Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quarry || Supermassive Games || PC, PS4, PS5, XB1, Series S & X

• 27-05-2022 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

Supermassive's latest choose-your-own-horror-adventure releases on June 10th. It's seen as more of a sequel/successor to Until Dawn rather than being a continuation of The Dark Pictures Anthology.

The Quarry’s key features:

• Your Story, Their Fate - Will you dare to check what's behind that trap door? Will you investigate the screams echoing from within the forest? Will you save your friends or desperately run for your life? Every choice, big or small, shapes your story and determines who lives to tell the tale.
    • A Stunning Cinematic Experience - Cutting-edge facial capture and filmic lighting techniques, combined with incredible performances from an iconic ensemble cast of Hollywood talent, bring the horrors of Hackett’s Quarry to life in a pulse-pounding, cinematic thrill ride.
    • Enjoy The Fright with Friends - Place your faith in up to seven friends in online play, where invited players watch along and vote on key decisions, creating a story shaped by the whole group! Or, play together in a party horror couch co-op experience where each player picks a counselor and controls their actions.
    • Customize Your Experience - Adjustable difficulty for all gameplay elements let players of any skill level enjoy the horror. And if you prefer to watch rather than play, Movie Mode lets you enjoy The Quarry as a binge-worthy cinematic thriller. Select how you want the story to unfold, kick back, and munch on some popcorn in between all the screams!

It'll feature SP, couch co-op, movie mode, and online MP. The latter has been delayed though.

There are lots of previews and hand-on reports doing the rounds at the moment, although I've been ignoring them pretty much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm hoping they keep this one silly because I'm really not convinced Supermassive can actually craft a decent story. If it's b-movie shlock I'll love it but if they are aiming for Silent Hill 2 and failing miserably as usual I don't think I can put myself through another one of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I absolutely want this day one but 75 quid is a bit steep and bang when the new PS Premium is out makes this a tough choice. I read a preview saying there's truth or dare, skinny dipping and monsters chasing you through the woods, sounds like the silly horror it should be.

Just saw it's cheaper in Smyths, 50 for ps4 and 55 for ps5, compared to 75 on psn store and Gamestop. I can't find the next gen enhancements anywhere and there's an option to buy an upgrade from old gen to next gen. I imagine it's still find look and play for on ps4, 50 is a tempting price.

Amazon.ie selling the ps4 version for €52.86 (currently on sale from 70 euro) and the PS5 version for €76.36.

Just got €50 euro Amazon voucher from work today so gonna get the ps4 version with plans to cex it after i clear it ( no interest in the 400 endings) and will probably get most if not all money back for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Been looking forward to this since the original post a few months ago on Instagram regarding the release, are there any reviews yet? Don't fancy dropping €70 on release day if it's crap, I refuse to pre-order so will be waiting to hear peoples opinions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Reviews are out today and are largely positive, although I didn't delve into any single review too deeply. Apparently there's a bit of jank (as probably expected), but generally it just seems to be fun. A few mention it as being an improvement over the Dark Pictures games, and a worthy follow up to Until Dawn.

Looks like a solid 7/10 game.

My Amazon copy was due to arrive Tuesday (I wasn't pushed anyway) but just got an email that's it's been upgraded to arrive on release day Friday at no extra charge. Mmm you'd kind of be hoping for that service anyway but i get Amazon has been shyte with delays recently. Looking forward to getting stuck in over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So has anyone bought and played it yet?

Got my copy today but won't be trying it until tomorrow night, will post my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

ordered it wednesday evening from gamestop .. no sign of it being shipped on an post link 💔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No Boardsie reviews yet?

I'm a little bit into chapter 2 and it has me hook line and sinker. Seems to be a big step up from anything they have done before. So far the voice actors are hitting it out the park for me. Hope games is as good full way through as start.

I've been away a couple of nights and then just mad busy and choosing sleep over gaming but i can't wait to finally give this a go. It's weird I'm seeing nothing about it online, very quiet launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Three chapters in, I hate every character, I know its supposed to be a loss take on horror movie schtick so maybe that's a good thing. Movement is ridiculously slow and choices are stupid most of the time.

Far to similar to until dawn for my liking.

Finely getting into this, guessing near the end of chapter 1. It's jarring hope everyone's mouths look like their made of elastic and the amount of times one character is staring at the other person's neck when talking to them.

Janky as hell to move around, looking forward now to getting past the horny teens and get to the gore.

I'm a bit shocked on the lack of value. Cex offering 21 cash and Gamestop offering 31 credit. Haven't seen that low an offer for a 70 quid game in a long time.

Chapter 1 and 2 were snooze fests, literally. I fell asleep during chapter 2, but then i was very tired, woke up with my character going on circles, i had been leaning on the analogue stick, would have been funny if i got killed.

Anyway, chapter 3 really kicks it up a gear and chapter 4 was flew by. No one dead yet but some close calls and definitely seeing some of my choices having an effect . Hoping the rest of the chapters keep up this pace as i have a ton of games to play on the new PS Plus.

I'm not looking for any collectibles, and I'm not even pushed if anyone dies, except for Kaitlyn. Her actor Brenda Song steals every scene, makes everyone else seem below par. She also has the best animation, not sure if that's related or not.

I'm on chapter 7 and it's a nice brisk pace thankfully. The story is actually good in so far that if i was watching this as a 2 hour horror film, I'd be munching on the popcorn. I have everyone still alive except for 1 who..... I'm not sure of yet. I'm glad i only paid 50 for it, it's not a 75 quid game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I'm at the same place. Agree first 2 chapters took a while but were setting the scene tbf. Done 3 chapters a night since and really enjoying it, there's a good mix of suspense horror and intriguing storyline.

Re value, it's showing on Gamestop's trading boost list so should be able to get 50quid credit, at least if traded soon

https://www.gamestop.ie/trade-list#

I got the ps4 copy (it were was discounted on Amazon from 70 to 50) and it only lasted a few days on gamestops trade list for 50 cred, sickner. They're offering 31 credit for it so i will have definitely got 19 euro with of value from it.

• Advertisement

I'm half way through Chapter 9, man this has just gotten better and better as it went. Nearly every decision I've made in this chapter seemed big and a few really had me going back and forth on what to do. I think i have everyone still alive but doubt that will last much longer. Really looking how the story is playing out, glad i got this.

Aw god **** dammit!!! End of chapter 9, my phone buzzed, i glance down, look up and I'm on my way to failing a qte. Didn't get it in time and not only got 1 killed, pretty sure caused another instant death and possibly more i don't know about yet. My own fault, you cannot take your eyes off the screen in chapter 9.

Aaawwww fuuuuuuuck.... and done at 7 hours 44 minutes.

That 1 mistake has locked me out of a good chunk of chapter 10. Majority of councillors alive but the ones who are able to finish the story completely are dead so that's where my story ended. I can absolutely see the tons of different ending potential and loved the game as a whole, ton of fun and loved the ending, as **** as the one i got. Sickened with myself i missed out on the proper ending. Spoilers below of how my story ended.

In chap 9, i missed the opportunity to shoot Chris as Ryan so got Ryan killed and then Laura attacked Travis both killing each other. Because of that, no one got cured from Chris dying, Laura and Travis couldn't team up and couldn't go after Silas to finish the story proper. There's a chapter select so i might go back to do it again but with these games, i like to play once and have that be my story. However, because of my fluff up, I'll think about it.

**** great game though.

That's me done. Enjoyed it a lot, definitely one that gets better and better the further you get. I did think the QTEs in general were a little easier (more reaction time) than most of these genre of games, but still managed to get a good few of the group killed by my choices. Ah sure, they probably deserved it ;)

finished it there . i think it was their best game but i'm burnt out from them now iv played this and 3 dark pictures in last 12 months . was very good all through but found last chapter terrible 😅all voice actors very good bar whoever voiced ryan i'd have done a better job myself 😀

How do the dark pictures hold up compared to this? I see Man of Medan and Little Hope are on PS Plus, just check them out.

Little Hope is the best of the Dark Pictures imo. Not quite as good as Quarry or Until Dawn but worth a playthrough for anyone into these games. All the DP games are fairly short, probably each are 4-5 hrs for a playthrough

i didnt like little hope at all. I liked the other two though.

Advertisement