Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There’s been a few forum posters over the years here that tick most of those boxes as well

It’s not just the private jet either , driving around in a Ferrari and travelling the world in 1st class and losing sleep over 10k Some **** business if you can’t manage a 10k unpaid debt.The other lad not being able to get 10k together and wearing 50k on the wrist . They should be embarrassed by themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think it’s the 10k debt. I think it’s more the 10k by Oisin. Watching the lad on YouTube swanning around. Getting new watches while not paying for the last ones. I also doubt Nico was intentionally not buying to wait and see if the watches were appreciating. It was six weeks for **** sake.

He is going live again. Has called Nico rat so I’m video title so must be doubling down. I might give him a 2 euro superchats later so I call him an asshole.

was nico not saying he was awake during the night because of the money ?id say nico is as much beyond his means as Oisin is .

I might give him a 2 euro superchats later so I call him an asshole.

i like that dedication of trolling , you could sign it off with “ from the lads at boards”

I also like how he complimented the guy about his patience when he has banking trouble….the same trouble that meant he couldn’t pay Nico…..I assume the man is paid now….so why ain’t Nico…

I would said the london fella be hopping now if he wasn’t paid.

so Nico had Roman sharf on and he said he has done 9 figures in deals with Nico. Oisin had a one man band with an insta page hahahahaha

it’s fair boring,

So nico has been doing 9 figure deals and he’s damaging his own reputation over 10k.? Doesn’t make sense. Both broke as f*ck I’d say

I think that’s over the year or some extended time period rather than a single deal. I suspect Nico is new to the watch game and this is the first market softening he has experienced. Hence panicking.

Paul t confirmed Spenser is paid for the AP……as of today! Despite Oisin saying it was paid two days ago. More lies.

Oisin also dropped that Spenser owes him money. Which means Oisin had no money and had to chop in watches to clear the debt.

I’ve never been a fan of Paul Thorpe but after watching his video earlier he actually comes across as the only decent one in all this

He is a little to sweet to be pure sugar

An honest guy don’t have to claim all the time to be honest which is what he do be at.

Good point . You’re right , it will be yesterday news and most of his future customers probably won’t even know about it .

Considering he ripped off his shop design and business plan from the lads in Amsterdam , plus folded a business there as well .None of that has stopped him so why would this minor drama have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All this lark is most off-putting. Never really got into any of these live streams, dunno why I watched parts of some of them over the last few days. I was far less giving out about Oisin than most, still really appreciate his content, but in what I watched today he was comparing himself to Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela. And having his cronies including that barking imbecile Tim lick his ass in public. Even gave out to Thorpe. For what, like for trying to help out and sort things? And yeah I got that right about the timing, The AP was only just now paid off so Nico - that loud mouthed short ass lad from Holland who I did not support at all in this discussion - was technically right on all those counts. And Thorpe really did try and broker a deal while money was still owed to Spencer. The latter two are the real elderly gentlemen. I can see where Nico was coming from though he could and should have handled it better. Oisin is not coming out of this all that well.

I don’t like either of them.

Not sure how anyone could be on Oisins side. The entire case for Oisin is built on he had to wait ages to get paid and values had changed…..but when he got the 42k……he had sold two of the watches else where (so I assume he was happy with the price he got elsewhere) and the third one was not as described, a year old and not “NOS and he was allowed an extra 2 k on this to make up for the value increase.

Oisin was being petty. A stain of a man who will die alone, maybe still regaling stores on YouTube to other simple men who stroke his ego enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though the same Thorpe chap is probably glad enough to be out of it and is likely doing the occasional deal anyway. Being in the game for decades before the hype and bubble would have been a lot more work, but minus the BS and more consistent and realistic and selling to actual customers. He'd also have been at the right age to make a fair few quid as things went more mainstream, especially if he'd held onto a couple of "retirement plan" examples. Put it this way in the early 90's a Paul Newman Daytona was around two grand, a Milsub about the same(I seem to recall he had one of these for years), "ordinary" Subs under a grand. If you had a time machine armed with the knowledge of today and ten grand to spend you'd come back a millionaire or close to it.

Though it's easy to forget how hard it was to actually buy "old" watches when he was doing his thing. Never mind that building knowledge was a struggle. Here in Ireland it was basically general and house auctions and feck all would be coming up. When stuff did it was mostly no name stuff, modern for the time no name digitals, crappy pocketwatches, lots of Rotary, the occasional Omega and Tudor/Rolex. All dress watches. I don't think I ever saw a chronograph. A trip to London was a real eye opener, but I had no clue what I was looking at, though dealers were helpful. So to be fair to Paul Thorpe he would have put the leg work in. Today, six months of evenings on Google and you'd have your reference numbers and attendant BS down pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Watch youtube pays so poorly and so irregularly that I feel anyone that needs the income cannot afford the hobby in the first place. The credit bubble burst when the first hints of the Credit default swaps going south was happening, I feel we are seeing the first casualties of the watch game going down.

This doxing bullshit is pissing me off. Oisin doxed the french girl in the worst possible way, publishing her name and that she was a sex worker. Any doxing he gets in return is fair play. Nico is a hot head, but he is the injured party. He wears his personality publically, that he went atomic and has a huge platform should not come as supprise to anyone....deal with him, deal with his personality/persona.

There are a few youtubers that keep it straight and professional. Bark and Jack, Federico, Christian, watch box, Roman, Eric and a few others.....problem is the easy money that watches were has attracted all sorts of easy money sorts. There is no easy money, it all comes at a price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Before covid hit I reckoned we'd hit peak watch, but covid gave it a boost and extended it, but it's been following all the bullet points of an asset bubble for years, especially the last three or four. When I saw comments in Hodink editorials of guys taking out loans to get on board that was one of the final bullet points. That and more flippers than a pinball emporium. Now it's coming out that a large chunk of this market are dealers/flippers selling to other dealers/flippers. Nico has mentioned this and in one vid of his where he's selling to an actual customer it was a "basic" Sub rather than the ohmigoditswortheleventymilliondollars watches*. The latter seem to be nearly all bouncing around in the trade gathering "value". Until the day they don't. Another one to watch are auction house sales and softening or no sales there. That was a canary in the coalmine for the vintage end of things.

If you own or are dealing in the "basic" stuff the values will soften, but it'll likely return to the mean of say ten years ago. Not an issue to the average actual hobbyist. If you own or are dealing in the ohmigoditswortheleventymilliondollars stuff, I'd be trying to offload like a maniac now. That's where shirts will be lost.

*I noticed in one of his recent vids where he bought watches they were datejusts a Tudor chrono, a vintage Longines and a vintage Omega quartz. Bread and butter stuff. That's being sensible, if sense is the right word in that game.

A non Oisin / nico question .

weirs are advertising a Patek exhibition for next weekend , I think a few from here put their names on a list during the last exhibition , maybe @Cyrus or @Fitz II Has anyone been able to purchase a watch since the exhibition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Haven’t heard a thing since and I have emailed the manager a few times , I think they like getting expressions of interest but doesn’t help them get the watches any quicker …

That’s a shame . I was wishfully thinking that it was a starting point for getting a watch but would seem it’s no different than calling in at any time and putting your name down .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Weirs ignore me, I email and pop in from time to time but they never return the call. Last time I was in I was told even a Calatrava was a wait list watch now. I look forward to them ringing when the market has crashed and offering me something, choice words await. ts a fun exhibition seeing all the watches, but its frustrating like being a man with no micky in a brothel....nice to look but in the end a frustrating outing that highlights your inadequacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

LOL! That's a new one to me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I like the look of this new Longines.

I had one of the sixties ones back in the 90's. Gorgeous watch, hefty too, real quality(pricey when new). IMHO ahead of the equivalent Seamaster and Submariner of the time. Though mine's bezel was a bit fecked. I'd never heard a high beat movement before(and one of only three automatics I've had). I remember showing it to my dad, a fellow Longines fanboy and him laughing saying it sounded like it was about to burst. 😁 Sadly it started stopping and starting and back then I could get nobody to service it, because of issues with spares or something about sealed bits like the mainspring barrel. Sold it on the old Timezone forum. First time I'd ever bought and sold a watch on the interwebs. I'm sure I have an old stylee photograph of it somewhere. The memory of it was one big reason I later jumped on my Ultronic.

TBH I prefer the original flouro orange hand compared to their red. And actually prefer having the date(which I dislike on their Legend diver).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I spent a bit of time looking up that new ultrachron diver. It seems a very nice watch for a similar price to say a tudor black bay. 52 hour power reserve with a 36K bph and accuracy beyond COSC. I like it enough to go see one in the flesh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's lovely, but, there's always a but with Longines. IMHO their new watches are just a re-hash of something better that they made in the past. I always prefer the vintage version of Longines' watches, much better bang for my buck.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Ive always found that longines seem to be hindered by their price point. It’s as if the watch sets out to be very good and then has to be reined back into its price point .

Pretty much Blue. With the caveat that the originals will be as waterproof as a colander, unless you get lucky with NOS and even then and they're going to be smaller, with the exception of the original Legend Diver, but values on them are still strong. The original Ultra Chron diver came in a few styles and they're all going to be cheaper than the new one, around the 2-3K mark, and will come with an inhouse movement that was making waves at the time.* They're also a pretty "modern" size too. There's one very large case(maybe not for our Unkel😁) style and a SuperCompressor type. And all the other styles they put this movement into. These days servicing is far less of an issue too.

The way the Swatch group is set up with "tiers" there is no way they'd be allowed to directly compete with Omega. Maybe if LMVH had bought the brand they would be a direct competitor? One area they might have done so was in chronographs. They were the chronograph brand of the 20th century and about the only Swiss brand making their own inhouse for most of that time. Look at pretty much every chrono out there, with its two buttons. That was Longines. They did it first(not Breitling, they were seven years too late). First flyback too. And instantaneous minute recorder. Lange & Sohne claimed their Datagraph released in 1999 was the first to have both flyback and an instantaneous minute recorder. Longines said "hold my beer" seventy years previously.

Oh and look at the case style. Patek claim that they were the first to come up with the more "modern" integrated swooping lugs as opposed to the thin wire lugs of early wristwatches with their Calatrava of 1933. The above Longines is from 1929... And there are a couple made in 1928 out there, or not. Likely melted down decades ago. The enamel dial is a giveaway of the era, though no currently produced enamel dial gets within an asses roar of the quality that was being produced by the dial makers back then(though you can tell that one was hand done for a limited production run). The back is a cuvette too, very pocketwatch altogether. The pushers being square is more "modern" too, most having a round button back then.

*though oddly and unlike Seiko and Girard Perregaux with their high beat movements, Longines, who won more prizes in the various chronometer competitions than anyone else and by a goodly margin(Omega was 2nd 150 prizes behind them) and had been winning "Grand Prix" in timekeeping since the 1880s, didn't enter it into the trials. Instead put their inhouse quartz forward for the last few years of the main competition(Omega did the same with an Omega tweaked Beta 20). Even odder is that they very rarely bothered paying to have "chronometer" on their dials, though these Ultra Chrons are the "easiest" to find with it(and have the auto rotor in gold). They did push "The world's most honoured watch" alright but...

Actually few brands pushed the "official chronometer" angle. Omega really only started to in any numbers with their ESA tuning fork movement watches(which were a sure thing). Rolex were the only brand who seemed to want to make it their thing from the early fifties onward. Indeed Hans Wilsdorf was the first to put a wristwatch movement up for the rating in 1909(but didn't take that further at the time). Even though they were utter barely rans in the actual competitions. Maybe "chronometer" wasn't an accolade the average watch buyer cared about? Or they thought of ships clocks? I have no idea, but it was a very clever move on the part of Rolex and fair play. Today if you ask someone about "chronometer" they're likely to think of Rolex. Everyone else is playing catchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

New limited edition grand seiko quartz, supposed to be around £3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Saw that, SBGP017. It has an exhibition back so you can see 9F85 movement, it's the 5 second per year variant with the one hour index without hacking. 55th anniversary of the 44GS case. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Like the look of the new Seiko Arnies. Prefer the screen at the bottom it looks better integrated. Full Stainless version would tempt me most but I do like the Padi version.