Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That looks really bizarre, I love it! A Switch release would be lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It actually looks really good. There's way too many good games stuck on Apple Arcade at the moment that need to come to PC. There's a Frogger game from Q-Games released there today that looks excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Buying and Selling question for those who’ve used Revolut on Adverts. Is there anything scammy I should be aware of?

Can someone do backsies on a “friend” transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Off topic but as someone who's a big fan of the 80s/90s movies like Rocky, Aliens, Terminator 2 etc, I feel a bit left out by not being interested in Marvel, Star Wars or Harry Potter so seeing Top Gun: Maverick was an absolute treat. I need to play some Ace Combat 7 with Danger Zone in the background! Even better in The Lighthouse because their audio is turned up to 11.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Master of the Universe

Could have written this myself tbh. Love 80s and 90s action films but all the superhero stuff is totally lost on me.

Have heard great things about Maverick, will have to see it in the cinema while it's still there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Another one here who isn't drawn to any Marvel stuff, and add in Harry Potter there too. Star Wars though, I've a big love for. It's mad seeing so much of it out now (too much tbh), I remember it as a simple trilogy of films!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Maverick is just pure, unadulterated fun. It felt like I was in a blockbuster film from 20 years ago. I walked out of the cinema very happy and felt like I'd fallen in love again with going to the big screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I appear to be in the minority because I absolutely love the whole Star Wars/Trek and Marvel/DC scene.

Nevertheless, the latest US Navy Aviator recruitment film starring Tom "He never phones it in, always gives 100%" Cruise is definitely on my list of things to watch this weekend.

Just have to shortcut the Top Gun soundtrack on the phone for the very fast drive home!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems Sega are doing a second Mega Drive Mini, this time based on the MD2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was never going to be a Saturn or Dreamcast. Strange they went with the Megadrive again, would have imagined it would be a master system this time.

The listed games though are kind of amazing. Some really good stuff there including outrageously expensive games like Mansion and Popful Mail (which is excellent).

• Advertisement

Would've liked to see them put some 32x games on it seeing as they're adding Mega CD ones. Would take Virtua Racing Deluxe every day over the MD version.

Seems they're doing another Mini tower for the MD2 with a Virtua Racing cart, Sonic CD disc, a Mega CD 2 and the adaptors to connect a 32x and MCD1(both in the original Tower Mini).

The announcement video is up on YouTube now as well and it's something...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The MD2 Mini looks like a sure order from me.

Hopefully I might catch it on Amazon.co.jp though I'll guess these will be snapped up in jig time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Was looking at it yesterday on Amazon JP, should be the link below. "Tower of Power" version was unavailable, but normal model was up for preorder.

Not sure I'd bother TBH, very little love for the MD2 on my side. Besides, I think there was a Famitsu interview stating a possible worldwide release, just no time frame and probably nowhere near the level of the first.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0B2RZGXC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Looks like it's just a reseller now, around 180 euro including delivery excluding tax makes it a. O for me, surprised they sold so quickly, unless they're not on full presale yet

M2 say they haven't gotten 32X emulation up to snuff and it would have required a new chipset to run. The 32x is based on a dual processor, same as the Saturn and has to interface with the megadrive so imagine emulating it to m2's high standards will take a while although it sounds like they are working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's an area of software emulation that's disappointingly neglected (the 32X). It's functional, but nowhere near the cycle accurate standard of the likes of Megadrive emulation. Hopefully this will spur on some interest in bringing it up to modern standards.

Interestingly, a 32X Mister core dropped recently, from the same author of the upcoming Saturn core (I wonder if he took on the 32X as a testbed for Saturn hardware emulation?).

M2 said they would tackle Saturn if they got 32X working so must be some similarity with the dual SH2 chip design. The Saturn though is a little more complex with the two vdu units and how they layer the visuals they produce over each other but maybe that's similar to the 32X overlaying onto the megadrive visuals.

Prior to the recent Virtua Racing title on the Switch, the 32X version is the best way to play it at home, on a console.

Be nice to see that version available again, without the need for the extra hardware

Looks like Limited run games are releasing Rendering Ranger. Very interesting game but have to say not a good one and I think it trades on it's insane rarity and price because I never found it fun. It's like everything wrong with Euro shooters in the opposite way that the Turrican games were everything great about euro shooters.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's really not fun to play at all. More of a tech demo for the Snes than anything else. The transition from side scrolling to horizontal shmup at the end of level 2/start of level 3 with the rotating ship take off is really impressive.

Stage 7 is also worth a look at, does a mass rocket firing section at the start (someone must have played Eliminate Down!) and then crazy fast scrolling through cityscapes with really nice (albeit, a little nauseating) parallax scrolling of background layers to give the sense of you flying really close to skyscrapers.

But yeah it's a real shame it doesn't play well. I've only ever really 'experienced' it via youtube videos as I wasn't really willing to put the effort in to play very far into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dav09

Has anyone seen this new release yet? It's like Star Wars meets R360, takes inspiration/ the best parts from some old games by the looks of it, never heard of this company before but it looks super cool, but probably going to be stupidly expensive.

Limited Run games are releasing Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. I found out about this game when PC Gamer rated the worst game of all time. The producer of the rerelease however has said he will be including a tonne of additional content and bonuses that will make the game worth owning....

They're also releasing a double pack of LJNs Bill & Ted games. Absolute pish.

I suppose everything has historical significance...

Does it include the Gameboy game which I heard is a good euro single screen platformer along the lines of Chuckie egg.

Master of the Universe

Kind of regretting getting rid of my 3DO now...

It includes the NES game and the Gameboy one for $40.

Not so bad then, seen the gameboy game in a lot of hidden gem articles.

Master of the Universe

Spent last night alphabetising my PS1 games. Thought it would be therapeutic but it ended up being really stressful! hah.

I've two long rows of games, one on top of the other. 80 games in each row. Thought it would be handy to just reshuffle them all so that A through to J is on the top row, K to Z on the bottom row.

All went fine on the top row, then moved on to the bottom 'oh ****...'

The moment you take a game out on the bottom row, the top row's game falls down. (which you'd think would have been a logical thing to conclude from the beginning!)

Resulted in me trying to take random games out of the bottom row to put them in order while simultaneously trying to prevent the top row falling down / off the shelves completely and smashing their cases.

Got there in the end but jesus, won't be doing that again!

Ideally I need to come up with a solution to add an extra row of shelving so games aren't stacked on top of each other.

Funny little collections starting to appear though, I didn't actually realise there were so many Formula 1 games for the ps1, let alone that I had so many of them.

Formula 1

Formula 97

Formula 1 98 (Two copies)

Formula 1 99

Formula 1 2000

Not that I'm mad into the series (Don't think I've really played anything other than 97) but am now compelled to hunt down 'Arcade' and '2001' to complete the set!

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Advertisement

The first two were a revelation.

Around the same time, the N64 got an excellent F1 World Grand Prix, though the frame rate was... let us call it both low and inconsistent!

Looked great though

The sequel was even better!

Advertisement