Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is The Northman slow?

• 24-05-2022 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Choosing a movie for when people come over, most of them don't watch movies.

I've heard The Northman is quite artsy and slow and that the 'this generation's Gladiator' marketing stuff is misleading but how slow is it?

Random movies for comparison - last time we watched Shutter Island which everyone enjoyed to my surprise, thought that was considered a slow movie too? Bladerunner 2049 did not go down well at all though.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Well it's over 2 hours long, so that might be too much for some people. As for the story, just think Hamlet with Vikings and lots of screaming.

Edit: For some reason my post went up twice, I don't know why.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The easiest comparison I can think of is Green Knight, although the Northman is like a more mainstream complement to it. Yes, it's vikings, but it's also proto-Hamlet so don't go expecting movie-length GoT-style battles else you will be disappointed.

A lot of the film's strengths are down to visuals and sound, so IMO you're already on the back foot if you're talking about watching at home with at least some non-film-fans in the group (unless you're watching on a projector with decent sound, obv).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I liked the film, but I'd personally consider it a poor option for a risk-averse or casual group. It's a straightforward story told in an eccentric and yes sometimes slow-burning way.

Gladiator it absolutely is not, and that marketing blurb does the film a disservice IMO by setting false expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Not a group film, better off watching it yourself on your own. It's not like Gladiator whatsoever, its more like the early 60's Japanese samurai revenge films like 'Harakari' than anything, they are not group watching films either but are brilliant to watch and give patience to get the payoff by yourself

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its nothing like Gladiator, its very good I thought - I liked it when watching in cinema. I don't think it would be a home movie group kinda thing at all though.

Whoever said think Hamlet was bang on imo, and I thought that during the movie also.

The mood, the visuals etc are all very good, but I would think you would need to be zoned in rather than casual viewing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Throw on Roadhouse. Impossible for everyone not to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

It's malogen,HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

It's more like a Viking version of apocalypto with some 300 type visuals.

Lots of mythology, ceremonies, visions etc with quite graphic and stylised violence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

OP should just throw on "Apocalypto".

Advertisement