Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noise semi detached

• 24-05-2022 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi folks. Love some help. Bought a semi detached, and very happy with it but not when it comes to noise level. I hear everything in my neighbours house and they hear me. There renting, I purchased. Like I hear when they even turn in the bed, if I plug in my phone charger quietly into wall, then baby next door screams crying. I'm literally tippy toeing around the house at night, tv never on in my side, just pure crap like. What could I do to fix this issue. Solid timber floors upstairs also. Build in around 2005. Lovely house but you have ZERO privacy. Anyone get a proper solution to this? Every house is the same in the estate as far as I know with noise. What's the best thing I could do. If anyone can give good advise or help I'll really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

No easy way but you could insulate the walls more the best affordable way is to soundproof your walls effectively is to use drywall and other materials to create an air-tight wall space. Installed over insulation and sealed in to form an extra layer in your walls, drywall forms a solid barrier for sound.

You might lose a couple of inches on your room size but it will improve the sound level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

No quick, cheap solution - but loads of companies out there to help

Use Google to help - search 'Noise reduction/soundproofing a house'

Example -https://proinsulation.ie/soundproofing-dublin/

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Put as much insulation in as you want, but it never works. Terraces, semi-ds and apartments are all the same. You will hear the people all around you. You share a building. I know people who have paid small fortunes for sound insulation and while it makes the noise a bit less they are always disappointed with the results.

If its new to you then it will take a while to get used to it, but eventually you will get used to it and wont notice. Even if there is murder going on next door. Its just the sound of life going on.

There is no such thing as a sound proof house if it attached to other dwellings.

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is not true.

If a party wall is constructed correctly noise transfer between houses should be minimal, and not something you're likely to notice much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I live in a new build semi d and don't hear a single thing next door. Absolutely nothing. The only noise we hear is them closing their front door but that's through the wall vents to outside not through the walls themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Which obliviously wasn't done on the OPs house, or many built during the boom, and there's no easy way to rectify this. You can spend a fortune on dry lining and sound deadening materials but you'll never overcome the structural issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TechShop

Thanks very much folks, great info and I really do appreciate it. When I scrape up bit of money, I'll have to try something as said above and see if it does anything. Really appreciate all her time 🤝

Save yourself a lot of money and hassle. Get good earplugs and/or noise cancelling earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I always laugh at this suggestion. You can't be expected to live your life in your own home with earplugs in as a way of life.

Spending a fortune on sound proofing won't improve your life when the issue is structural, there is no way around the houses not being built right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have yet to enter an apartment, semi D or terraced house where next door cant be heard. Maybe Ive been walking into the wring houses all my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"Like I hear when they even turn in the bed, if I plug in my phone charger quietly into wall, then baby next door screams crying. I'm literally tippy toeing around the house at night, tv never on in my side, just pure crap like"

Going to be honest, it sounds like you have nothing in the wall between the two houses or significant gaps in it. Wood/block etc, they should be airtight to each other with significant mass between them.

I'm also going to add, nobody should be putting wood floors upstairs in their house or apartments. They just amplify noise and cause a huge amount of the problems that people have with semi-d's and apartments these days.

Advertisement