Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The only drawback of the Mountfield is the cut height 22-65mm.

I'd argue any height less than 40mm is unusable in Irish Gardens, you would scalp everything.

65mm is way too low , I like a 90mm high cut .

I didnt realise Screwfix have a place in Cork now, must be new enough, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭deezell

I've done a bodge of moving the height lever rack by unscrewing and drilling a few new holes on a Cobra, I notice the height rack on that Mountfield are holes pressed into the deck. There may be room to fabricate an extra one, by bringing the lever up past the last one or end stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There arelimits (EU?) on height of cut, don't know what they are now but anything high enough to easily slip a foot under is I believe too high.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Nanny rules, for people who go out to mow in open toe sandals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Zverklez

I've seen a few mentions of the Webb 51cm 173cc from the Coop Superstores here since I purchased one. It is going well considering the price, but the blade is deteriorating quickly. The Coop doesn't carry the 51cm blade, and with delivery, the OEM part costs approx €65 from UK!

I wanted to check get opinions on me changing this out for another 51cm mulching blade since that is what I mostly use it for - provided the key is compatible, should this be OK?

There's no guarantee it would even get through from the UK what with an Post returning so much stuff. There's a good selection of universal 20"/51cm blades here, they come with adapters.

https://lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/categories/universal-blades

Good site. I've had a few orders from them, well priced.

Do you have the part no. for the Webb blade. There are probably plenty of identical blades used in other generic makes. Key measurements are blade length, diagonal tip to tip. Centre hole diameter, key hole radius and key hole diameter.

If you're Dublin based McKennas in Glasnevin business park are a trove of parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i am thinking of buying a second hand push lawnmower ,have been using a ride but having gearbox problems say its at end of the road now, looking at a warrior , cant seem to find much on line on this model, warrior any good?

Chinese built mower, an odd one for sale in some of the hardware stores, but it has a decent B&S engine, looks similar to Cobra and other brands. I don't know who distributes it here, but I see a 22" alloy deck variant at €600 in some Topline, Grange stores etc, which suggests it's a bit better than the run of the mill generics. That used 20" one for sale is basic enough, but be wary of finding exact parts such as cables, wheels etc. If you have breakdowns. There's an email address for the European contact, 'Conor at luxiaochu@warrior-tools.com ' on the company website, so you could ask him. I'm guessing it was maybe €400, new, or less. I wouldn't pay more than €200 for that one, looks maybe 5 years old, but little wear on the foam handgrip, so mightn't have done much work.

http://www.warrior-tools.com/product/14/

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Have a John Deere x330r and it just died. Think the issue is electrical. It was bought second hand and I have had it over 8 years now. 510 hours on the machine.

Does electrical problems mean it’s time to get rid or would it be worth repairing ?

• Advertisement

Unless it died with lots of banging and clattering and smoke, it's unlikely to be anything serious. It could be as simple as a cable becoming detached, a fuel blockage, a lot of small things. If it still turns over on the starter, and it sounds the same as it turns, then that rules out a broken valves or timing. Take out a plug, reconnect its cable and turn over. If there's no spark, fix will be simple. John Deere is a sought after name, a running machine, even 10 years old, is worth a premium. It's a big 107cm cut, v twin engine, worth repairing, certainly work an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Ya it’s not turning over so hopefully something small. Going to garage this week so hopefully will be an easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Finally got the Stihl 5112Z delivered this week after weeks waiting since ordering it. Used it for the first time yesterday, very impressed with the quality of the cut and it leaves a lovely finish on the lawn compared to the old self propelled I had been using up to now. Glad I went for a machine with a big enough engine because when I was mowing the long sloping lawn going uphill you could feel that the engine was using all of the power at it's disposal.

Overall quite happy with it, good wide cut and when I get a bit more used to operating it I'd say I'll be able to get the 0.5 acre of lawns done in no time at all. The only thing I'm not too happy with is the grass box. I had to take it off before using the mower because it had been delivered with the mulching insert already fitted and I wanted to take that out. Trying to get the grass box back on was an absolute nightmare even though I was following the manual instructions. Finally discovered that when the release handle on top was pulled up it still wasn't providing enough clearance for the mower hooks to latch on. It's a very wide handle and needs to be pulled up tight at both ends to provide the neccessary clearance for the hooks, but you can only pull it up with one hand as the other hand is needed to hold the bottom of the box in place! So had to keep one end of the handle pulled up with a cable tie while pulling the other end up with my hand and finally that worked. So, not exactly relishing having to go through all that every time the grass box has to be put back on.

Also when mowing, on one occasion when I went to empty the grass box it was stuck and would not open. Had to get off and jiggle the box around while pressing the lever down and then it freed itself. That only happened on the last time emptying, the previous two times it was fine, so hoping it was just a once off.

But apart from the grass box issues I'm quite happy with the mower itself. It's my first ride on so may have a few questions. First one is regarding the battery. Does starting the engine take much out of the battery and should I be letting it run for a while after starting? I'm asking because as well as mowing I'll be using it with a trailer to move stuff around the garden and the yard and just wondering if it's ok to start it, drive a short distance towing some stuff and then turn it off again to unload? Or will doing that repeatedly drain the battery and should be it left running instead while loading and unloading?

I wouldn't worry too much about the stop start provided the mower gets a good run occasionally with less stopping and starting. Over the years I've ues loads of different lawn tractors and often used them for towing while stopping and starting. One job I did a lot of was hedge cutting working off a trailer and the tractor was stop start all day and never a problem. If you are bothered you can get a charger as an accessory https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-tools-A-great-range/Robotic-mowers-lawn-mowers-ride-on-mowers-and-lawn-scarifiers/Ride-on-mowers/292203-95578/RT-5112-Z.aspx or get a cheap charger in Lidl that will do just as good for less than €20. That way you can be 100% sure you have a full charge before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Thanks for that info C.O.

Yeah, I meant to ask if there was any particular charger people would recommend. I intend avoiding the own brand Stihl one as it's sure to be way overpriced.

I have the own brand one for my Honda and its a lot more basic than the one you can get in Lidl which I know can be left attached over winter as a neighbor does that. Only think with the Lidl one when they have it is that it needs resetting if you get a power cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

It may have been asked but dose anyone know who supplies battery powered ride on's in Ireland. I think its time to ditch the 5lt petrol can.

Be careful using a cheap charger on the sealed or gel batteries used in these mowers, you can trash them easily enough. Best charger is one of the intelligent ones, I use an Optimate 3 800ma, very useful for gently recovering batteries left unused with low charge. Ideal for car, motorcycle, mower, sealed and AGM types, and it has a maintenance mode which is perfect for winter.

https://www.fc-moto.de/en/OptiMate-3-SAE

Heres the 1amp Optimate 4 for a great price also. https://www.louis.ie/artikel/optimate-4-dual-can-bus-battery-charger/1003748

The lidl one is fine its "intelligent" and I've seen it left connected to the same battery for months, the only downsides are a) it goes off with the power and you have to reset it and b) it won't bring a totally flat battery back to life but for about €15 last time I bought one you can't have everything.

The Optimate worked really well on an under driven second car which always flagged low voltage even the next day after a reasonable drive. The conditioning program seemed to get the battery back on proper charging track. Another win was a Lexus petrol hybrid which has a small system battery as well as the hybrid drive battery. System battery was going flat after short layups of a week or so, and the car wouldn't boot up, or use its hybrid battery which is not in any way available to the 12v circuits. An overnight on the Optimate and the problem didn't recur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The father's mower has stopped working, this thing seems to be the problem.

Any idea where I'd get a replacement?

The Mower is a Sovereign XSS40A made in China, not that it matters. Almost zero results on Google.

It's a fuel primer bulb, here's one with new tubing. Is that one burst?, or is the tube brittle and loose. I had one on a Stiga with a big hole in it but it still worked with your finger over it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primer-Tecumseh-HMSK100-HMSK105-HMSK110/dp/B07FFTPQ1R/ref=pd_aw_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07FFTPQ1R&psc=1

Its much bigger than them, going by the site. It appears to be leaking and not priming properly.

Its about double the size of a B&S primer for comparison.

Actually looking at the same part on another site they appear similar in size, but they lack the clip thing at the hose "root" that holds it in place (plastic spring clip at either side).

Its much bigger than them, going by the site. It appears to be leaking and not priming properly.

All it does is prime the carburetor it doesn't matter what size it is provided you can fit it somewhere on the engine. If its smaller it doesn't matter just pump it a couple more times.

You'd have to bodge it in place. Doing a general search and looking at images you might spot an identical one. If you can find the engine label and identify the engine, you might find the engine parts list then a part number. Its probably fitted to hundreds if generic brands. Heres a site with 141 weird and wacky bulbs.

https://newgardenstore.eu/en/451-primer-bulbs#/page-8

True.

I want something that will be able to be used easily by an 87 year old. (He's using the old electric mower at present instead).

• Advertisement

If the original bulb base clips in place then see if you can keep the base, dump the rubber bit and drill say a 10mm hole where the pipe is attached then epoxy resin the new smaller primer to the old base with the new or old pipe going out the hole?

Advertisement