Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronan Collins Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I thought the same.. Lillian would not be perfect in that slot 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Moving Hearts in the Olympia in March! I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Think you was sent orf there with your ar$e in a satchel Benj....just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

I always enjoy Ronans hour of music. He comes across as a decent person. He plays a nice mix of music, Cry before dawn played today👌. Has a great knowledge of music. He doesn't need a co presenter to roll around laughing at his jokes, he doesn't try to get people to text in about some stupid subject like what you found down the back of the couch or inflict celebrity gossip on us. He'll be missed when he hangs up his mic!

Why does Ronan's "retirement" / "hanging up the mic" always come up on boards and in media articles ??? - Ronan is not yet retiring and has been clear about this on-air and in interviews !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why does anyone retire , what do we do?

Keep going with the same people till they ‘drop at the desk’ ?

We do need to keep things fresh, moving on, giving young people a chance.

Nothing against Ronan personally, but the show has been the same patter, same stuff, same content week after after week.

No harm in that surely?

there are enough young presenters on RTE Radio, they are being given a chance

Oh….. news to me.

who has a fixed contract for a show between the core hours 0700- 2300…..

Nothing personal but surely there comes a time to move on.

Oh lucky day, a double dose of Shay!

Will they go for the hat trick and ask him to stand in for creedon tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Is that true, do you get a cheque from the Government when you reach 100 years old?

:)

• Advertisement

Smug Shay is doing Overtime as it is. His normal day finished at 7 am..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ronan did sound like he had a dose yesterday alright, must have been working from home or he'll have montrosia riddled!

Ronan has always worked from the RTE studio during Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Where is Ronan? Although I am loving shay, he plays a great upbeat selection for this hour of the day...how long have we got him for?

A long time hopefully, at least a bit of life in the show rather than the repetitive ‘patter’.

Breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Inclined to agree, every dog has his day and Ronan's day has passed. Give someone else the gig. This chap not so bad, better than some fella called Neil who appears at weekends and can't seem to say a sentence without a little laugh. OK in small doses but does your head in after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Agreed. Plenty of them on 2FM. All with generic south Dublin accents that you can barely tell apart from each other. Radio 1 has been dumbed down enough already, it doesn’t need any more of that.

According to Lillian this morning, the weekend Late Date will be presented by Grainne Brookfield who was reading the news earlier. Whatever the reasons for all the chopping and changing of late, seems they are blooding a few new voices anyway.

A quick search reveals Grainne was the singer of John Waters' widely panned Eurovision effort a few years back. Hopefully we won't get that on the playlist anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I hope the poster from the Tubridy thread wasn't listening to Shay's advice about the cold weather. It could be the end for their phone.

"I listened back very very briefly to his riffin segment this morning...he started talking about how dreadful the weather was in D4....hailstones....advised people to just stay in..."the garden will take care of itself"......

500k a year ......

I very nearly fùcked my phone against the wall....."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He'll be offered a contract after his retirement, if they want to hold onto his figures. The obvious shoe in's for the slot, John Kelly is no spring chicken either while regular stand in, Fiachna, isn't that far off 60 himself. Strong candidates for the show long term aren't obvious.

• Advertisement

Neil Doherty, perhaps?

I read somewhere that he said he was quitting after retirement to write books and stuff.

What was that song about RTE “You can check out any time you want but you can never leave”

Hotel Montirosia I think it was.

KISS!

:D

‘Walk Like A Panther’ by The All Seeing I and Tony Christie!

Fantastic record :)

Dennis Waterman!

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Shay Byrne in for Ronan for another full week, despite saying on Friday he was back on Rising Time. Hopefully Ronan is ok.

Shay Byrne doing a great job sitting in for Ronan.

Where is Ronan anyhoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Back some time in June, according to a vague RTÉ statement issued on Tuesday. Philby by Rory Gallagher, nice one Shay!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Heard Lillian say this morning that she’s on all next week ‘Rising Time’ so I’d imagine it’s another week of Shay filling in for Ronan, Have to say I’m enjoying Shay on the show just hope Ronan is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I must say I love the music programmes on radio 1 (amidst the news and talk) like Ronan, John Creedon, and Fiachna (late date in general), you can tell they love their music - and a different mix than the banal "current" formulaic music on other channels

Advertisement