Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norwegian Air Discussion

1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Rawr

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Has anyone flown with these before or flown on the Dublin to Hamilton route recently?
    Just wanna know how bad its gonna be do I can mentally prepare for the torture

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_Review-d10661145-Reviews-Evelop

The TripAdvisor reviews paint an interesting picture of them alas. Lowering your expectations may be wise in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I haven't personally flown it but from what I've heard it's hit and miss.

- Standard 2-4-2 configuration on the A330, quite comfortable.
    - Limited entertainment options, some of which is dated.
    - Possibility of no personal screens depending on aircraft.
    - No wifi available.
    - Average crew, mainly Spanish with representatives from Norwegian on board.
    - Don't expect any information from the flight deck. 

I don't think it can be considered bad by any means, some aspects are a step above Norwegian and others could be considered a downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Has anyone flown with these before or flown on the Dublin to Hamilton route recently?
    I haven't personally flown it but from what I've heard it's hit and miss.

- Standard 2-4-2 configuration on the A330, quite comfortable.
    - Limited entertainment options, some of which is dated.
    - Possibility of no personal screens depending on aircraft.
    - No wifi available.
    - Average crew, mainly Spanish with representatives from Norwegian on board.
    - Don't expect any information from the flight deck. 

I don't think it can be considered bad by any means, some aspects are a step above Norwegian and others could be considered a downgrade.

On Flight Radar, that route is being flown on a Norwegian 737 800 (not the Max 8). Specifically this one.

So it is a single-aisle plane in the 3-3 configuration. You will get no meal, and there will be no in-flight entertainment at all. Bring a tablet. Your hold baggage limit is 10KG on light fare. At Dublin airport, they will probably weigh your bags at check-in, and for US flights you have to check at the desk, not sure on Canada.

The crew are nice, you can't select a window seat at check in without paying a lot. But at the desk they are often pretty good if the flight isn't full. Happy to move you around. They've let me away with 14kg-15kg before which is pretty good. And often turn a blind eye to an additional bag if it's small or if you give them plausible deniablity over whether or not they have seen it.

The planes are modern. The seats are a pretty slim factor. I find them mostly comfortable at 6'2. They won't be turning down the cabin lights at all as it is a daytime flight and you won't get a little kit with a blanket / eye mask etc. The 737 800 is not the Max, and therefore if the wind isn't favourable you might not make Hamilton without an extra stop. But it looks like most flights are making it in one RN.

I like Norwegian tbh. Ryanair Rules, but not quite the kind the same level of strict adherence to those rules that makes Ryanair sometimes unpleasant. They don't frantically try to upsell stuff either. Bring a tablet, bring a sandwich, bring a bottle of water. Bemoan the now bottom of the barrel experience that flying has become, but enjoy a dirt cheap transatlantic return. And maybe make sure you travel insurance is covered for Airline Insolvency.

I wasn't aware (or forgotten) they'd secured a 737-800 for Hamilton, that's good news! Thanks errlloyd for the more accurate information! 

I wonder how this route is genuinely performing, they were singing its praises very early on which is always a warning sign in my opinion. It's currently just 3 weekly and still expected to end in early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I posted two pages back and I live in Hamilton:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109885666&postcount=1739

With respect to the point above regarding stopping, yes, a few flights have dipped into Goose Bay for a refuel after the Atlantic leg. I think it adds about 45 mins to an hour to the flight time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

In defense of the "lowering your expectations" in reagrd to Evelop. I have to say getting them to operate some routes is better for the customers than just cancelling. Look at it like a bus. If you are self sufficient you will be fine. (neck pillow, hoodie, headphones, tablet, music, snacks, water and book)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ironclaw wrote: »

With respect to the point above regarding stopping, yes, a few flights have dipped into Goose Bay for a refuel after the Atlantic leg. I think it adds about 45 mins to an hour to the flight time.

I wouldn’t overplay the refuelling stop - it only appears to have happened twice since the route started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

ironclaw wrote: »

I was more referring to flying with Evlop since my flight has been moved and it seems it will be with them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I was more referring to flying with Evlop since my flight has been moved and it seems it will be with them

As posted before the Hamilton flights are being operated by Norwegian using Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

Evelop is flying the Stewart/Providence routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see Norwegian are back, are they stable to book with ? you think they could go bust in the next year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

All airlines could go bust at any time. You pays your money, you takes your chance....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I was a little surprised to read the news but it’s great to have them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The_Dave

Would you not get refunded if you paid through a credit card, as these payments are insured?

Which one are we talking about? Norwegian restructured and refocused as a short haul carrier again. It never actually went away but has abandoned its long haul and pan European ambitions. The short haul business should be stable enough, they’ve wisely chosen to stick with what they know and I see no problem booking with them on these routes.

Norse Atlantic has emerged from the ashes of Norwegian’s failed long haul business but with the same people behind it with the same aircraft and business model. It will fly transatlantic from Olso but this time to secondary US airports such as Fort Lauderdale, Newburgh and Ontario, Los Angeles. It also intends to fly from Paris and London.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How on earth they think that'll work without a short haul network to feed into / subsidise it is a mystery.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So for flights to Norway from EU should be fine ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why wouldn't they be? Norway is part of the EEA and the Schengen area.

I’d say so, Norwegian Air Shuttle (the original short haul business) was always a decent enough airline with a sound operation. The long haul subsidiaries were the biggest risk to the overall business but they’re gone now.

Pretty much this. I can confirm locally here in Norway that the "classic" inter-Europe low-fares Norwegian Air Shuttle never went away and are running as usual. But yea...that whole Long-haul operation appears to be gone. You can still get a flight between Dublin and Oslo, no trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good news for the airline and hopefully more flights added from Dublin.

(Bloomberg) -- Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA reached an agreement in principle with Boeing Co. for the purchase of 50 737 Max jets, to be delivered when the carrier’s existing leases end.

The airline will take delivery of the planes between 2025 and 2028, according to a stock exchange filing Monday. Norwegian expects to finalize the order, which also includes options for an additional 30 aircraft, by the end of June.

Norwegian has focused on rebuilding its operations as a regional carrier after pivoting away from discount long-haul flights following since emerging from insolvency. The airline plans to make pre-delivery payments for the new Max jets through “positive cash flow from operating activities,” it said.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/norwegian-airlines-agrees-to-buy-50-boeing-737-max-jets-1.1772249

Good to hear.

Much of their old long haul fleet (and notably some people who used to chair NAS) have moved over to a new low-cost long-haul carrier Norse Atlantic Airways.

Norse Atlantic appear to be offering a very similar product to the old Norwegian long haul, with similar routes to North America and apparently the seating on these Dreamliners are pretty much the same as what Norwegian had installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Im surprised they are getting MAX jets, I thought they weren't going for them due to the safety issues and sticking with the 737-800s...

I think the MAX jets were a core pillar to their cheaper long-haul strategy. The whole Dublin to North America thing they tried was very dependent on the Max and it's range compared to the 800. They'd totally have gotten more if it weren't for the Max grounding, their own financial woes and then Covid.

Yeah but they're out of long haul for good now aren't they?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Initial cancellation had nothing to do with safety issues.

I think so. Although I've a feeling they might do some deals with Norse Atlantic where Norwegian passengers can do connecting flights with them to offer a long-haul product. Too many Norwegian-ish elements in the new Norse Atlantic, so I can't help but wonder if it's a cheeky way to maintain the original long-haul product while packaging it in a new brand / limited company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ryanair aren't in the longhaul market either, yet they're still buying the MAX. New MAX aircraft may world out cheaper in the long run than old 800s.

No doubt the MAX is a lot more fuel efficient than the 800s, Ryanair know what they're doing... Norwegian didn't.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Norweigan posted a profit for 2021, while Ryanair suffered a loss. That in itself says a lot.

Advertisement