Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does your rent go up every year?

• 02-06-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I have no doubt my landlord will raise my rent this year. They will do this very year until we leave.

I know boards is pro Landlord, I'm just asking from the other side if you LL is putting the rent up every chance they get.

Does your rent go up every year? 76 votes

Yes
    22% 17 votes
    No
    77% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Any normal landlord will be increasing it yearly within inflation/allowed increases (rent zones) etc.

Not sure it's fair to say boards is pro-landlord - Alot of threads over the years for both sides.

It's a hot topic at the moment alright but I'd say the demand / supply ratio is just way off at the moment to get a fair result on that poll.

BTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of landlords say this forum is pro-tenant. Moderation is pro following the rules, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

wow, what a way to open up a topic, the government is pro landlord as well, right? that's why they are leaving the market in droves. get that chip off your shoulder buddy, as it stands, any results that show up are skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Ha ha first three comments are all about the fact I find boards more pro Landlords and not the subject in question. Triggered much.

I ask this because I remember seeing on the John Oliver show a segment where they discussed people living in mobile homes. They had audio of one of the guys who owned the park talking about putting the price up every year as they could not afford to move or there was no where else to go. So they paid the increased rent and cut back on other things. Like food, medicine etc.

I feel in the same place and wondering if other tenants are getting there rent put up every year.

I'm not here to argue rather that's right or wrong just how other people find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm aware of that. It's called a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Primetime had a couple of single women, one with a kid, who are living beside each other in Sligo in three and four bedroom houses. They were complaining that their rent is going up by 600 this year.

While that is obviously a huge increase, I find it shocking that some renters think they have the right to complain about not being able to afford a houses with two spare bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

A landlord would be a fool not to put up the rent every year and by the maximum allowable. An unintended consequence of poor legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why Would he be a fool? I guess you there’s a fine line between not being a fool. And being a dick

• Advertisement

I find if anyone says anything negative or ask tough questions about LL's on here there quick to respond and get defensive.

I think on average boards poster's are older so some are property owners or landlords.

So there more sympathetic to that side. Versus social media which is a younger demographic, which swings more sympathetic to tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Why would a landlord be considered a dick for putting up the rent?

I'm a tenant. Voted yes in the poll as my rent has gone up each year.

Am I happy to get the increase notice? Obviously not. But I don't consider our landlord a dick for increasing the price.

We knew this when we began the tenancy but the RPZ legislation is shite. I think it came in the year before we moved here. It has baked in annual increases. If a landlord doesn't increase the rent they can never legally catch up with the going rate unless they leave the place empty for two years or perform certain upgrades which they might not be able to afford. As the other person said they'd be a fool not to put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect most people understand that rental properties are investments, the aim of most investments ted is to make profit.

Also, if for instance you take the case highlighted in the media recently in Sligo, it is reasonable to assume that RPZ legislation will be extended countrywide given the difficulties finding rental accommodation, if the owner of those properties does not raise rent to market rate before it is made a RPZ, his/her good intentions are rewarded by having their rental income locked at a level significantly below forever more.

Lastly, considering the minute level of increase being allowed is significantly below inflation, any owner reliant on rental income would be a fool to be losing money by not increasing rent, not to mention the expected double interest hike in mortgage rates that economists are predicting this year due to ECB raising their rates twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I've never raised the rent on a sitting tenant.

My current tenants are paying about 500 less than I was offered when I put it up for rent.

They've been there since 2018 and I'm very happy with them. I wont raise the rent on them either. When they leave, I'll keep the property vacant until my kids need a place if they choose to go to college.

Previous tenant had vanished owing 6 months rent and wrecking the place.

Turns out she was claiming the dole and rent allowance and went to live with her mum rather than pay rent.

Classy system we have.

Not all landlords are money grubbing bastards, despite what the Hard Left Ultras on Boards would have you believe.

Thanks for insulting me for not squeezing every last cent out of my tenants.

Your post says more about you then me.

At current rate of inflation, you are losing money on your investment, voluntarily. You have made a decision to NEVER raise rent on existing tenants despite economic conditions and irrespective of the tenants ability to pay, so, no, my post says more about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Waldo99

There is a difference between making a loss and not maximising return at the expense of a hard pressed tenant.

Half of every extra euro is likely handed back to revenue.

If you voluntarily keep income static whilst inflation goes up significantly, it means that your money is worth less than it was when inflation was lower as it buys you less.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Waldo99

If you are making more than you are spending you are still making a profit.

If someone chooses to make a smaller profit rather than causing misery then I can’t see why you have a problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Strange opening post.

I’ve the same story. Council paying rent for my current tenant and the previous tenant living back across the road with her mum

cashing the councils rent cheque. It took them a while to figure out they were paying twice for the same property

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LJ12345

For a lot of people, having the status quo maintained with good tenants is more valuable than risking bad tenants, unpaid rent, stress, and more months of unpaid rent to refurbish. It’s a risk vs reward calculation and if you’re still treading water with your asset and helping good people to find their feet at the same time, it’s to be commended not shamed.

I'm not greedy.

I have several properties and I have empathy for my tenants.

Calling me a fool for that is highly insulting and I've reported the post.

I am in a good place financially and don't need to maximise profits at the expense of others.

Im also much happier with reliable, long term honest tenants too.

Hey when you figure out what you want to say, I'll answer it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement