Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BE driving test

• 30-05-2022 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Anyone done the BE licence recently?

Did one lesson last week -70 euro so pricey enough. Feedback from him was staying out over white line on narrow roads to avoid clipping kerb with trailer wheel and drive it in 3rd up to 50km around our small town.

Anyone done it recently or any tips?

Not too experienced but we have a SWB Landcruiser and a good horse box so was planning on using these for test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Did it in January, used the instructor trailer and jeep and I did 3 lessons and included the hire of the jeep and trailer for the test. Gave €200 for it but is necessity for the farm. Again it's a business expense, and once done it's a bit of piece mind regarding insurance. Having a claim, while not being fully insured would be a massive headache. The instructors trailer was a lovely small sized box trailer.

The lessons are handy to knock off all the bad habits, and are needed. I also spent a bit of time doing the test routes and putting what he had said into practice.

Bite the bullet, take the few lessons, spend a bit of time putting his/her areas into action and you should be fine. It's just one of the things that needs to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TBH I wouldn't be impressed with your instructer telling you to stay over the white line on narrow roads whilst drawing a car/jeep trailer. If you had a accident with a oncoming vehicle and they had an eye witness/dascam footage of you driving over the white line then your in trouble. If the narrow road that your driving on has a white line up the middle of it - it's not a narrow road and you should be well capable of keeping your vehicle and trailer on the left hand side of the continous white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Do ya have to do a theory test if you already have the B licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

I did the trailer licence a few years ago. A good instructor will know the testers favourite places/corners that he will get you to reverse around and I practiced reversing around them alot plus a few other random corners too. But you have to drive like you are doing the B license test. Some older drivers may need a few lessons just to correct bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Don't think so. I went and got the learner when I had sat the theory maybe 13 years previous. Key words in link below are "if theory test cert not previously submitted", which if you have B licence in most cases means it was submitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It's over 20 years since I did the test and there was no theory test then apart from the guy giving the test asking a few questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

I’m planning on doing mine over the summer. I’ve a small matter of a Bus test to get out of the way first. Once that’s done the plan is to book a BE test. If you never sat a theory test before (which was me) then you will need to do one in order to get your Learner Permit. Bit of a PITA to have to do that just for a BE, but such is life.

Since I’m just finished my Bus lessons, I’m well in tune with the good driving practices required. I also have good experience pulling and reversing trailers, but I’ll still get a couple of lessons. (I don’t think the driving school will hire out the jeep and trailer without a couple of lessons anyway.) The thing I want to practice is reversing. I have no problem reversing a trailer but my routine (bad habit) is to put my left arm behind the passenger seat and turn my head over my shoulder to look back. Don’t think I’ll get away with that manoeuvre in the test.🤔😆

As for using your own rig, the regulations for the trailer, the load, how it is secured and the towing vehicle are very specific so, if you do use your own rig, make sure you have everything 100% kosher. I don’t have a box trailer so, for me it will be easier to just go with the driving school rig.

My last bit of advice is to get a Public Services Card and set up a my Gov ID. It makes everything to do with the RSA & NDLS so much more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes. You need to do the theory test. I have my license like yourself over 20 years when there was no theory. So when you go for the BE you need to sit the theory test first, then apply and wait for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Lads keen to do the test this year;

I would definetly need lessons 12 years since I passed my test so would have some bad habbits.

Can anyone reccomend a suitable instructor in Cork area.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

Likewise, if anyone knows anybody in the Clare area, feel free to post them👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Yip if never done before.

I done my car test about 25 years ago and had to do the theory test first when I went for the BE 5 odd years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

Cork is a big place. ODonoghue HGV driving school is in north cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭irishguy19772

Only one doing in Clare. Sean o keefe pricey enough though 80 euro

Know your rules and signs inside out. Did test in ennis and was nearly 45 mind long. Lots of practice and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

Thanks a mill, il check him out 👍

Advertisement