Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

NUI graduates have excelled themselves again :rolleyes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/seanad-elections-michael-mcdowell-re-elected-after-r%C3%B3n%C3%A1n-mullen-tops-nui-poll-1.4217616
    Mr Mullen, a long-time anti-abortion campaigner, is the first NUI Senator in recent memory to win a seat on the first count.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is at times like this that i am especially grateful I chose Trinity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

NUI graduates have excelled themselves again :rolleyes:
    Great we are a diverse society
    The remit of democracy might well be diversified by electing the pompous, the fatuous and the intolerant but I'm not sure it's improved by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can vote for both the NUI and Trinity panels. At least according to the literature and ballots I was getting through the door. I only voted against the Mullins. I presume I ‘should’ only vote for one, but the question has only occurred to me now. Would it have been legal to vote in both? Morally, I’d be a bit iffy, but legally? Have I two votes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

endacl wrote: »
    I can vote for both the NUI and Trinity panels. At least according to the literature and ballots I was getting through the door. I only voted against the Mullins. I presume I ‘should’ only vote for one, but the question has only occurred to me now. Would it have been legal to vote in both? Morally, I’d be a bit iffy, but legally? Have I two votes?
    Yes, you do, if you're a graduate of both universities, you brainy chap, you! And if you were also a county councillor you would have several more votes - one in each of the various vocational panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

robindch wrote: »
    The remit of democracy might well be diversified by electing the pompous, the fatuous and the intolerant but I'm not sure it's improved by doing so.

Suppose you could be right, I often find the people who profess to be the most tolerant are anything but.

Suppose you could be right, I often find the people who profess to be the most tolerant are anything but.
    You'll have to point out who's lecturing people on how tolerant they are - since I can't immediately think of too many people. Or at least, ones who should be taken seriously anyway.

But your general point is correct - people who lecture the world on the excellence of their own qualities usually lack those same qualities most abundantly - the prerogative of the malignant narcissist. One needs to listen no further than the RCC talking about "love", or the current occupant of the White House talking about just about anything.

perhaps you should familiarise yourself with this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

The point isn't that this goon got elected. It's that he topped the poll while being in all probability highly unrepresentative of the views of NUI graduates as a whole. So the majority don't bother their hole voting, leaving the field open for the ex-Maynooth priests to swing the vote... There was a campaign to get NUI graduates to register and vote, it didn't work. Fúck 'em. Trinity have always elected high quality candidates, the NUI panel has always had its share of toothless FF types...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The point isn't that this goon got elected. It's that he topped the poll while being in all probability highly unrepresentative of the views of NUI graduates as a whole. So the majority don't bother their hole voting, leaving the field open for the ex-Maynooth priests to swing the vote... There was a campaign to get NUI graduates to register and vote, it didn't work. Fúck 'em. Trinity have always elected high quality candidates, the NUI panel has always had its share of toothless FF types...

I never got my ballot paper. :mad:
    Shed load of vote for me bumf arrived so I am definitely on the register.

That's pretty bad. It's a registered letter. I suppose that €5k I sent for your birthday never arrived either! ;)

Life ain't always empty.

Out of the blue, Bishop Quinn suddenly disagrees with somebody getting a job because of their sex:

https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/1301086344920403969

Out of the blue, Bishop Quinn suddenly disagrees with somebody getting a job because of their sex:

https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/1301086344920403969

Not in a least bit out of character for him

Of course it's been pointed out that the RCC is a firm believer in gender quotas... wouldn't be like not-so-super-Quinn to be an aul' hypocrite, now, would it?

Life ain't always empty.

In reports which should surprise nobody, it seems that cash from hardline conservative international billionaires has been funnelled, via Russian and Azerbaijan, to a range of hardline "catholic" and/or anti-lgbt/trans campaigning organizations, including the "Iona Institute".

The twitter link contains links to a number of reports, including 'Chivalry Summer Camps' in Ireland (which I don't recall appearing here before) and which are advertized as being for 'boys between 12 and 18'.

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1409564791019028485
    https://www.epfweb.org/sites/default/files/2021-01/EPF%20TFP_EN_Oct30_0.pdf

557095.jpg

https://www.isfcc.org/summer-camps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Christy42

In reports which should surprise nobody, it seems that cash from hardline conservative international billionaires has been funnelled, via Russian and Azerbaijan, to a range of hardline "catholic" and/or anti-lgbt/trans campaigning organizations, including the "Iona Institute".

The twitter link contains links to a number of reports, including 'Chivalry Summer Camps' in Ireland (which I don't recall appearing here before) and which are advertized as being for 'boys between 12 and 18'.

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1409564791019028485
    https://www.epfweb.org/sites/default/files/2021-01/EPF%20TFP_EN_Oct30_0.pdf

557095.jpg

https://www.isfcc.org/summer-camps

Can you imagine the disappointment that would be going to a chivalry camp and not getting to go jousting.

Weren't they questionable about their funding during referendums as well?

I feel that as long as they're spending the money on "chivalry summer camps", our liberties are probably fairly safe.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I feel that as long as they're spending the money on "chivalry summer camps", our liberties are probably fairly safe.

they spent their money campaigning against every referendum in recent memory, spreading any number of lies in the process. I'm not sure I share your blasé attitude towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What language was that in the video???? Is that in Poland? Was that a Dublin GAA chequered flag flown or some medieval yoke?

• Advertisement

What language was that in the video???? Is that in Poland? Was that a Dublin GAA chequered flag flown or some medieval yoke?
    Oh God, I didn't watch the video. Life is too short, and, besides, I have to sort out the sock drawer or wash my shoelaces or something.

According to the linked website, the summer camp was held at Glencomeragh House, which is between Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel. What you took for Polish was probably the speech of some mountainy men who wandered down from the Nire Valley.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Can you imagine the disappointment that would be going to a chivalry camp and not getting to go jousting.
    Is that what it's called these days?

Subtexts abound where young boys "between 12 and 18" are required to dress up in what appear, er, to be dresses and pull on another man's rope.

Subtexts abound where young boys "between 12 and 18" are required to dress up in what appear, er, to be dresses and pull on another man's rope.

Some people have higher minds and such base thoughts would never occur to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Link issues - my response can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9wdYy3tCm4

Peregrinus wrote: »

They blew a cool half million of dodgy Russian cash on the abortion referendum.

SIPO really need to initiate prosecutions over this, it is an entirely illegal attempt to subvert our democracy.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So, Dave is trending on Twitter due to his recent column and now it's gone international. Does anyone here read the ST?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Considering dave is a huge proponent of free speech (really freedom of consequence) he has restricted who can comment on his tweet about this. The neverending double standards from this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look, at least he's finally come out and admitted it.

I love how precisely he picked his language too so as to appear less racist, but inadvertently managed to be explicitly racist. "European Christians".

Because if he had said just "Christians", then he might accidentally include the millions of African and Asian asylum seekers who are also Christian. If he had said just "Europeans", then that's a bit fluffy and he might accidentally have to include those weird Muslim countries like Turkey or Kazakhstan.

No, "European Christians". Foolproof. No way you can be accused of racism then. Civilised, white people who believe in Jesus. You know, the "right" kind of people.

Suddenly being called a homophobe seems like the least of Dave's problems.

He may as well have just come out and said "white". Not fooling anyone but I'm sure his intended audience will lap it up.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Advertisement