Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giro Stage 20 - Belluno to Marmolada (Passo Fedaia) (168km)

• 28-05-2022 12:41pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Final Climb:

As I write things are underway and the break has 6 minutes and with both Bora and Bahrain having a rider in it then it's up to Ineos to decide on it's fate. Too late for me to check the pre-race betting but no doubt the top 3 were the favourites. Carapaz still has no stage win which is something that is often remarked on when someone wins a Grand Tour so how is his ego? The final climb and the final 5km are where we can assume it will all be decided and where we expect the GC guys will also be competing for the stage. Surely the break won't see this through? Then again MvdP is up there yet again.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Few other things:-

1. Landa absolutely has to try something if he really wants this.
    2. Watch out for Nibali on the descent of the Pordoi (second big climb). If he wants to sign off on a high that has to be the time for him to do it.
    3. Maybe Carapaz is happy going into tomorrow a few seconds ahead of Hindley?
    4. It's not really been edge of your seat stuff despite the GC being so tight. The top 3 have all been riding quite conservatively attacking half-heartedly at best. Today hopefully that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bahrain look like they’re setting up for Landa already, let’s see if they can pull it off.

I can’t see Hindley making a break without INEOS and Carapaz covering it off, they’re too evenly matched

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is that Sutterlin on the front of the peloton with a godawful chest tattoo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Picture from yesterdays finish they were talking about on Eurosport. Very good.

Allez Jai!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Finally happening. Landa gone and now Carapaz!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fantastic stuff from Jai Hindley, delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I stand corrected, phenomenal stuff from Jai

I didn't think we'd see it. Thought it would be deadlocked going into the ITT tomorrow. Delighted for Jai but delighted for Bora as a team as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great win for Hindley. Kamna was there to help out at the perfect time.

I thought we'd end up seeing no GC action.

I'm also very happy that Novak the Bahrain rider didn't win the stage, because he did absolutely no work on the breakaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Fantastic for Jai and Bora. Bora’s tactics streets ahead of Ineos with the satellite rider there at just right time.

Yeah, I can't believe Ineos didn't send anybody in the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Delighted for Hindley, Bora definitely out smarted Ineos today.

In fairness Novak was under orders not to work. Felt sorry for him as he obviously felt he could have competed for the win had he been let go earlier. Also hard not to feel sorry for Carapaz. Like others it's his team I dislike not him.

Hindley has been seriously impressive in the mountains. I hope he does the Tour next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I don't know if Bora out-tacticed Ineos. It only looks like that because Carapaz didn't have the legs at the end.

Delighted for Hindley though and fully deserved. I thought that he looked a touch better than Carapaz at the end of most stages, but either the final climb wasn't tough enough or he didn't believe in himself enough to go for it. Hopefully we'll see more of him battling for the win in future Grand Tours. The pelaton really needs more guys near the top.

Will we see him at the Vuelta?

Missed the last 80k of that stage, only caught up last night, great by hindley and kamna, what do i know thinking carapaz would drop everyone??

Carapaz completely blew, carthy and landa passed him and even kamna attacked him before the end. Formolo riding behind him, who is a man of many faces, looked like he was on a sunday stroll while carapaz was rocking all over the shop to cross the line

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I don’t understand why Ineos drove it on after Bahrain if Carapaz didn’t have good legs. They basically burnt out his support making it all or nothing for him v Hindley. He could have limited the damage to 20-30 seconds maybe if they just let Hindley attack. Maybe they just thought Carapaz would smoke Hindley?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bora have out tacticed Ineos all Giro. They started the whole GC battle by riding hard when no one expected them to and nearly always had satellite riders in the breaks. Hindley spoke after Fridays stage that their plan didn’t work and they changed track but otherwise they’ve been great throughout.

MVDP and Eenkhoorn having the craic yesterday

• Advertisement
Advertisement