about it, try your station the first time and then traffic watch the second time. Burn it to a DVD if they are awkward. A sound Garda will look at the video on your phone and have a word with the owner of the vehicle, the rest will ignore you or jump through hoops. As tempting as it is, and I've fallen for that temptation, you won't win by going down the road for fisticuffs. Down that way lies a beating or you taking a different route for a long time, neither of which are good news for you. As much as it's against my emotional response, go down the Garda route, have it on film, although just reporting it without video may get the right Garda to have a cautionary word. Bus lane use and dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention gets at least a fine and a few penalty points. Best of luck, presuming you are in Dublin, I recently moved to the country, to the point where my cycling in Dublin is only 20% of my commute and I just never realised how bad it was until I seen how good it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

ive been using a cycliq fly 6 for years, Ive used it on many occasions as proof to get points and a fine, but, Ive also used it to record and told the guards I have the footage, sometimes they may just need the reg, then they ring the driver, give them an opportunity to come clean and admit it, and accet the fine, or, if it's bad enough, risk going to court, and perhaps get done for dangerous driving,

Ring up traffic watch with your date/time/reg, make it official, ask for a pulse number, then they have to follow it up, always, on the phone, or in the station, ask for a pulse number, otherwise it's easily dismissed.

Personally, Ive found 90% of the guards great at handling it, 100% of the traffic corps deal with this every day and they will follow up and get a conviction.

Do not let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What do you mean by cheap?

Some discussion on an Aldi rear camera at; https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057789765/aldi-lidl-specials-megathread#latest

You can get something for €30-€50 on eBay or Aliexpress, maybe €50-€200 for a more established brand like Drift or Apeman, up to close to €1k for a GoPro or a 360-degree camera. I'd recommend starting with something cheap and get used to it, so that you can work out what you like or don't like, before you spend serious money.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Agree 100% - I love my RTL515 and given how good it is when I saw the RCT715 I thought that was the perfect combination - but its pretty pricey and both DC Rainmaker's and GPLlama's reviews have been less than glowing - some of the usability issues may be addressable in firmware/app updates - but others I guess are hardware limitations. As you say, hopefully V2 of this device will address most of the issues raised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement