Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla pricing

• 24-05-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere in the massive Tesla thread but I couldn’t see anything on a quick search.

Does anyone know what’s up with Tesla pricing on their website, e.g. see image below.

Is the purchase price €68725 or €62990? It looks like they’ve essentially added the €4741 VRT on top of the headline price, which appears to be an odd way of doing things - I realise cars above €60k lose the €5k SEAI grant but I don’t see other manufacturers, e.g. BMW or Polestar doing this on their websites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sorry I was too busy deciphering the price after estimated savings shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What a **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

€68725

What's the tyre recycling fee about?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭sh81722

Good thing is that there are no secrets handshakes needed, no negotiation skills, and no dealer markups. Once you add the car in your "basket" with payment type cash, the price you see is the price you pay. And it's locked at the time of ordering regardless of the price changes after that day.

But the headline price is definitely misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭eagerv

I find it very simple once you ignore the 'Savings' etc. Clearly shows the VAT, VRT and grant if applicable once you click the 'cash' option at the bottom.

Even allows you to compare the price of your configured car in other countries that the car is sold. (Depresses me a little..🙂)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW quoted me the same for an i4.

Its like the WEE few when buying an electrical appliance.

I think the website is easier to use in mobile. The price is very apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

They should ditch the est savings bit. It’s totally subjective and not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Considering you could be coming from another EV or even a first car there may be no savings. Tesla are not allowed do this in some other countries. They should ban this along with any "self charging" claims from other brands

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Crazy in 3 months tesla M3 price increased €3k

Unfortunately it's the way most/all manafacturers have gone over the last few months.

At least Tesla honour the prices quoted up to mid march for anyone who has ordered before then.

Same increase on every EV out there unfortunately.

Lucky that those who ordered are locked in at the old pricing. Other brands pass on the increases or cancel the order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, and in fairness to Tesla it was not profiteering nor an attempt to dampen demand, it was Nickle and Cobalt RM dramatic cost increases.

Although the M3 has increased in price over the last year+ it's also important to look at the new features introduced over that time period. An early 2021 M3 is not comparable to the features/build of a 2022 M3

• Registered Users Posts: 64,545 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There is no nickle or cobalt in the Model 3 MIC batteries, so that can not be the excuse for raising the price by €3k 😁

The real reason is "because they can". The way of the world, our capitalism system, companies need to maximise profit as their primary goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They do have a higher margin on their cars than there competitors. Something like 30%

Agreed on MIC batteries, but Tesla do not seem to differentiate and just blanket all cars with a blended price increase, probably a much simpler way of looking at things from their perspective, NCA battery is 95% Nickel/Cobalt which they are now phasing out in the US. Next year LFP could be in the past if Tesla move to manganese, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 32 unabashed_goldfish

Think it's only the RWD variants which have LFP batteries. The other variants made in China will have the usual nickel, cobalt chemistry.

• Advertisement

It's the base spec Model 3 that just went up in price by €3000 (6%)

No nickel or cobalt in LiFePo4 (lithium iron phosphate)

Big fan of LiFePo4 batteries myself, I think all EVs should get them from now on. Apart from not having the above dodgy elements, it's the only completely safe chemistry, can't go on fire, can't explode. I wish I had them in my cars. I do have them everywhere else though, my general purpose 12V battery in my workshop, my 48V powerwall and I have just ordered a whole load of 32700 cells from China for messing around with and to build myself a new eBike battery that I can safely charge and store indoors (unlike the potentially dangerous lithium-ion 18650 cells that are in everything these days from flash lights, tooth brushes, power tools, scooters, cameras, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The LFP battery was $3k cheaper apparently. Tesla did offer US & €uropean customers (not Irish customers though) a €2/3k discount initially, on the cheaper batteries. There must be thousands in savings producing in China & combined with the battery savings & price increases, Tesla must be really pushing up the profitability.

But I agree, their website pricing info. is ridiculous. Reducing the headline price by €9,000, based on some notional petrol/diesel savings is nuts these days........it should be €20k 😀.

Agree with that, however they only really work well in efficient cars for the moment, not sure if the Model 3 could physically manage much more than its present 60kWh capacity. Pity they never managed to get about a 30-35kWh LFP into a classic Ioniq with a low price, would have suited a lot of people.

Our electric bike is probably over 12 years old now, also LFP. I cannot detect any range loss since we got it about 6 years ago. And we heard the previous elderly owner (a relative) left it plugged in for over a year without using it.😁

Well that's of course the biggest beauty of LiFePo4 - the enormous number of cycles it can do in its life! And yes, LiFePo4 can be left on a trickle charger no problem, just like good old (not) lead acid 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭sh81722

Tesla Model 3 is a true cash cow for Tesla. The build cost reportedly has continued to go down due to better build process, batteries are cheaper, yet price of the base model is much higher than the initial $35k.

Tesla will be able to lower the price as market dictates going forward. At the moment they would be daft to do so as there is almost a 1 year lead time for base model 3 in Ireland. The same can be said about all the cars.

In current time we are waiting for one of the Chinese makes to makes a break and flood the European market with properly affordable EVs. But that won't happen in the foreseeable future as there are shortages on battery cell manufacturing (and some other parts like Silicon Chips).

Don't raise the $35k rabbit hole, that was a verbal comment from Elon never available on the Tesla website but available if requested in store.

The price of the M3 has indeed been raised since launch but it's a vastly different car and I don't believe costs have dropped as indicated, there's a new manufacturing plant to be costed in for example!

Extras since launch from memory assuming endgame is MIC RWD M3 for Europe, (please add)

New battery pack

Larger battery pack

New motor

Heatpump - extra cost

Heated seats front and back - extra cost

Heated Steering Wheel - extra cost

Heated Wipers - extra cost

Laminated Front Glass - extra cost

Powered Boot - extra cost

Superior build quality (cost of Shanghai to be apportioned) - extra cost

New GPU chips -extra cost

Improved radars

Lithium 12v instead of Lead Acid - extra cost

Outside speaker - extra cost

More airbags - extra cost

Additional camera(s) - extra cost

Wireless phone chargers - extra cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Whats with the estimate fuel savings of 8k over 5 years ?

surely thats more like 15k-20k

Compared to what? You could already have an EV or no car at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Diesel car 27000 kms a year

• Advertisement

Is that what they base their estimate on? Or is that what you drive

Advertisement