Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best taxi app?

• 19-10-2021 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Free Now is definitely the most well know app, but it’s also the one I’ve heard the most complaints about. What taxi apps (e.g. Uber, Bolt, etc) would you recommend for getting around rural Ireland?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Freenow is still the best. However, the reason for some of the complaints was that it used to be much better in previous incarnations. Hailo was brilliant, but when they became MyTaxi, the GPS was not very reliable. As Freenow, there still seem to be some intermittent issues with the GPS, but they also have the cheek to charge you €2 per ride.

One of the complaints over the past number of months will disappear soon I hope and that was that there were too few taxis available (or cancelling on you) at night as the government stupidly ordered everyone to go home at 11.00, so there was a mad rush for taxis all at the same time.

For rural Ireland, I'm not sure what options there are. Lynk is only Dublin. Not sure about Uber and wouldn't be surprised if Dublin-only as well as it enver really took off in Ireland (never use it). TBH, uber is only really popular in cities where taxis are ridiculously expensive (Uber's selling point of private cars as opposed to unionised taxis doesn't apply in Ireland as they are not allowed operate private cars and NTA regulate the taxi prices . Free now operates in all cities and selected regional towns (but don't know if a list is published anywhere). To be fair, in rural locations, there just isn't the demand and most people just know the "local driver(s)" who work(s) cash-in-hand.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

HI @eduncan I have found your post in a very quiet part of the site and moved it here to a more suitable forum. Sorry about the delay.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well Uber has loads of great promotions at the moment. I’ve been getting 50% off (up to €10) every taxi ride for roughly the past two months or so! Which has been very welcome.

I also feel the quality of vehicle is better on average then with FreeNow.

Of course there are more taxis on FreeNow I think. So if you are in a rush that might be a better option. But I always try Uber first and have never had to wait more then 5 minutes (though I admit not at pub closing time).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The best taxi app is the one that gets you a taxi when you need it, but don't forget the simplest taxi app of all using the hand🖐️ to hail a taxi if you're on a busy enough throughfare

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The problem with hailing a taxi on the road, is that most people these days want to use their credit/debit card. Yes, taxi drivers are supposed to take cards these days, but so many are messing around and refusing credit cards or saying the machine isn’t working, etc.

As result people use the apps even when they could wave down a taxi.

Which of course is a massive own goal for drivers, they end up paying 15% on FreeNow versus less then 2% on SumUp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You may find this unuusal, but I agree 1000% with your post bk! Cards are a pre-requiiste at this stage.

Also, I only realised about the preset 20% tip on it recently - 10% I'd agree with but 20% is taking the proverbial.

You have to reset it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I thought I had the tip set to 10% on FreeNow and was alarmed to see your comment that it flips back to 20% every time. So I opened my profile but cannot see the tip level anywhere. According to the FAQ on their website.....

Can I set a Default Tip?

Absolutely! Visit the Wallet section via your FREE NOW app Profile, and you can set a default tip of 10%, 15%, or 20%.

But in the wallet section of my profile, all I can see are a credit card and a debit card and there is no sign of a tips setting. The only option within each card is to remove it or change the 'designation' between personal and business. I'm sure I checked this in the past and it was set to 10% in the app, now I can't find the setting anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't have this "20% default tip" issue - the tip is set to whatever I set it to last time.

If I touch "skip" on the booking screen, it shows me the payment card and what the tip is set to.

I'm on Android (not sure if that makes a difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Thanks for that - I’ve managed to change it now and hopefully it’ll stay where I want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Been using Uber in Dublin more often now, as their drivers never cancel. At least the the Uber Black ones while a bit more expensive, always show up. During the busy times when everyone is looking for a taxi or trying to get a Freenow(drivers turn off the app), their always seems to be an available Uber. Don't mind paying the extra few quid knowing I'll get home within a reasonable time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Agree, if I am pre-booking a taxi to the airport I will order from Lynk. I've been burned one too many times by cancelled taxis to the airport in the dead of night with Freenow and I'm not willing for the cost to be at the expense of catching my flight.

For down the country, I don't think it's a good idea to use an app. Book in advance with a local taxi firm if you don't want to wait an hour or more for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I'm booking a taxi to the airport for Sunday morning (middle of the night). I rarely get taxis anymore, so unsure which app is the most reliable. Freenow seems to want payment up front using Google Pay, however we prefer to pay cash.

Any suggestions? We are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

VIP Taxis take cash fares bookings, both online and old skool over the phone. They are reliable, or certainly they were whenever I dealt with them in the past. You can try NRC as well, they have a large fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

im looking to pre-book a taxi from a hotel in Swords to the airport on Saturday morning at 7am.

What would be the best taxi app for this?

Or would ye recommend any particular taxi company?

Book it through the hotel instead maybe? It’s been a long time since I got a taxi anywhere :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Hotel might have a free shuttle bus either

Advertisement